kckid

I would love to see a high-end Motorola phone come to Sprint. I've always liked their devices, but they never had nice phones on T-mo(fo) or Sprint. One day, hopefully... Also, I found the portmanteau legroom funny and pronounced it le-groom... I was like what?

-Luis

I rather liked the Motorola Photon. Thing pulled EV-DO down where other devices dropped 1X, so it sold well around here. Too bad Moto dropped the ball on upgrading it to ICS.

Also, I found the portmanteau legroom funny and pronounced it le-groom... I was like what?

This is le groom, and here comes le bride.

;)

AJ

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The whole X Phone rumor is bizarre. Customizable hardware? I don't know how that can scale for manufacturing. They'd practically be making sixty-odd different models.

My guess is that some 'sources' are misconstruing interchangeable back covers for 'full customizability.' Like the old Nokia candy bars.

Unless Guy Kawasaki is ineptly trying to stir the rumor pot. http://androidandme.com/2013/03/smartphones-2/motorolas-guy-kawasaki-is-either-teasing-the-x-phone-or-totally-messing-with-us/

I do hope Sprint works out a better relationship with Motorola. But now since Googlerola is responsible for the handsets, I'd imagine them to snuggle up to Sprint for their tier 1 handsets. I'd love a quad-core, 1080p screen, and 3300mAh battery powered device running stock Android, with tri-band LTE of course. :-)

• Like 1

I have always said my next phone will be a pure Android (aka Nexus) after suffering the delays of getting updates (or actually, NOT getting updates from Samsung and HTC) but I have never gotten one. If Motorola puts out something decent with the pure Android experience and tri-band LTE, that will be my next phone.

• Like 1

My history with motorola has not been great. Since the announcement of the cancellation of the ICS upgrade on my Photon 4G, I have lost all faith in motorola doing the right thing. Even the photon q 4g LTE phone still has not received the JB update and the moto website just says JB update coming for the photon q 4g lte and its already april.

Until motorola can prove to me that they can build a quality device and release android updates as fast as samsung can, i would advise anyone to avoid motorola with a 1000 ft pole. Btw i used to feel this way about samsung which was why i didnt get the gs2. But since then samsung has gone gangbusters and IMO went from worst manufacturer to best for android updates and motorola went from second best to worst manufacturer.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

My history with motorola has not been great. Since the announcement of the cancellation of the ICS upgrade on my Photon 4G, I have lost all faith in motorola doing the right thing. Even the photon q 4g LTE phone still has not received the JB update and the moto website just says JB update coming for the photon q 4g lte and its already april.

Until motorola can prove to me that they can build a quality device and release android updates as fast as samsung can, i would advise anyone to avoid motorola with a 1000 ft pole. Btw i used to feel this way about samsung which was why i didnt get the gs2. But since then samsung has gone gangbusters and IMO went from worst manufacturer to best for android updates and motorola went from second best to worst manufacturer.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Seconded.

But I believe that Googlerola will be better going forward. A lot of after-sale support by the manufacturer is built into their supplier/vendor contract with the carrier (we will pay you $x per sub that has your phone for two updates over the next nine months; bug fixes are your responsibility). And Motorola's acquisition only closed 10 months ago. Google CFO Patrick Pichette admitted they have 12-18 months of shitty products to roll through [source: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/03/08/motorola-is-still-a-work-in-progress-for-google/] before 'good' stuff starts being released, as that 12-18 months of product didn't 'wow' Google [source: http://blog.laptopmag.com/google-throws-motorola-under-the-bus-says-phones-lack-wow].

So, we're coming up on that 12-18 months in the second half of this year. Hopefully some good product announcements and after-sale support then. =)

After my experience with the Admiral, I don't know if I could ever trust Motorola to make a competent Android phone ever again. While I understand the DC functionality made the phone unique, the utter lack of usability of the keyboard & the dialer are beyond forgiveness. Surely they could have (and should have) done much, much better.

Now that I've said all that, that has been my only experience with a Motorola smartphone. Can someone convince me to give them another try? It's possible...but it won't be easy.

My brother and a guy i work with both carried the original droid for almost 4 years and never had any complaints. Now they both upgraded to the razor maxx and have no complaints about that device as well. Obviously they are both on verizon. I dont know anyone who has a motorola on another carrier to get there opinion

Seconded.

But I believe that Googlerola will be better going forward. A lot of after-sale support by the manufacturer is built into their supplier/vendor contract with the carrier (we will pay you $x per sub that has your phone for two updates over the next nine months; bug fixes are your responsibility). And Motorola's acquisition only closed 10 months ago. Google CFO Patrick Pichette admitted they have 12-18 months of shitty products to roll through [source: "]http://blogs.wsj.com...ss-for-google/] before 'good' stuff starts being released, as that 12-18 months of product didn't 'wow' Google [source: ."]http://blog.laptopma...ones-lack-wow].

So, we're coming up on that 12-18 months in the second half of this year. Hopefully some good product announcements and after-sale support then. =)

Until Googlerola can come up with a flagship phone that everyone in the world can identify with like all the other major manufacturers have now like the Galaxy S, Optimus G, or One series, Motorola will be behind. Motorola has done a good job with the Droid series with the RAZR and RAZR MAXX thus far however those phones are only exclusive to Verizon customers. Motorola has not made any significant phones for the other carriers in ATT, Sprint or Tmobile. The trend from phone manufacturers is to move away from exclusive carrier phones to releasing worldwide flagship phones to simplify manufacturing and economies of scale to reduce the number of models produced per year.

• Like 1

Until Googlerola can come up with a flagship phone that everyone in the world can identify with like all the other major manufacturers have now like the Galaxy S, Optimus G, or One series, Motorola will be behind. Motorola has done a good job with the Droid series with the RAZR and RAZR MAXX thus far however those phones are only exclusive to Verizon customers. Motorola has not made any significant phones for the other carriers in ATT, Sprint or Tmobile. The trend from phone manufacturers is to move away from exclusive carrier phones to releasing worldwide flagship phones to simplify manufacturing and economies of scale to reduce the number of models produced per year.

Definitely. Motorola needs their own brand of Android phones they can sell whole kit to carriers. They need to start walking away from special one off designs and builds. If you make a couple of good phones every year the same worldwide, component pricing and cost of goods sold drop, marketing dollars can be better spent, and people more identify with the brand name than the carrier.

But, Google owns it now, so who knows. =P

• 2 weeks later...
If Google leaves Sprint out in the dust on the X phone i'm going to be pissed.

Google is permanently out of the business of making 3GPP2 Nexus phones. Now if that extends to the X Phone, we will have to see. However the intellectual property complaints from somewhere on the 3GPP2 side that caused the CDMA Nexii to not be in the AOSP database for a long time really burned Google bad. I don't know who submitted the complaints that caused the CDMA devices to be removed from AOSP, but I suspect it was Qualcomm.

• 1 month later...

According to the FCC paper work it will only have lte band 25. That is a deal breaker for me, I will not buy another sprint phone with only 1900 lte.

I don't think this XFON phone to be released soon on most carriers is the Motorola X phone.  Look at this post for more information.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3899-new-motorola-x-phone-rumor-slated-for-october-moto-ceo-confirms-at-d11-conference/?p=146325

• 1 month later...

I don't think this XFON phone to be released soon on most carriers is the Motorola X phone.  Look at this post for more information.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3899-new-motorola-x-phone-rumor-slated-for-october-moto-ceo-confirms-at-d11-conference/?p=146325

Hope you are right.  X phone may be my next if it comes to Sprint with Tri-band.  But in reality I'll probably get whatever Android tri-band comes out first on Sprint - hopefully there will be several announced at once.

Hope you are right.  X phone may be my next if it comes to Sprint with Tri-band.  But in reality I'll probably get whatever Android tri-band comes out first on Sprint - hopefully there will be several announced at once.

I'm not really worried if the price is as low as expected. I'll just buy off contract and upgrade to a triband phone later. I'm not impressed by what we've seen of the LG G2, although the Note 3 could be good. I don't expect any surprises from Samsung though. Reviews of the Galaxy Tab 3 have been bad.