Ericsson wants to stop Samsung from selling network equipment in the US

Original story: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8B20XC20121203?irpc=932

My opinion: Samsung is bidding lower than Ericsson on some projects and winning those bids...and deploying faster than Ericsson in some cases (e.g. NV). So Ericsson wants to stop looking slow and expensive...by slowing Samsung down and making them more expensive.

I really hope that they can come to a reasonable resolution on this issue, since otherwise both Ericsson and Samsung NV builds could be slowed. And Ericsson in particular shouldn't get any slower than it already is.

• Like 5

Looks like Ericsson is pulling an apple type move. If you can't beat them sue them. Traditionally what I've seen as far as network build outs seems like Ericsson and Alcatel lucent had a duopoly type situation going on which those companies getting the majority of the work. Seems like Samsung has to beat them with price and faster rates of completion.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

This is a somewhat related but somewhat unrelated question as well: does anyone know exactly how the bidding process happened, that is to say, how the country ended up split between the three OEMs? Did they bid by region, or is there a maximum size each one could handle, or how did it come to be that they decided to split it up? Was maybe Sprint trying to see if, in the end, one provider was better than the other, kind of like testing each one, or...? I find it very interesting they way they did it.

Tommy

This is a somewhat related but somewhat unrelated question as well: does anyone know exactly how the bidding process happened, that is to say, how the country ended up split between the three OEMs? Did they bid by region, or is there a maximum size each one could handle, or how did it come to be that they decided to split it up? Was maybe Sprint trying to see if, in the end, one provider was better than the other, kind of like testing each one, or...? I find it very interesting they way they did it.

Tommy

Probably like any other situation where a company wants something done. Sprint probably contacted several companies, told them what they want done, gave them a approx. time period, and how much they're willing to spend and then the companies responded with bids. Basically, the one that goes the lowest out of the numerous contacted companies get the contract.

Probably like any other situation where a company wants something done. Sprint probably contacted several companies, told them what they want done, gave them a approx. time period, and how much they're willing to spend and then the companies responded with bids. Basically, the one that goes the lowest out of the numerous contacted companies get the contract.

I think they were asking more how it got split up geographically like it did. One would assume if it was as simple as each market getting an individual bid, the region split wouldn't be as even and in the chunks it is. Something along the lines of, whether Sprint split the country up into areas and then ask for bids on each area?

• 3 weeks later...

This just came out today:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2023400/samsung-seeks-a-ban-on-sales-of-ericsson-products-in-the-us.html

I was wondering if the Samsung and Ericsson patent issues may be effecting Ericsson's LTE deployment in the markets they are on slate to work on?

Of course Ericsson is supposed to be handling my market (Kentucky).

• 2 weeks later...
Ah I see... hopefully there won't be any interruptions in samsungs NV build from this

Trust me when I tell you the Samsung builds are anything but interrupted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Trust me when I tell you the Samsung builds are anything but interrupted.

I never understood that saying. It's like a double negative. Does that mean you think they are interrupted?

Sent from phone

I never understood that saying. It's like a double negative. Does that mean you think they are interrupted?

Sent from phone

On the contrary, I happen to know they are very much in progress.

• Like 2