•  

Photo

Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

• Please log in to reply
917 replies to this topic

#261 xian

xian

Member Level: Smoke Signals

• S4GRU Member
  • 8 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iphone 5
  • LocationLaie

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

I just have some questions and am a little confused, so maybe someone can help and clear it up. Why on sprints website does it say that in the last 6 months there have been dozens of data speed improvements on their towers in Honolulu, yet people are saying only one permit has been issued. How could they have been doing these upgrades if only the first permit was issued last week?  

Also in a sprint Community forum:

Thanks for your reply. Judging by what I see we will have LTE coverage on most of the islands by spring of 2014 (this is an estimate), we are already running beta testing LTE towers around the airport and Pearl Harbor. We understand the churn risk while completing the project, but we have to do it and we are not going to sacrifice quality for speed. Our prices beat the competition hands down and we will have broadband speed and crystal clear voice quality once we complete. Please hang in there for us, we will have this finished soon.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

So basically what Im asking is how has only been one permit been issued, when supposedly there are already some live towers with LTE? (has anyone ever picked these up signals? I never have and I've never seen them mapped) As well as all the other supposed upgrades according to the sprint map? If anyone could explain this that would be very appreciated. 

#262 richy

richy

Member Level: 3G EVDO

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Phones/Devices:tmo note 3
  • LocationHawai'i

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

I'm could be wrong but the lte sites active are on federal land and didn't need permits from the state. Also the are continuing to upgrade the '3g' network (more t1s etc) which is why you see their site mentioning upgrades that don't mean network vision / lte.

I'm sure others will be along soon to give a more accurate / complete answer :)

Edit: I suppose, technically they could be upgrades to fractional t3 I can't see multiple or even a single full to being needed but there will bea point where a ft3 is cheaper than multiple t1's.

#263 jtsujimura

jtsujimura

• S4GRU Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sprint store reps are telling customers that LTE will be running in December. So sad to hear it won't be until March 2014.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

#264 xian

xian

• S4GRU Member
  • 8 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iphone 5
  • LocationLaie

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

I guess what Im asking is doesn't sprint need to get permits to upgrade the towers, regardless of whether it is LTE or 3G? If they have had all these upgrades over the past 6 months, and have had access to the towers, why couldn't they have been installing LTE equipment? Or is my thinking just completely off? 

#265 ryry4ya

ryry4ya

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
  • Phones/Devices:EVO LTE/ One
  • LocationSylvania/Toledo ohio

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

I guess what Im asking is doesn't sprint need to get permits to upgrade the towers, regardless of whether it is LTE or 3G? If they have had all these upgrades over the past 6 months, and have had access to the towers, why couldn't they have been installing LTE equipment? Or is my thinking just completely off?

99 percent of the time, they need permits issued

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

#266 richy

richy

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Phones/Devices:tmo note 3
  • LocationHawai'i

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

If it is something very minor like an additional t1 which doesn't require electrical or structural changes (beyond perhaps adding a line card) or an increase in commit on a fractional t3 then no permit is needed because nothing really changes in a manner that the county is worried about (visually, electrically, flooding,  sewage, noise etc).  It's like the difference between the Hawaiian tel turning on your phone when you move in vs having dish come and physically install a huge dish. One is a 'soft' change,  the other is a physical change. 

#267 sumoroach

sumoroach

Member Level: Morse Code

• S4GRU Member
  • 18 posts
  • Phones/Devices:galaxy s4
  • LocationHaleiwa

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

Which will arrive first the Galaxy S5 or Sprint LTE in Hawaii?

#268 Nacron

Nacron

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy SIII
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:01 PM

S5

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#269 tontda

tontda

• S4GRU Member
  • 3 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

First permit issued in Honolulu last week. Have a little water to flush out some of that salt. ;)

How can we search for these types of permits in Honolulu, HI to see where Sprint is at with permits being issued for us here in Hawaii?

#270 TechSmurf

TechSmurf

Permit Stalker

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Galaxy S4
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

How can we search for these types of permits in Honolulu, HI to see where Sprint is at with permits being issued for us here in Hawaii?

The sponsor map thread linked in my sig has the info you seek.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

#271 bbspot

bbspot

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Phones/Devices:LG G2
  • Locationsf

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

I see LTE in Oahu in the sponsors map.  Someone want to map it in Sensorly?

#272 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,709 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, OnePlus 2, Kyocera Brigadier
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

I see LTE in Oahu in the sponsors map. Someone want to map it in Sensorly?

They can't. It's inside a Sprint Data Center. And the building is behind a locked gate and security fence.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

#273 MacinJosh

MacinJosh

S4GRU Moderator & Contributing Author

• S4GRU Staff
  • 11,562 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold, White/Silver iPad mini 2 64GB
  • LocationPahrump, NV

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

They can't. It's inside a Sprint Data Center. And the building is behind a locked gate and security fence.

Someone who works for Sprint is such a tease to map that on Sensorly. :P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Current Devices:
iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Gold & White/Silver iPad mini 2 64GB
Mid 2014 15" MacBook Pro Retina Intel Core i7 @ 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM & 512GB PCIe SSD

Late 2005 Power Mac G5 2.5 GHz Quad Core (project in the works)

#274 Nacron

Nacron

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:26 AM

How is there an LTE speed test in Waipahu?

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1389464722215.jpg

#275 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,709 posts
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

How is there an LTE speed test in Waipahu?

Posted Image

It has to be coming from a site. It is not coming from the TOY CELL accepted complete inside the 4G core in Pearl City. Hopefully that is a good sign of a Hawaii LTE site acceptance soon.

#276 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,709 posts
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

Just so everyone is aware, a TOY cell is a macro site set up inside a Sprint MSC or DDC that is used to test, evaluate and train. It is not intended to be usable even outside the building. Sometimes they can be usable a few feet outside the building, but I've never heard of an instance of someone using a TOY more than a block away.

Often TOYs are locked down and the public cannot authenticate with the network on them. We mark TOY cells on our maps so people realize it is not a public macro site. We allow them on our maps more as informational to see where Sprint's DDC and MSC's are located. Not so much for locating signals.

#277 Nacron

Nacron

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Just so everyone is aware, a TOY cell is a macro site set up inside a Sprint MSC or DDC that is used to test, evaluate and train. It is not intended to be usable even outside the building. Sometimes they can be usable a few feet outside the building, but I've never heard of an instance of someone using a TOY more than a block away.Often TOYs are locked down and the public cannot authenticate with the network on them. We mark TOY cells on our maps so people realize it is not a public macro site. We allow them on our maps more as informational to see where Sprint's DDC and MSC's are located. Not so much for locating signals.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

So there's a training center in Waipahu?

#278 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,709 posts
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

So there's a training center in Waipahu?

No. It is a Data Center. They have a TOY unit there. I explained what a TOY is used for.

#279 Nacron

Nacron

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:08 AM

No. It is a Data Center. They have a TOY unit there. I explained what a TOY is used for.

Street view of the "data center" on kahuhale st Posted Image

#280 S4GRU

S4GRU

S4GRU Administrator

• Administrator
  • 28,709 posts
  • LocationAnywhere USA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

Street view of the "data center" on kahuhale st Posted Image

I'm not in the mood to be mocked. I think you have completely misunderstood my posts. I am discussing how the one accepted LTE site on our maps is not actually a site and is not broadcasting to the public. You are discussing a Sensorly report. I am trying to explain to you that the signal from Sensorly IS NOT COMING FROM THE DATA CENTER.

If any other phantom signals appear, they also will not be coming from the data center. The Hawaii market is receiving NV deployments. The signal could very well be coming from a site in progress. I try to run around and provide helpful information to 98 markets. I don't appreciate being "mocked" by you for giving you good information about yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users