Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

14 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Just ordered it. Unfortunately I wont have it for my Chicago trip. Thanks for the help.

How do you find Calling Plus to be in NYC? With my essential phone I drop to 3G quite often. 

Also as a side note: The GS9 also supports handing off from Wifi to LTE and vise versa during calls which comes in handy when keeping calling plus enabled.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone personally spotted 4x4 MIMO or 256QAM in NYC yet? This is one area where Sprint is falling behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8t8r B41 sites can do both 4x4 MIMO and 256QAM via software update?

Sprint has been talking about massive MIMO but have yet to even go from 2x2 to 4x4 which would double the speed of B41

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Has anyone personally spotted 4x4 MIMO or 256QAM in NYC yet? This is one area where Sprint is falling behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but the 8t8r B41 sites can do both 4x4 MIMO and 256QAM via software update?

Sprint has been talking about massive MIMO but have yet to even go from 2x2 to 4x4 which would double the speed of B41

256QAM has already been spotted, but hard to confirm since it requires a super clean SNR plus an app that can confirm it, and yes, 8t8r can do 4x4MIMO with software update. It seems Nokia integrating ALU equipment has been a huge headache. I personally think it's more an issue where they have only deployed 2xCA, like any place north of 167st in Manhattan or the Bronx, they could definitely use 4x4MIMO. Most places that have 3xCA live already perform on par to the best the other carriers are offering.

6 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

256QAM has already been spotted, but hard to confirm since it requires a super clean SNR plus an app that can confirm it, and yes, 8t8r can do 4x4MIMO with software update. It seems Nokia integrating ALU equipment has been a huge headache. I personally think it's more an issue where they have only deployed 2xCA, like any place north of 167st in Manhattan or the Bronx, they could definitely use 4x4MIMO. Most places that have 3xCA live already perform on par to the best the other carriers are offering.

I have a few sites that I can get close so SNR should be good. But from my understanding it SNR can be degraded due to congestion. I'll have to check for 256QAM. The engineering screen on the GS9 displays QAM numbers at the bottom i was assuming those were accurate. But it doesn't seem to show MIMO. I would root my GS9 and do network Guru but I can't seem to find directions to root the US version of the GS9

3 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/sprint-announces-new-york-city-phoenix-and-kansas-city-among-first-to-experience-sprint-5g.htm

4x4 mimo enabled on all Sprint B41 8t8r site plus Massive MIMO replacing all Clear B41 site would put Sprint a head of the competition in NYC 

Awesome!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

According to that they have already started deploying Massive MIMO antennas in NYC since April. Why haven't we spotted any yet?

Has Nokia's equipment passed FCC? 

Not sure if anyone saw this yet. While Sprint didn't really move a head of the competition they did improve in all the categories besides overall performance. Not sure how that works since Overall should be based on the other 5 categories. 

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2018/1H

52 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Not sure if anyone saw this yet. While Sprint didn't really move a head of the competition they did improve in all the categories besides overall performance. Not sure how that works since Overall should be based on the other 5 categories. 

https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2018/1H

The NYC tests also include at least half of New Jersey and the suburbs. Those areas still need a lot of work, plus you add the Altice small cells stuff  I think better results down the road, but with this merger thing going we will never know how great the network will get if this transaction close by the first half of 2019.

8 minutes ago, SprintNYC said:

The NYC tests also include at least half of New Jersey and the suburbs. Those areas still need a lot of work, plus you add the Altice small cells stuff  I think better results down the road, but with this merger thing going we will never know how great the network will get if this transaction close by the first half of 2019.

I've seen a lot of work done in Nassau county and it seems like a lot of work has been done in jersey with GMOs and adding B41 either full builds or MM. 

I was expecting improvement on the results but knew they weren't going to be taking first place. Hopefully 2nd half 2018 is a lot better with more B41 being deployed and the 2nd carrier of B25 being 10x10 on every site. Once that done they can do CA on B25 again.

It annoying how they can do CA on 2 5x5 B25 Carriers but can't do 10x10 + 5x5 CA

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

I've seen a lot of work done in Nassau county and it seems like a lot of work has been done in jersey with GMOs and adding B41 either full builds or MM. 

I was expecting improvement on the results but knew they weren't going to be taking first place. Hopefully 2nd half 2018 is a lot better with more B41 being deployed and the 2nd carrier of B25 being 10x10 on every site. Once that done they can do CA on B25 again.

It annoying how they can do CA on 2 5x5 B25 Carriers but can't do 10x10 + 5x5 CA

Two things, I hope they are using an updated GS8 for testing, latest versions radio performance is considerbly better. Also, I hate that they include NJ. It's gotten a lot better the last few months or so but still nowhere near as great as NYC..

46 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

Two things, I hope they are using an updated GS8 for testing, latest versions radio performance is considerbly better. Also, I hate that they include NJ. It's gotten a lot better the last few months or so but still nowhere near as great as NYC..

You can see just how bad the rest of the metro area is dragging down the NYC by the median speed of the last testing period being 5.8Mbps. I'm pretty sure that almost no one in this sub is seeing median or average speeds anywhere as low as 5.8Mbps. The fact that there was a 137.93% increase to 13.8Mbps in one testing period is noteworthy though. It might be due to Altice's strand mounts going up in places that have historically struggled with poor site density like Suffolk County, Long Island.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

You can see just how bad the rest of the metro area is dragging down the NYC by the median speed of the last testing period being 5.8Mbps. I'm pretty sure that almost no one in this sub is seeing median or average speeds anywhere as low as 5.8Mbps. The fact that there was a 137.93% increase to 13.8Mbps in one testing period is noteworthy though. It might be due to Altice's strand mounts going up in places that have historically struggled with poor site density like Suffolk County, Long Island.

I've only spotted one strand mount cell. It has LTE UE relay for backhaul. Was hoping they were going to utilize Altice for backhaul but this is a good start. I hope to find more of these soon. Wish I had a source for locations. I would love to map these. 

Apparently there are Massive MIMO sites in NYC. Does anyone know if there is a way to look up NYC permits to possible track down where this site might be?

15 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Apparently there are Massive MIMO sites in NYC. Does anyone know if there is a way to look up NYC permits to possible track down where this site might be?

They have yet to pass FCC, so cannot be live for public consumption.

Noticed recently that the MM on a light post near me doesn't display as B41 MM anymore on SCP. According to the debug menu on my phone it isn't allowing CA or might only have 1 carrier now. This site used to have 2 carriers and they would do CA.

Were GCIs changed that is effecting SCP?

P77X18c.jpg?1QMTFeeF.jpg?1

8 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

Noticed recently that the MM on a light post near me doesn't display as B41 MM anymore on SCP. According to the debug menu on my phone it isn't allowing CA or might only have 1 carrier now. This site used to have 2 carriers and they would do CA.

Were GCIs changed that is effecting SCP?

P77X18c.jpg?1QMTFeeF.jpg?1

As far I know, there are no MM sites broadcasting 39965(also no CA with 39965 since they have designated these for SC/MB). This is most likely either a frequency change or a new site. 

16 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

As far I know, there are no MM sites broadcasting 39965(also no CA with 39965 since they have designated these for SC/MB). This is most likely either a frequency change or a new site. 

Interesting this site has been here since summer of 2016 when they first started to bring the old clear small cells online. Noticed this change maybe 1 to 2 months ago. 

4 hours ago, nexgencpu said:

They changed the GCI for lampposts MM 3 months ago, on my previous post, for Manhattan from 0120 to 0130 prefixes. Probably they ran out of GCI from expanding MM lamppost, pole around 5 boroughs. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RaigekiNYC said:

They changed the GCI for lampposts MM 3 months ago, on my previous post, for Manhattan from 0120 to 0130 prefixes. Probably they ran out of GCI from expanding MM lamppost, pole around 5 boroughs. 

The Issue is, I have yet to see a mini macro site broadcasting 39965 in NYC proper, this sounds more like a SC running single carrier.

9 minutes ago, nexgencpu said:

The Issue is, I have yet to see a mini macro site broadcasting 39965 in NYC proper, this sounds more like a SC running single carrier.

It actually band 41 pico cell in the box of lamppost.