Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I saw all 3 bands inside the Javits Center on Friday, even downstairs. My phone was switching around like crazy, not because of signal, but because all 3 bands were hammered with traffic and load balancing seemed to be working correctly.

B41 in the basement was a bit surprising. None of the bands were particularly fast, but it was a crammed convention center with people sharing pictures constantly I'd imagine.

• Like 1

I saw all 3 bands inside the Javits Center on Friday, even downstairs. My phone was switching around like crazy, not because of signal, but because all 3 bands were hammered with traffic and load balancing seemed to be working correctly.

B41 in the basement was a bit surprising. None of the bands were particularly fast, but it was a crammed convention center with people sharing pictures constantly I'd imagine.

I went by as well, but unfortunately my phone died about 20 minutes after getting there, and I was too busy to check speeds/bands etc. 

But for the 20 minutes I was there, it was actually pretty usable. I was able to upload a few shots and browse the web without much issue.

I did notice I connected to Clear B41 just outside of the Javits, which truly surprised me considering I would drive by almost everyday and I would drop to B25. I think they might have adjusted one of the sites near by.

No Bueno means no good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhh...twospirits speaks fluent Spanish. He knows what 'no bueno' means. He is saying your gigantico image is what is no bueno.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 2

It really makes me wonder how people are ranting and raving about T-Mobile's speeds and site density in NYC when Sprint is matching them and in many cases beating them.

Honestly it's not the case all over NYC. Here in Queens it's a slightly different story. I have both a T-Mo Nexus 5 and my Sprint phones, and I can tell you that my Sprint phones never have speeds anywhere near T-Mobiles, no matter what area I'm in.

Honestly it's not the case all over NYC. Here in Queens it's a slightly different story. I have both a T-Mo Nexus 5 and my Sprint phones, and I can tell you that my Sprint phones never have speeds anywhere near T-Mobiles, no matter what area I'm in.

I rarely go up to northern queens, but I drove a buddy of mine to JFK, service was weak up there. Its a completely different story around Astoria and LIC area..

Also Jfk around terminal 4 and 5, service was god awful, 

Queens is definitely Sprints weakest market in NYC.

• Like 1

Same. When I went to the car show it was cool to see Band 41 in the basement and at reasonable speeds too.

Damn, I knew I forgot to do something while I was there Friday. I didn't check the signals. Was too busy taking pics and throwing uncontrollable kids out of cars and giving their parents the evil eye.

Uhhh...twospirits speaks fluent Spanish. He knows what 'no bueno' means. He is saying your gigantico image is what is no bueno.

Give that man a cookie (or a drumstick) :P

So yeah, 1st language, English, second language Spanish, third language (about to over take the 1st) is cursing in German. Which is what I was doing when I saw that big ass screenshot.

TS

• Like 4

I rarely go up to northern queens, but I drove a buddy of mine to JFK, service was weak up there. Its a completely different story around Astoria and LIC area..

Also Jfk around terminal 4 and 5, service was god awful, 

Queens is definitely Sprints weakest market in NYC.

Yep, I live in Woodside, and usually spend my evenings between LIC and Astoria, so I'm familiar with the area. My biggest annoyance is honestly site placement, with Sprint sites usually located on buildings that have other buildings between them. The same thing happens with my apartment. The Sprint site is blocked by a taller building, while the T-Mobile site (I believe it's T-Mo) is almost line of sight, with no obstructions. 

Yep, I live in Woodside, and usually spend my evenings between LIC and Astoria, so I'm familiar with the area. My biggest annoyance is honestly site placement, with Sprint sites usually located on buildings that have other buildings between them. The same thing happens with my apartment. The Sprint site is blocked by a taller building, while the T-Mobile site (I believe it's T-Mo) is almost line of sight, with no obstructions. 

That seems to be a problem throughout much of the outer boroughs, most notably Brooklyn and Queens. With rapid gentrification and development of these areas, many areas are being rezoned so that taller buildings can be built. As a result, the site that fit the neighborhood 10 years ago isn't going to fit the neighborhood now. Sprint has been doing a good job of adding sites in Downtown Brooklyn where pretty much every new building is a skyscraper but they aren't doing as well further into the borough. 

Either way, the site densification plan should help with this issue throughout the city.

Today had a full day to compare T-Mobile and Sprint.

Its pretty crazy how close they are outdoors.

Sprint is almost exactly the same in terms of download speeds, except once I saw T-Mobile hit 65mbs in midtown west vs sprint hitting mid teens.

Aside from that, both services were about the same outdoors, averaging 15-30mbs.

Until one tiny thing happened, went up to Yonkers and T-Mobile got stuck on H, and sprint kept chugging along on LTE. Speeds on T-Mobile were still between 1-5mbs on H. But the pings and uploads were horrendous.

Now indoors, everything changed, T-Mobile kept bouncing between H and LTE (and Edge for a short period)

Sprint kept an LTE signal 90% of the times indoors.

Good to see Sprint matching T-Mobile outdoors and surpassing them indoors with one single carrier, that second carrier/higher mimo will definitely solidify Sprint as a sure competitor to Verizon here in NYC.

Obviously everyones experience will vary, but this covered about 50sq NYC miles, and is a good indicator of what to expect.

Sprint has lowband lte so of course they're gonna have better indoors lte.

That seems to be a problem throughout much of the outer boroughs, most notably Brooklyn and Queens. With rapid gentrification and development of these areas, many areas are being rezoned so that taller buildings can be built. As a result, the site that fit the neighborhood 10 years ago isn't going to fit the neighborhood now. Sprint has been doing a good job of adding sites in Downtown Brooklyn where pretty much every new building is a skyscraper but they aren't doing as well further into the borough. 

Either way, the site densification plan should help with this issue throughout the city.

I think it's just difficult to pitch Sprint when all the locations that I go to with family who's on Tmo or AT&T have a better experience.

• Like 1

Sprint has lowband lte so of course they're gonna have better indoors lte.

And what is your point?  T-Mobile should be excused because it has no presently usable low band spectrum?

No, that is T-Mobile's own fault.  And T-Mobile has to compete against the others on in building coverage -- low band spectrum or not.

AJ

• Like 2

And what is your point?  T-Mobile should be excused because it has no presently usable low band spectrum?

No, that is T-Mobile's own fault.  And T-Mobile has to compete against the others on in building coverage -- low band spectrum or not.

AJ

It is amazing to me that when Sprint had no lowband spectrum deployed, Sprint was frequently bashed for it.  But in places where Tmo doesn't have it, they get a pass.  As if now it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

It is amazing to me that when Sprint had no lowband spectrum deployed, Sprint was frequently bashed for it.  But in places where Tmo doesn't have it, they get a pass.  As if now it doesn't matter.

With T-Mobile, now here is nowhere.  It is all about the future and how great Magenta is going to be -- once it gets low band spectrum.

AJ

And what is your point? T-Mobile should be excused because it has no presently usable low band spectrum?

No, that is T-Mobile's own fault. And T-Mobile has to compete against the others on in building coverage -- low band spectrum or not.

AJ

And it is. It's about to overtake sprint in total customers.

• Like 1

And it is. It's about to overtake sprint in total customers.

Possibly.  But there you go again, maximus, using present popularity as a premise.  By current sales, Bieber is a superior musician to Beethoven.  That form of argumentation is de minimis.

#FadsFadeOut

AJ

• Like 3

Possibly. But there you go again, maximus, using present popularity as a premise. By current sales, Bieber is a superior musician to Beethoven. That form of argumentation is de minimis.

#FadsFadeOut

AJ

TMO doesn't need to beat sprint, just att.

• Like 1

I meant on network performance.

Faster than the slowest antelope.

And they very well may beat AT&T on network performance, in their top markets. But those same AT&T customers who are in the second tier markets, who are just as important, may never see the benefits of switching, thus keeping them safely locked to the death star.

Markets like NYC are urban hotspots filled with 80%'ers who never leave the same 6 cell towers. They make their buying decision based on emotional responses, rather than practical. General coverage here in somewhat equal among the 4 carriers, with each having their own issues in certain locations. 

• Like 2

And they very well may beat AT&T on network performance, in their top markets. But those same AT&T customers who are in the second tier markets, who are just as important, may never see the benefits of switching, thus keeping them safely locked to the death star.

Markets like NYC are urban hotspots filled with 80%'ers who never leave the same 6 cell towers. They make their buying decision based on emotional responses, rather than practical. General coverage here in somewhat equal among the 4 carriers, with each having their own issues in certain locations. 

BUT tmo price is much better. People may tolerate slightly suckier service for much lower price but with 700a + new phones, service may equalize.