Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

The AT&T and Verizon LTE tower upgrades have been done for awhile. The company installing the upgrades confirmed it was for Sprint LTE.

Thanks. I wonder how they managed to get around not having a permit! Good news that works being done :)

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register. Interesting to hear of activity on Maui. I just called in to our local store a few days ago to see if they were receiving multiple complaints around Wailuku since my phone as well as my Wife's hasn't been getting any 3g data in Waikapu this entire week. The manager said that they are upgrading the towers above the poni apartments (by Tokyo tei) to 4g. I questioned her about it but she said that they are indeed updating it but of course "can't release an eta". I know better than to believe everything from store reps, but am thinking more optimistically about it after reading the recent posts about the west side. What do you all think of this? Thanks in advance

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register. Interesting to hear of activity on Maui. I just called in to our local store a few days ago to see if they were receiving multiple complaints around Wailuku since my phone as well as my Wife's hasn't been getting any 3g data in Waikapu this entire week. The manager said that they are upgrading the towers above the poni apartments (by Tokyo tei) to 4g. I questioned her about it but she said that they are indeed updating it but of course "can't release an eta". I know better than to believe everything from store reps, but am thinking more optimistically about it after reading the recent posts about the west side. What do you all think of this? Thanks in advance

Drive up to the tower and see if there is any activity. If you see any workers, ask them.

Become a sponsor, and post your findings.

Got some info from an "insider" most of Honolulu should be complete by ending of June. Some towers in hnl showed est. Completion as soon as April.

This insider a retail sprint employee?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Not retail , but he's one of the tech supervisors.he sent me a shot of the nv tower status form. I'll up post it up when I get home from work. Edited by kamaboko

Got some info from an "insider" most of Honolulu should be complete by ending of June. Some towers in hnl showed est. Completion as soon as April.

lol That actually made me laugh. Another one bites the dust. Keyboard # 26. lol

Not retail , but he's one of the tech supervisors.he sent me a shot of the nv tower status form. I'll up post it up when I get home from work.

May the sources words reach Pele ears and make it so.

TS

Not retail , but he's one of the tech supervisors.he sent me a shot of the nv tower status form. I'll up post it up when I get home from work.

I would like to see this "shot".  is there a way to know if they are working on a tower once the permit has been issued, without driving out there?

I would like to see this "shot".  is there a way to know if they are working on a tower once the permit has been issued, without driving out there?

Persons with access to Glance and other Sprint tools can probably get this information (an actively in-progress tower gets ticketed, afaik), however us mere mortals are stuck with visual observations.

Little something I posted in the sponsor permit thread a while back, I think needs to get posted here too:

Rumors in sprint stores aren't terribly reliable... I don't know how many times that's been pointed out and proven on these boards.

1) Sprint (vendors,contractors,etc) can't do upgrades without permits.

2) Sprint doesn't have permits.

3) Sprint doesn't know when they'll get permits, as this is up to the government and not them.

1+2) Sprint can't do upgrades.

1+3) Sprint doesn't know when they'll be able to do upgrades.

You can start dancing when the permits start rolling. Until the permits start rolling, unless you have reliable information from the government, speculation is not advisable.

• Like 2

1392926887787_zps8b317690.jpg

I also spoke with an Alcatel Lucent employee at the park yesterday. He said they have been working some of the towers installing gear the last few weeks. I don't expect anyone to believe this, please do take it with a grain of salt. I just thought I'd share this info presented to me with this wonderful community. :)

• Like 1

There's certainly stuff AlcaLu can be doing. There are a few sites with non-Honolulu permit authority that I can't track and may be easier to get permits/permission for (state/federal land, etc), and there are actually a couple permits for Honolulu that have been issued (a couple. two. since this all started last march.)

The tower in question, however... having a permit issued in the time they're hoping for is practically laughable. If they throw the gear on the tower illegally I believe it'll get done on their supposed timetable.

That poor pic deserves a redo, btw..

I checked into all of these. 4 of them are nowhere near having permits, ain't gonna happen. 1 is on federal land which only leaves it as a giant question mark. (So far, federal land sites have been on both sides of the spectrum in my observations. Some get done very quickly, like the iDEN conversion on Pearl... others seem to be getting left for last)

If anyone wants anything more specific than that, please feel free to bring this up in a sponsor thread :)

ynbTF.jpg

• Like 2

On a less somber-reality-check note: That's a freaking neat tool! If it were telling the truth I'd think everyone should be able to look that up on their sprint.com account. Even without the accurate upgrade forecast I'd love to know what percentage of time I spend connected to my 5 most frequently used towers.

Along the lines of what Nacron is saying, the gross ineptitude of government in Hawaii is so vast that I would not be surprised if the permit info online is not being kept up to date.

Another thought that comes to mind is if the permit problem is so bad and no end in sight, they may choose to do all their sites as GMO's temporarily. In most jurisdictions, a GMO conversion does not require permits. They could fire up B25 now on a GMO site. Then later when the site can be completed as a full build, they can add B26 and possibly B41.

I don't believe they'll do GMO's as a temporary stop gap. But they could.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Isn't band 25 non existent on the note 3?

The Note 3 can only do B25. It cannot do B26 nor B41.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro