Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I just want to make sure I'm getting this correctly. So the tower will balance everyone on 2 B25 carriers and 1 B26 carrier if it has it. So the top speeds will still be the same but each carrier will have less congestion? Does sprint plan on doing any B25-B25 carrier aggression and are there any phone compatible of doing that?

Yes to the first part, but you didn't include B41. B41 will be taking most of the traffic.

There are no plans at all for intraband CA on B25. No devices support it, it will not be happening. A widening of a LTE carrier to 10x10 is certainly possible down the line.

Sent from my LG G4

• Like 1

Yes to the first part, but you didn't include B41. B41 will be taking most of the traffic.

There are no plans at all for intraband CA on B25. No devices support it, it will not be happening. A widening of a LTE carrier to 10x10 is certainly possible down the line.

Sent from my LG G4

forgot this was the NYC thread not the Long Island one. Not too many Spark towers on LI yet. I only know of 5-10 in Nassau County. Was hoping a second B25 carrier would come or 10x10

forgot this was the NYC thread not the Long Island one. Not too many Spark towers on LI yet. I only know of 5-10 in Nassau County. Was hoping a second B25 carrier would come or 10x10

I heard that there is quite a bit of Band 41 on Long Island but it is more common in the larger towns like Hempstead, Islip, etc.

• Like 2

Thanks for the update!! My reception at home improved significantly since I upgraded to a tri-band phone. I get decent B41 signal and never drop a call. Forest Hills and Rego Park area has improved significantly in the past year or so. At work I connect to B26 inside my office and get usable 1-3mbps. Most of my problems are with overburdened B41 in midtown Manhattan where speeds fall below 1x level. And lack of any LTE on parts of LI, NJ and PA where I frequently visit my family and friends. Hoping that decommissioning of WiMax and NGN project will improve service throughout the tri-state area. Whenever I run speed tests on my brother's TMO, he almost always put Sprint to shame.

Eh, speeds shouldn't be used to shame, rather, does the phone work or not, should be the benchmark.

I was in Jamaica yesterday at Hillside Honda and it was great to see B41 there. Was able to check carfax, truecar, etc. without any hiccups. That to me is what a benchmark of a usable network should be.

• Like 1

I heard that there is quite a bit of Band 41 on Long Island but it is more common in the larger towns like Hempstead, Islip, etc.

It picked up for a bit but has slowed to a stop as far as I can tell. The tower by my house (B25/B26) was covering sections of 3 other towers that only had 3G. 2 of them finally got 4G so its less congested but the 3rd one is still 3G only and alot of people sit on B26 in that area. 

I hope B41 build out on LI isn't representative of whats to come in NYC. Most Clear B41 sites I connect to in NYC  market ( Queens and Manhattan) are very congested. (When ever I'm in Brooklyn everything is great)

Is the plan to convert Clear B41 sites to Sprint B41 with CA then add more sites or will they just add Sprint B41 to more sites then convert existing Clear B41 to Sprint B41.

It picked up for a bit but has slowed to a stop as far as I can tell. The tower by my house (B25/B26) was covering sections of 3 other towers that only had 3G. 2 of them finally got 4G so its less congested but the 3rd one is still 3G only and alot of people sit on B26 in that area. 

I hope B41 build out on LI isn't representative of whats to come in NYC. Most Clear B41 sites I connect to in NYC  market ( Queens and Manhattan) are very congested. (When ever I'm in Brooklyn everything is great)

Is the plan to convert Clear B41 sites to Sprint B41 with CA then add more sites or will they just add Sprint B41 to more sites then convert existing Clear B41 to Sprint B41.

Samsung Clear equipment is very powerful and capable of broadcasting 4 LTE carriers (not in CA mode) but currently are limited to 1 LTE+1 Wimax carrier in this dual mode.

Once they are able to turn off Wimax (hopefully next week) we should see the Clear equipmemt perform a heck of alot better.

• Like 1

Samsung Clear equipment is very powerful and capable of broadcasting 4 LTE carriers (not in CA mode) but currently are limited to 1 LTE+1 Wimax carrier in this dual mode.

Once they are able to turn off Wimax (hopefully next week) we should see the Clear equipmemt perform a heck of alot better.

I didn't realize Clear B41 was broadcasted from WiMax equipment. Did they just have to change a few setting on those towers when they rolled out Spark? Was NYCs original Spark foot print really the same as the Wimax footprint. Then they added additional Clear Sites and then Sprint Sites. Did those additional Clear sites have Wimaxx on them?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm bored at work and haven't kept up on everything for the past 6-12 month. 

I didn't realize Clear B41 was broadcasted from WiMax equipment. Did they just have to change a few setting on those towers when they rolled out Spark? Was NYCs original Spark foot print really the same as the Wimax footprint. Then they added additional Clear Sites and then Sprint Sites. Did those additional Clear sites have Wimaxx on them?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm bored at work and haven't kept up on everything for the past 6-12 month. 

The original intent was always to have dual mode initially on so they could expand Band 41 and at the same time keep the current Wimax footprint and eventually kill off Wimax and continue to expand to more LTE carriers.

Once deployed the new equipment was deployed and enabled. Yes, Band 41 and Wimax probably had similar footprint for a short period, but soon after Sprint also started deploying B41, so that similar footprint was short lived.

So i just signed up for sprint on the note 5. Thought I'd give it a try for a little bit.

I noticed that b41 is at 20 mhz bandwidth but CA is off. Can CA be turned on in some areas for more than 20 mhz bandwidth? post-61346-144613591358_thumb.png

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So i just signed up for sprint on the note 5. Thought I'd give it a try for a little bit.

I noticed that b41 is at 20 mhz bandwidth but CA is off. Can CA be turned on in some areas for more than 20 mhz bandwidth? attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-10-29-12-20-15.png

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CA is on by default, in NYC we do not have the second carrier enabled yet, But it will be fired up very very soon!

I noticed that b41 is at 20 mhz bandwidth but CA is off. Can CA be turned on in some areas for more than 20 mhz bandwidth? attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-10-29-12-20-15.png

Even when CA is available and active, the BW field will not indicate greater than 20 MHz FDD/TDD, as that is the greatest individual carrier bandwidth under current LTE standards.

AJ

Question guys,

Here is the deal, I have an iPhone 6 that I bought new shrink wrapped from ebay around april this year.
I wanted to trade the phone in to lease the 6S for $5 a month.

The rep at the store told me the phone is coming up flagged as stolen/lost. I checked swappa and other sources and yes it is fagged. But how is the phone still working on sprint then? Shouldn't the phone be disabled? Sprint is confused as well. 

Any ideas here?

Edited by Palan

Eh, speeds shouldn't be used to shame, rather, does the phone work or not, should be the benchmark.

I was in Jamaica yesterday at Hillside Honda and it was great to see B41 there. Was able to check carfax, truecar, etc. without any hiccups. That to me is what a benchmark of a usable network should be.

I agree. And as I mentioned before, Sprint network in NYC has improved tremendously in the past 1-2 years. Outdoors you are almost always connected to LTE. But then there are problems with the overburdened sites especially in Manhattan, and lack of LTE in several suburban areas. I usually visit Hicksville LI, Marlboro/Edison NJ and Kings of Prussia PA. Although the sponsor maps show most or all of the surrounding sites have been upgraded to LTE, there is barely any usable data. The point is that the current state of Sprint's network in the northeast is not comparable to other carriers.This can of course improve in the next year or two.

Sent from my LG G4

Some devices do support intraband b25 ca - sprint network equipment does not.

I'm hoping someone will, I'd like to see how sprint performs there especially with Spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found when I've gone to games at CitiField and Yankee Stadium this year, as recent as 6 weeks ago, it was best just to put my phone in EVDO only mode.  LTE was way overcrowded and on EVDO I was enjoying about 1.5 down consistently.  No issues and better than everyone around me.  I wonder if they have COW for the WS.

I've found when I've gone to games at CitiField and Yankee Stadium this year, as recent as 6 weeks ago, it was best just to put my phone in EVDO only mode. LTE was way overcrowded and on EVDO I was enjoying about 1.5 down consistently. No issues and better than everyone around me. I wonder if they have COW for the WS.

Were you connected to spark?

Maybe the COW wasn't working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with the series officially over, anyone make it to the games?

Many people from the Kansas City metro -- home of Sprint and the 2015 World Champion Royals -- made it to the games.

;)

AJ

Many people from the Kansas City metro -- home of Sprint and the 2015 World Champion Royals -- made it to the games.

;)

AJ

Eh, let's clarify, the games here at CitiField, am curious to hear how B41 fared.

Eh, let's clarify, the games here at CitiField, am curious to hear how B41 fared.

I, too, am talking about the away games at Citi Field.

;)

AJ