eHRPD Sightings

Been checking my phone lately and i found that it was connecting to CDMA eHRPD. For all of you that are new to this, eHRPD is used generally on CDMA carriers to allow a smooth transition from EVDO to LTE technologies. Im starting this topic to see how many of you guys out there have access to eHRPD. Also, when using eHRPD, instead of the data at the tower going through the CDMA switchboard, it goes through the LTE core instead. Maybe not much of a noticable speed increase, but eHRPD may be faster when the CDMA switchboard is reaching full capacity. Anyways, if anyone ever has any questions related to this, comment on this post or send me a message. I have an acceptable level of knowledge with networking and infastructures. Everyone else, post here if you do have access to an eHRPD enabled cell site. This can be checked by going to settings, about phone, then look for the network status option where from there, it will tell you the signal strength in dBm, the ASU, and the network type.

So you are saying that eHRPD sightings are a good indication of upcoming 4g LTE? I've seen it for a good month or so here in the College Station, TX area and I know there is a tower about 25 miles away in Navasota, TX that has gone live in the past few weeks. I've already gone and mapped it using the sensorly app

Robert,

I know you've said in the past that it would be by market. However, the other day while driving home I had EVDO-RevA on my GS3 at a stoplight in Raleigh. Then driving north about 12 miles later (while I was at another stoplight of course :) ) I checked and was on eHRPD.

So, unless it flipped in the 10-15 minutes while I was driving which is entirely possible, could it be that parts of a market are on eHRPD and others not? I haven't looked, but I'm wondering if those locations (not sure of the exact towers, just approximate areas) are going to different MSC's today.

I wouldn't get to hung up on ehrpd. It really means nothing as typically the speed issue is with the tower backhaul.

I have seen zero differences since ehrpd became active here.

Sent from the EVO 4G sometimes-LTE

Robert,

I know you've said in the past that it would be by market. However, the other day while driving home I had EVDO-RevA on my GS3 at a stoplight in Raleigh. Then driving north about 12 miles later (while I was at another stoplight of course :) ) I checked and was on eHRPD.

So, unless it flipped in the 10-15 minutes while I was driving which is entirely possible, could it be that parts of a market are on eHRPD and others not? I haven't looked, but I'm wondering if those locations (not sure of the exact towers, just approximate areas) are going to different MSC's today.

I believe I usually say that eHRPD is typically deployed in clusters or by whole market, but rarely on a site by site basis.

Robert

Sometimes the phone will just fail to find ehrpd. You can do the toggle dance and get ehrpd from the same exact site you were on before you toggled.

I had this issue a lot with the Photon. I thought eHRPD was down, but then would go look at my other LTE devices and they were still connected to eHRPD. Cycle through airplane mode and, voila! eHRPD is back.

Robert

Ok but ehrpd in Toledo, Ohio ? I thought I would bet that 2 towers would be done by 10-6-13. I can't find anything else in Toledo

mobile with Evo Lte

If you think about it, all non active Network Vision markets need eHRPD deployed too. Since Ft. Wayne/South Bend are actively being deployed and East Michigan should start any day, Toledo eHRPD needs to be active for when the sites near the border are converted so data sessions can hand off to the Toledo market sites.

eHRPD will likely be live in all markets soon. Nothing to think of it, really.

Robert

• Like 3

If you think about it, all non active Network Vision markets need eHRPD deployed too. Since Ft. Wayne/South Bend are actively being deployed and East Michigan should start any day, Toledo eHRPD needs to be active for when the sites near the border are converted so data sessions can hand off to the Toledo market sites.

eHRPD will likely be live in all markets soon. Nothing to think of it, really.

Robert

Look at Beaumont TX. ehrpd months ago and the LTE time line is far away.

Well I sit here in the land of nothing ,the important battleground of the election but are contained.

mobile with Evo Lte

I find it weird that I've been getting 1.5-2 Mb down at my house and the rest of Toledo is slow as heck except those random speed test that you and Jason have had..I mean it could be those network upgrades but mine hasn't gone down at all even around lunch and dinner times.. guess we can still hope that the rumor that all 2013 markets will start next year or sooner .. atleast get Ann arbor or Detroit going

My thought on this is that almsot everywhere where eHRPD is being activated, LTE will be coming. As robert said, doesnt mean a real ETA time for LTE arrival, but it does mean that LTE will be there eventually. Enjoy guys!! :D

• Like 1

As sprint stated during the beginning stages of their LTE deployment, : Our 4G network is expected to cover the majority of our nationwide 3G footprint". Id say depending on your area, most of us WILL get 4G coverage. It just depends on how quickly network venders can install LTE equipment. Well, according to sprints latest excuse, there appears to be quote "Endangered birds" living in their towers. That was the first time ive heard of that happening before lmao

Also, the benifit of eHRPD for now is that towers that have this technology acive, data traffic can be better managed. The only downfall to this is you have to have an LTE capable device to access eHRPD. Just to make myself clear, eHRPD is NOT another network, only a sub-division to the EVDO network.

As sprint stated during the beginning stages of their LTE deployment' date=' : Our 4G network is expected to cover the majority of our nationwide 3G footprint". Id say depending on your area, most of us WILL get 4G coverage. It just depends on how quickly network venders can install LTE equipment. Well, according to sprints latest excuse, there appears to be quote "Endangered birds" living in their towers. That was the first time ive heard of that happening before lmao[/quote']

The bird issue involved nest of protected species, like the Osprey. Nesting season ended October 1st and that is no longer a factor in NV deployment. That issue was most related to Florida, Louisiana and Texas.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Also, the benifit of eHRPD for now is that towers that have this technology acive, data traffic can be better managed. The only downfall to this is you have to have an LTE capable device to access eHRPD. Just to make myself clear, eHRPD is NOT another network, only a sub-division to the EVDO network.

Better managed? How is 17 kilobits down better managed?

Better managed? How is 17 kilobits down better managed?

Obviously he is talking about post Network Vision site traffic management.

Exactly. Once network vision is complete, and data speeds become faster, the network will be accessed by more users. Then that's when eHRPD will come into play. If LTE gets installed first, then the traffic will be divided by the CDMA network and the LTE network. Then eHRPD will just allow the transition between CDMA and LTE to be seamless

Obviously he is talking about post Network Vision site traffic management.

His post wasn't clear as he stated towers that have it now benefit from traffic management. Not to drain anyone's gas before the race...but it's funny when I see people get all excited about eHRPD. I know I did when I saw it, but 15 minutes later you figure out that it really means absolutely zero.