Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I hung out in Manhattan today with some friends and had a Sprint Band 41 signal at Columbus Circle. Speeds were about 6 Down and 7 Up. That second carrier couldn't come sooner.

That is the problem of having too many MVNOs in my opinion. I think it's time for sprint to kick out some of those MVNOs.

That is the problem of having too many MVNOs in my opinion. I think it's time for sprint to kick out some of those MVNOs.

I don't think that's really the issue. There seems to be some sort of artificial limitation.

Are you referring to speed? "Band" indicates which frequency and type of LTE you are connected. Sprint uses Band 25, Band 26, and Band 41 LTE.

Well yeah I imagine the higher the band the better bandwidth speed I will get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hung out in Manhattan today with some friends and had a Sprint Band 41 signal at Columbus Circle. Speeds were about 6 Down and 7 Up. That second carrier couldn't come sooner.

Honestly I'm more than happy with that. I hang out at the Starbucks near my wife's job and stream Netflix while waiting for her. Having those speeds consistently to do so is more important than 30-40mbps to show off.

Well yeah I imagine the higher the band the better bandwidth speed I will get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, LTE bands are labels assigned to certain frequency groups. They have nothing to do with speed.

Honestly I'm more than happy with that. I hang out at the Starbucks near my wife's job and stream Netflix while waiting for her. Having those speeds consistently to do so is more important than 30-40mbps to show off.

Those speeds are perfectly fine, the problem lies on sites that cover more ground. My sprint B41 home site covers an enormous amount of ground and in essense drags down peak speeds to below 2mbs during peak hours (other hours its fine, btwn 4-8mbs)

I am sure if they provision it to a proper 80mbs backhaul those speeds would be at least double that.

Those speeds are perfectly fine, the problem lies on sites that cover more ground. My sprint B41 home site covers an enormous amount of ground and in essense drags down peak speeds to below 2mbs during peak hours (other hours its fine, btwn 4-8mbs)

I am sure if they provision it to a proper 80mbs backhaul those speeds would be at least double that.

It really depends on the site but I'm sure the sites are provisioned for enough users. You're in the Bronx right? I'm surprised your site is serving that large of an area.

The speeds are fine, but Sprint has a perception problem as the slower LTE network in America. With carrier aggregation coming shortly, hopefully third party studies see the change as faster network then the company is on the road to recovery of Postpaid smartphone customers.

I don't want this to happen to shut up the critics, but for the health of the company.

A slogan in ads with the faster LTE network in America would help a lot.

I've been here sine Wednesday night and so far I've not encountered 3G once. Everywhere I go, there is an LTE signal. I am on Band 41 95% of the time and according to the Speedtest.net app, my speeds on average have been between 4.9Mbps and 9Mbps on average. my highest speed test so far was 22 Mbps. I have yet to go to my normal 70Mbps site to see how it's doing but I plan on going to it tomorrow to see if speeds are similar to the rest of the city.

• Like 1

It really depends on the site but I'm sure the sites are provisioned for enough users. You're in the Bronx right? I'm surprised your site is serving that large of an area.

Its by far the most I've seen any B41 site cover, about 2 1/2 square miles, which translates to a ton of users. It is very impressive.

It does have the benefit of being at the highest point in the area.

• Like 1

Its by far the most I've seen any B41 site cover, about 2 1/2 square miles, which translates to a ton of users. It is very impressive.

It does have the benefit of being at the highest point in the area.

Sounds like this site needs second carrier, sooner then later.

The 70Mbps site is still running fine. Speeds are still regularly in the 70Mbps range which differs from most of the Band 41 sites throughout the city. I also encountered two more sites in Brooklyn, one in Prospect Heights by the Barclay's Center and another in Cobble Hill that were pushing 40 and 42 Mbps respectively. Those also differed from the norm but it's interesting to see which sites are not crumbling under the load and which are. My guess is these sites got a fiber upgrade already or had them from when Clear owned the site. The Band 41 site by the Barclay's Center was likely a priority site that was at the top of the list for backhaul upgrades and likely will be one of the first in the city with a second carrier, along with those by MSG and Yankee Stadium.

• Like 1

Today had a full day to compare T-Mobile and Sprint.

Its pretty crazy how close they are outdoors.

Sprint is almost exactly the same in terms of download speeds, except once I saw T-Mobile hit 65mbs in midtown west vs sprint hitting mid teens.

Aside from that, both services were about the same outdoors, averaging 15-30mbs.

Until one tiny thing happened, went up to Yonkers and T-Mobile got stuck on H, and sprint kept chugging along on LTE. Speeds on T-Mobile were still between 1-5mbs on H. But the pings and uploads were horrendous.

Now indoors, everything changed, T-Mobile kept bouncing between H and LTE (and Edge for a short period)

Sprint kept an LTE signal 90% of the times indoors.

Good to see Sprint matching T-Mobile outdoors and surpassing them indoors with one single carrier, that second carrier/higher mimo will definitely solidify Sprint as a sure competitor to Verizon here in NYC.

Obviously everyones experience will vary, but this covered about 50sq NYC miles, and is a good indicator of what to expect.

• Like 5

It really makes me wonder how people are ranting and raving about T-Mobile's speeds and site density in NYC when Sprint is matching them and in many cases beating them.

Because overall sprint is abysmal in the grand scheme of things.

They're better than it used to be but nowhere near as competitive in a lot of crucial places.

Sent from my Nexus 5

They're better than it used to be but nowhere near as competitive in a lot of crucial places.

Sent from my Nexus 5

What do you mean by the grand scheme of things?

• Like 2

What do you mean by the grand scheme of things?

Sprints data speeds are not "reliable" in that it varies greatly from place to place. One specific area can be outsanding while another will be abysmal. The other carriers also have such types of areas but these are far from being a normal occurance whereas you can expect sprint to be wildly variable. 

• Like 1

Sent from my Nexus 5

Pretty great in NYC, good in Northern NJ good also in CT so works for me and a lot of folks in the north east.

As long as they continue to improve, I'll stick around.

• Like 2

Pretty great in NYC, good in Northern NJ good also in CT so works for me and a lot of folks in the north east.

As long as they continue to improve, I'll stick around.

Aye and they will be even better when they fire up the 2nd PCS carrier in a few months me thinks. 

• Like 3

Sprints data speeds are not "reliable" in that it varies greatly from place to place. One specific area can be outsanding while another will be abysmal. The other carriers also have such types of areas but these are far from being a normal occurance whereas you can expect sprint to be wildly variable.

With B25/26 being as narrow spectrally as it is, it will never be perfect in places where current density is not great.

But what I have noticed here more and more is how long the phone will hang on to B41 deep indoors (sometimes with signals as low as -130dBm)

If Mimo could improve at edge performance as much as they say it could, I think it will do wonders to really alleviate B25/B26 even more than it already has.