Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Carrier aggregation live there yet? 

But yeah, if someone wants to guinea pig for Fi in NYC I'd be interested to see what network it primarily uses and what speeds are like. 

I've been sitting on my Fi invite, can't get myself to spend the monthly fee with a few Xbox One games coming around the corner.

Has anyone tried Google's project fi? I'm curious as to how well it works in NYC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just activated, I'm in Yonkers tho. Westchester county, just north of NYC. I don't plan on staying with fi, just trying it out for a month on a second phone.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So I was entertaining myself the other day by debating on the comments section of a fiercewireless article with (wait for it......)...."Fabian," whatever that thing even is....and it was arguing that tmobile has a larger native footprint (nevermind LTE, we're talking total coverage of ANY kind) than Sprint. Is this true? To my limited knowledge, it is not. But I need to know...am I wrong?

Fabian is famous for his comments on FierceWireless. I use the name WilliamC on Fierce. So I hear a lot of his outlandish claims. Not saying they they are all incorrect. It is my favorite site to blog on after SprintUsers, Android forums, Howard Forums, DBSTalk, Engadget, Boy Genius Report and Phonearena.com. [emoji12]

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Does anyone here know if Sprint will activate a Sprint iPhone 6 purchased on eBay with a CLEAN ESN for a new customer who brings it in to get it activate it?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-384-take-two-sprint-offers-byod-for-apple-devices/

Ryan, I think that we all know the benefits of low band spectrum.  The problem is that T-Mobile practically throws itself at the charity of the court of public opinion on this matter.  "Oh, if only we had low band spectrum, we would be so great.  We could be the "uncarrier" VZW.  Please help us."

Pay the freight, T-Mobile.  What did Sprint pay, $40 billion, for Nextel?  And Sprint then paid billions more for public safety rebanding.  That is how it got a national portfolio of low band SMR and high band BRS/EBS.  T-Mobile could have been the Nextel merger partner instead.  T-Mobile could have bid in Auction 73 in 2008 for Lower 700 MHz or Upper 700 MHz spectrum.  Today, T-Mobile can buy up the Lower 700 MHz spectrum speculators.  It will cost billions, but that is the going rate.

No, T-Mobile trumps itself up as an underrepresented minority and basically wants low band "Affirmative Action" in the wireless industry.  It wants charity, not equality.

AJ

That's at once hilarious AND true.

I know this isn't the place for it but I'm so excited I had to put it here. This morning I realized I was using VoLTE on AT&T.

I'm in the Bronx now and every time I'm om a call, LTE shows on top rather than 4G. I've been all over Queens today and now the Bronx. I guess AT&T has quietly unleashed VoLTE in NYC.

Talking about Sprint, I used Sprint for a few days (14 day grace period) and I have to say WHAT A CHANGE!

It was on their iPhone 6 and I loved Band 41. So fast.

Call quality wasn't as great as AT&T's GSM network. I use the voice and surf the web feature a lot with AT&T so that is the only thing that's keeping me from switching to Sprint and now that AT&T has unleashed their VoLTE network in NYC, it's gonna be a lot harder to switch.

Overall, Sprint's LTE network was super fast but im certain areas it was slow or their video quality wasn't as freat compared to AT&T. Sometimes on my AT&T iPhone my videos played on HD and with Sprint sometimes it looked a little blurry and their 3G network was also amazingly fast.

In my basement, I would get Band 26 and about 11 down. I was very impressed that in certain areas if my basement I wiuld still get Band 41 and the deeper I got inside, it would quickly switch over to Band 26. I was very impressed.

Sptint has definitely improved. I was out in PA near Lancaster and Sprint was also good but in some areas it was slow but still very good and useable data.

• Like 1

I know this isn't the place for it but I'm so excited I had to put it here. This morning I realized I was using VoLTE on AT&T.

I'm in the Bronx now and every time I'm om a call, LTE shows on top rather than 4G. I've been all over Queens today and now the Bronx. I guess AT&T has quietly unleashed VoLTE in NYC.

Talking about Sprint, I used Sprint for a few days (14 day grace period) and I have to say WHAT A CHANGE!

It was on their iPhone 6 and I loved Band 41. So fast.

Call quality wasn't as great as AT&T's GSM network. I use the voice and surf the web feature a lot with AT&T so that is the only thing that's keeping me from switching to Sprint and now that AT&T has unleashed their VoLTE network in NYC, it's gonna be a lot harder to switch.

Overall, Sprint's LTE network was super fast but im certain areas it was slow or their video quality wasn't as freat compared to AT&T. Sometimes on my AT&T iPhone my videos played on HD and with Sprint sometimes it looked a little blurry and their 3G network was also amazingly fast.

In my basement, I would get Band 26 and about 11 down. I was very impressed that in certain areas if my basement I wiuld still get Band 41 and the deeper I got inside, it would quickly switch over to Band 26. I was very impressed.

Sptint has definitely improved. I was out in PA near Lancaster and Sprint was also good but in some areas it was slow but still very good and useable data.

Second Carrier is coming very very soon (probably 6-8weeks) to NYC and I fully expect nearly double the speeds on B41.

Call quality on Sprint is definitely better than ATT GSM. But, VoLTE is another cut above Sprint HD in terms of call quality, also VoLTE eliminates the need for a second radio to do Simultaneous calls/data. 

Thats why your seeing LTE instead of "4G" while on a call since Voice is passing through LTE, hence the name..

Second Carrier is coming very very soon (probably 6-8weeks) to NYC and I fully expect nearly double the speeds on B41.

It'll be a good capacity increase for sure.

Word on the street is Sprint and the old Clearwire transfers have been busy setting up multi gigabit microwave links to augment capacity in preparation for WiMax shutdown and firing up the 2nd B41 carrier. Just about a month and a few days to go. 

• Like 6

Word on the street is Sprint and the old Clearwire transfers have been busy setting up multi gigabit microwave links to augment capacity in preparation for WiMax shutdown and firing up the 2nd B41 carrier. Just about a month and a few days to go. 

Me when it all goes down!

child_candy_store_zps71b52d1f.jpg

• Like 2

Ah Microwaves...is there anything they can't do?

Ah Microwaves...is there anything they can't do?

Microwaves can do everything.  Dirty ones can cook Hot Pockets to be frozen in the middle or boiling lava hot.

AJ

• Like 3

I got a chance to test out a microwave setup through one of my clients that I installed all the networking equipment for, and i am very impressed. 

500mb/down and 250mb/up less than ~1ms ping supplied by towerstream.

Call quality on Sprint is definitely better than ATT GSM. But, VoLTE is another cut above Sprint HD in terms of call quality, also VoLTE eliminates the need for a second radio to do Simultaneous calls/data.

Thats why your seeing LTE instead of "4G" while on a call since Voice is passing through LTE, hence the name..

I have to disagree on the voice quality comment you mentioned. I really do think GSM voice quality is better. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I think voices sounds clearer on GSM.

Going back to the experience, Sprint has improved so much compared to the disastrous experience I had in 2011-12. I tried to wait out the storm but I couldn't and ended paying the ETF, jumped to tmobile and didn't have good reception, then jumped to AT&T and it's where I have stayed but I am still rooting for Sprint and follow this website like religion lol.

I have to disagree on the voice quality comment you mentioned. I really do think GSM voice quality is better. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I think voices sounds clearer on GSM.

That is not "GSM" voice quality.  It varies from AMR-HR to AMR-WB.  You are making a determination based off of a limited sample size.  Plus, you call it "GSM."

AJ

• Like 1

In your limited experience, you may have had slightly better voice on AT&T than Sprint, but the overall assessment from our member base is that Sprint CDMA and HD-Voice sounds better than the AT&T and T-Mobile's voice experience.

In your limited experience, you may have had slightly better voice on AT&T than Sprint, but the overall assessment from our member base is that Sprint CDMA and HD-Voice sounds better than the AT&T and T-Mobile's voice experience.

Will Sprint eventually shut down cdma

Eventually.... maybe. It's not on the roadmap right now though.

I see why Sprint is usually last to deploy things ...they want to fine tune it and make sure it functions right...I applaude them

• Like 1

I see why Sprint is usually last to deploy things ...they want to fine tune it and make sure it functions right...I applaude them

Last?  That typically would be T-Mobile.

Sprint was not the last to deploy LTE, WiMAX, or "3G," etc.

AJ

• Like 2