Change download location in Android 4.0?

Odell

When my browser (default or Chrome) downloads a file it places it in mnt/sdcard/Download. When I hook my phone (HTC Evo LTE) to my computer via USB I can only view files and folders that are located at mnt/sdcard/ext_sd. There doesn't appear to be any way in the default browser settings or in Chrome to change the location of downloads. Do any of you know how I can go about changing that location or making files and folders that are in mnt/sdcard/ viewable from my PC?

I am not rooted and if I have to root just to gain this functionality then I'll do without it. I just don't want to root my phone at this time.

I'm still searching for the settings in Chrome, but for the stock app try this:

Open up the app, Menu > Settings > Advanced > Download Storage and make sure Storage Card is selected. I just tried this and made sure when i download say an image, it went to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/Download.

• Like 1

I'm still searching for the settings in Chrome, but for the stock app try this:

Open up the app, Menu > Settings > Advanced > Download Storage and make sure Storage Card is selected. I just tried this and made sure when i download say an image, it went to /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/Download.

Thanks for responding. The settings were correct within the stock browser. I just assumed that Chrome grabbed the download location from the stock settings and that when the stock settings said "storage card" it was referring to mnt/sdcard and not the ext_sd.

I just tested and the downloads from within the stock browser go where I want them so it's a Chrome issue. I can't find the setting anywhere in Chrome.

Thanks for responding. The settings were correct within the stock browser. I just assumed that Chrome grabbed the download location from the stock settings and that when the stock settings said "storage card" it was referring to mnt/sdcard and not the ext_sd.

I just tested and the downloads from within the stock browser go where I want them so it's a Chrome issue. I can't find the setting anywhere in Chrome.

As a work around you could use ES File Explorer and cut and paste what you want into ext_sd. Maybe in TWRP you could mount the internal storage... but rebooting to recovery every time to pull some files off really isn't feasible.

As a work around you could use ES File Explorer and cut and paste what you want into ext_sd. Maybe in TWRP you could mount the internal storage... but rebooting to recovery every time to pull some files off really isn't feasible.

I use Astro and have used ES before. Normally this isn't an issue but I downloaded a file with a bad filename. It was an audio file with just the dot and the extension. I wanted to delete it but it wouldn't show up in Astro. It would show up in a search but when I would go to the folder I couldn't see it. I was eventually able to delete it from within the music player app.

I bet if I was rooted I could use Root Explorer and see the file. Oh well. I may start a ticket with Google to see if they can add the ability to change the folder location.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

Does Astro have an option to show hidden files? I think that would have made the file show up' date=' since everything that begins with a period gets the hidden attribute.[/quote']

Yep, tried that. Everything that was formatted ". <filename>.xxx" showed up but not this file.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

Strange, the file must have been corrupt or something.

I think this is what you want to get to the phone storage with your pc. When connecting to USB, choose media sync on the phone. It should show up like a media player and give you access to the internal storage. I never needed to use it, but just tried it to see and I see both the phone storage and my sd card.

Strange, the file must have been corrupt or something.

I think this is what you want to get to the phone storage with your pc. When connecting to USB, choose media sync on the phone. It should show up like a media player and give you access to the internal storage. I never needed to use it, but just tried it to see and I see both the phone storage and my sd card.

Thanks for the Media Sync tip. That worked perfectly.

As for the file I was looking for; I thought it might be corrupt as well but it played fine in my music player so it couldn't have been too corrupted. The Evo just didn't like the filename apparently and refused to display the file. It would tell me that the file was indeed on the device and even show me where it was located but it refused to show the actual file. The nerve of my phone. Doesn't it know that I am its master and not the other way around!