Fastest Speeds Ever Seen on WiMax

Paynefanbro

I for one have recieved speeds of 16mbps by my home. Robert explained it as the tower that I was connected to probably had few people on it along with AAV backhaul. That was the highest ever. Before I got my new EVO though, on average I would get anywhere from 10 to 13 Mbps.

I pulled 12megs down at LaGuardia aiport about 2 years ago using my og evo at the time and right before I sold my evo 3d I pulled 12megs down right here in atlanta. For the most part though my experience with wimax was pretty decent. I averaged about 6 to 10 megs where ever I actually got a signal.

When I could find a signal in RI about 6-10 was the norm depending on time of day.

When I'm down in Hollywood FL the average is 3-4Mbps at the condo which isn't bad considering I get a decent signal inside the unit and it's one of those older 12" thick cement type structures.

I have seen 17 Mbps in Austin, via a home modem set up in a car on a tower that pretty much only served a section of 360. With perfect signal.

Normal speeds are half to two-thirds of that, but it's fun seeing WiMAX go faster than CricKet LTE.

I have seen WiMAX at 75 mph. Does that count?

AJ

• Like 5

How about 100 mph?

No, the max speed limit here is 75 mph. Any higher would be unauthorized speeding, a violation of the Ts and Cs.

AJ

• Like 3

No, the max speed limit here is 75 mph. Any higher would be unauthorized speeding, a violation of the Ts and Cs.

AJ

He didn't necessarily reach that speed in a car.

I know they took a Nexus S into space. Was it the 4g? dun dun dun.........

He didn't necessarily reach that speed in a car.

Well, then, he must be wearing Superman tights because supposedly WiMAX 2600 cannot penetrate even a wet paper bag.

AJ

• Like 4

This would be a great article.

Signal Propagation: WiMAX vs. the wet-paper bag(pt. 1) :tu:

From my experience increasing wetness increases penetration.

• Like 6

When wimax was first released, I signed up for clear with an at home wimax modem. I had probably the best signal possible (-30dbm or so, if I recall correctly).

I tested the max stream (multiple connections) at 16mbit in Boston. I never saw anything higher.

Some people reported higher speeds elsewhere...

From my experience increasing wetness increases penetration.

AJ

Whats AAV backhaul and how will i know if my area has clear AAV backhaul

Alternative access vendors (AAVs) such as cable MSOs, CLECs, pure-play backhaul providers and even utilities.

...or, as I like to think of it, AAV is (in my best Transylvanian accent) "Almost Anybody Vut" the Baby Bells.

AJ

Luckily I get a great WiMax signal at home even though my area is just a WiMax protection site. Even indoors I pull about 8-10 mbps which is great for a backup Internet source if my Comcast goes out like it frequently does.

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.