Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I just took another look at the NV Maps, and no there is no site inside the campus. Fordham U relies on local surrounding Macro sites. 

I am near the grand concourse and 177 street. But I travel between Bedford park and 133st on a regular basis and have no issues.

That's great. I do not have issues either normally. Where I live it is perfect. But there are macro sites just off the campus. If I had to pinpoint which site it is, it would be the one on 191st. And come to think of it, they are rebuilding the chillers on the roof so they probably had to disable that site temporarily. That makes the most sense. I should have looked at the maps first to see if I could figure it out. That means I'm most likely getting service from 187st or off Webster Ave. This makes sense as if you walk towards the zoo side of campus the speeds become insanely great, most likely from the Crotona Ave site. 

Just experienced my first small cell in battery park.

Hit 50mb down 15mb up GCI is similar to B25 starting with 129.

Also did speed test at observatory deck of the world trade hit 110mb down.

Next time you see one can you post screenshots of SCP and/or engineering?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Awesome! I might head over there today and check it out myself!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I would like to see photos of the small cell and RSRP taken right next to it. Thanks!!

• Like 1

This is the only small cell I can find here. My signal isn't particularly strong next to it but my speeds are 56-60Mbps down on my single carrier device.ea73c2a0f138bff1d829fc380d7fb6fc.jpg

try walking (east) around till your signal gets stronger and stronger so you can track it down.
  • Like 2

This is the only small cell I can find here. My signal isn't particularly strong next to it but my speeds are 56-60Mbps down on my single carrier device.

ea73c2a0f138bff1d829fc380d7fb6fc.jpg

What's the approximate address or GPS coordinates for that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

I upgraded to the 6S from my 6 couple days ago, It says unknown sometimes when I do a speed test instead of 20mhz or 5mhz. Is that CA 41?

EDIT: Not speed test I meant the info in the network diagnostics. 

Edited by Palan

I upgraded to the 6S from my 6 couple days ago, It says unknown sometimes when I do a speed test instead of 20mhz or 5mhz. Is that CA 41?

Sometimes that field isn't populated and you need to close it down and open the app back up.

No. I have had a 6S since they first came out and I have never been able to make that field populate. The field test on the iPhone 6S just doesn't work reliably.

The area I highlighted in black is the small cell coverage I was able to find.
http://imgur.com/a/T9ZHC

Quite impressive, I narrowed their locations, but they are well hidden. I got signal as high as -60dBm in about three different spots around the highlighted perimeter. 

Speeds were good (30-70mbs) even when signal was not very strong -110dBm still hitting 20mbs. 

One thing I found interesting (that will make tracking these damn things a lot more difficult) no matter where the signal came from the GCI never changed. 

So I'm assuming they all shared one host connection.

Once Sprint deploy's these bad boys everywhere its gonna be a doozy.

• Like 4

I noticed that too! While walking around the only thing that kept changing was the signal strength. All other values remained the same. Also, they're hidden so well even after walking around for a while and getting my signal pretty strong, I still couldn't point out exactly where it came from.

I feel like a lot more has been done than we could imagine.

• Like 1

I went to Hurricane Harbor today and had LTE during my entire trip with the exception of just outside of Jackson, NJ. The park itself has a site that serves it and does so really well. I was pulling speeds around 15 Mbps the whole time.

Despite it being in a pretty remote area of NJ, the presence of Six Flags made it so that site has Band 25, Band 26, and 2 Band 41 carriers to take on the heavy network load and it appears to be doing its job pretty well.

• Like 1

Update: This is the strongest I could get the signal and these are the speeds I got. Wherever that small cell is, I must've been right next to it but pretty much unable to find it.

There are a ton of what look like the Crown Castle DAS's down here on pretty much every third light pole but I still can't figure out where exactly Sprint's is. This is a mystery.

7c5016782d005f7cbfb562cb7c8dbc49.jpg

10fc81e12ae94cc09b49d768e484e71f.jpgf9d73f311906557faf7104ee0a2b3d93.jpg

• Like 1

Update: This is the strongest best I could et the signal and these are the speeds I got, wherever that small cell is, I must've been right next to it but pretty much unable to find it.

There are a ton of what look like the Crown Castle DAS's down here on pretty much every third light pole but I still can't figure out where exactly Sprint's is. This is a mystery.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7031645,-74.0144406,3a,75y,250.04h,83.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_c3g8GmfsAo11xCWrBbSPQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7031604,-74.0143913,3a,75y,339.97h,92.42t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgjlW_9-070kyGMbYCdHzyQ!2e0!5s20141001T000000!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

It's the one from earlier. Looks like it's one of those former clearwire Wimax small cells / odas converted to B41 LTE.