New York City Faster Speeds

Paynefanbro

understood but I'm not really referring to the capabilities of WiMax but to the kind of speeds I've seen in the last several years here. overall, speeds in Brooklyn are nowhere near the speeds in Manhattan, and the speeds in Manhattan don't come particularly close to 16 Mbps either. it seems very strange that the area of Brooklyn he's referring to (Flatlands) would have WiMax service that strong.

I got that speed in Pelham bay area buddy, and its in my Photon. I have no reason to lie. I was in D.C. last week and got 1.892 down and 1.150 up on 3G with a 73ms ping. In queens and the Bronx recently I got 1.92 down and 1.0 up on 3g. In NYC last week I got .873 up, and .413 down on 3g with a 145ms ping. This was on riverside Drive and 158th near the GW Bridge. Also since when is "your" personal experience suppose to negate someone else's on a network with different devices and different locations....wake up! In such instances as these the phone reults is my witness, and to lie does not help the community one iota.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Didn't sprint technically release LTE for Manhattan? I'll be going thru Manhattan today on the A train to penn station then back to the jersey side so I'll post my results.

Manhattan Kansas. I am not expecting any type of LTE signal until mid to late October or if we are lucky late September.

I got that speed in Pelham bay area buddy, and its in my Photon. I have no reason to lie. I  was in D.C. last week and got 1.892 down and 1.150 up on 3G with a 73ms ping. In queens and the Bronx recently I  got 1.92 down and 1.0 up on 3g. In NYC last week I got .873 up, and .413 down on 3g with a 145ms ping. This was on riverside Drive and 158th near the GW Bridge. Also since when is "your" personal experience suppose to negate someone else's on a network with different devices and different locations....wake up! In such instances as these the phone reults is my witness, and to lie does not help the community one iota.

my post was in no way directed at you, so please reserve your flaming for someone else.  my skepticism stems from having run countless speed tests on multiple Sprint devices in Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn and never consistently achieving 4G speeds like the ones the person I was speaking to reported.  while I don't believe he lied, my experience with Sprint has been that an isolated test conducted at an optimum moment can yield skewed results.  these results yield an outlier with an extremely high value and one that's not capable of being reproduced over time.  that was the source of my skepticism, which again, had nothing to do with you.

this evening (just before 8pm), however, I noticed the fastest 3G speeds I've ever been able to achieve in my neighborhood.  running three tests in the span of a couple of minutes, the slowest download was 1.11 Mbps with a max of 1.26.  pings ranged from 99 to 140.  upstream was still pretty mediocre (0.43-0.76) but those download speeds are literally supersonic when compared to what one can normally pull up here.  I'm going to keep running tests over the next few days to see whether this was a fluke from an abnormal small number of people being around because of Labor Day or if some improvement really did occur.

Edited by Morningside78

my post was in no way directed at you, so please reserve your flaming for someone else. my skepticism stems from having run countless speed tests on multiple Sprint devices in Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn and never consistently achieving 4G speeds like the ones the person I was speaking to reported. while I don't believe he lied, my experience with Sprint has been that an isolated test conducted at an optimum moment can yield skewed results. these results yield an outlier with an extremely high value and one that's not capable of being reproduced over time. that was the source of my skepticism, which again, had nothing to do with you.

this evening (just before 8pm), however, I noticed the fastest 3G speeds I've ever been able to achieve in my neighborhood. running three tests in the span of a couple of minutes, the slowest download was 1.11 Mbps with a max of 1.26. pings ranged from 99 to 140. upstream was still pretty mediocre (0.43-0.76) but those download speeds are literally supersonic when compared to what one can normally pull up here. I'm going to keep running tests over the next few days to see whether this was a fluke from an abnormal small number of people being around because of Labor Day or if some improvement really did occur.

Well "that" person was me, and I was representing myself. I got 16mb down in Pelham Bay in the Bronx, your skepticism has nothing do do with the fact that I did get that speed. Again as I mentioned earlier just because you are not able to mimic this does "not" mean that "I" did not get that speed. There isn't any place on the Now network that gets consistent speeds so that is a moot point. I got 1.9 mb on 3g in Parkchester and I don't get that on a consistent basis. Until the city is complete the test will always be skewed speed and reception wise!

Let's keep our forums upbeat. There is no reason that this thread should descend into bickering. 16Mbps speeds are possible on WiMax in places where there is ample carriers deployed to service the sector and excellent backhaul.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Does anyone know when to expect to see signs of life of the LTE network in NYC. I am thinking late September to Mid October is when I will start seeing it.

That's also what I'm expecting. LTE is just starting to be completed on the very first sites in the market.

Robert

• Like 1

this evening (just before 8pm), however, I noticed the fastest 3G speeds I've ever been able to achieve in my neighborhood.  running three tests in the span of a couple of minutes, the slowest download was 1.11 Mbps with a max of 1.26.  pings ranged from 99 to 140.  upstream was still pretty mediocre (0.43-0.76) but those download speeds are literally supersonic when compared to what one can normally pull up here.  I'm going to keep running tests over the next few days to see whether this was a fluke from an abnormal small number of people being around because of Labor Day or if some improvement really did occur.

just to follow up on Sunday night's excellent speeds, I've run speed tests on Tuesday and Wednesday and it's back to the usual slow transfer rates and high pings. I guess the slight blip in improvement was the result of this neighborhood being empty for the Labor Day holiday after all.

That's also what I'm expecting. LTE is just starting to be completed on the very first sites in the market.

Robert

I'm now heading to NYC (Chinatown mostly, some Midtown) for the last week of Sept. It's wishful thinking to have LTE..

WiMAX was decent, I don't want to go through the hassle of going back to my old phone..

This first test was taken on my way to school today. http://db.tt/VemDajq6

This second test was taken on Labor Day early in the morning which is why I have low pings and high speeds.

http://db.tt/2R9hiXNI

These were both taken in the Flatlands area of Brooklyn.

Edited by Paynefanbro

Sprint speeds here in Long Island are killing me....and I've been on Sprint since 96....I'm trying to hold out for this roll out...granted being shafted getting the og evo day 1 an only exp 4g about 5 times...to now having the evo lte from pre-order and now having to basically another year to maybe exp lte....I don't know how much more I can takeyqe7ezen.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sprint speeds here in Long Island are killing me....and I've been on Sprint since 96....I'm trying to hold out for this roll out...granted being shafted getting the og evo day 1 an only exp 4g about 5 times...to now having the evo lte from pre-order and now having to basically another year to maybe exp lte....I don't know how much more I can take

wow, '96. old school. here's my basic beef with this whole roll out thing, and perhaps one of the experts here can address it since I'm by no means an expert on Sprint's network. the more threads I read here discussing NV, the more I start seeing built-in excuses for why this either won't work particularly well in places like the NYC metro area, or why it'll be a hell of a long time before we're seeing consistent service here anywhere near the level Sprint claims it'll be. my concern has to do primarily with the sheer amount of work required to guarantee a high level of service beyond those who are right next to NV towers at an optimal time of day. Sprint, in my experience with them since data demands have soared, has not been even competent when it comes to providing service at the level of its competitors for a consistent period of time. Apart from the few outliers who report very high network speeds, the majority of people in this area don't get even good data speeds from Sprint with any reliability. Now, I fully understand that Sprint has come up against certain technological limitations and that's the reason for its network overhaul. But is it reasonable to assume that the same poor decisions that resulted in WiMax and shoddy tech support for several years will do a complete 180 just because they've said so?

Edited by Morningside78

wow, '96. old school. here's my basic beef with this whole roll out thing, and perhaps one of the experts here can address it since I'm by no means an expert on Sprint's network. the more threads I read here discussing NV, the more I start seeing built-in excuses for why this either won't work particularly well in places like the NYC metro area, or why it'll be a hell of a long time before we're seeing consistent service here anywhere near the level Sprint claims it'll be. my concern has to do primarily with the sheer amount of work required to guarantee a high level of service beyond those who are right next to NV towers at an optimal time of day. Sprint, in my experience with them since data demands have soared, has not been even competent when it comes to providing service at the level of its competitors for a consistent period of time. Apart from the few outliers who report very high network speeds, the majority of people in this area don't get even good data speeds from Sprint with any reliability. Now, I fully understand that Sprint has come up against certain technological limitations and that's the reason for its network overhaul. But is it reasonable to assume that the same poor decisions that resulted in WiMax and shoddy tech support for several years will do a complete 180 just because they've said so?

same thoughts I have

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Wimax was rolled out by Clearwire, not Sprint. Sprint LTE will be better because it will be on their towers, which will put LTE almost everywhere evdo is located.

The biggest problem with the data speeds is backhaul to towers. As part of the NV, the backhaul will be upgraded, which will fix a big part of the data speed issues. Currently, most of the tower backhaul are T1s. The data limit on a T1 is about 1.4 meg. The requirement for the new backhaul is somewhere around 300 to 400 meg. There are some other things that could be causing the data issues, but lack of backhaul bandwidth is by far the biggest issue.

As a corporation that needs subscribers to survive, what else are they suppose to say? I have been with sprint for over 10 years and I too know what it feels like to have my reliable services reduced to absolutely nothing over the last year and a half and when network vision went into full swing things had gotten even worse but now I can honestly say that within the last few months I have in fact seen a total 180 turn around with 3g and 4g data. I am in a first round market(atlanta) so I am seeing changes happen faster than you but the changes are coming, this is not wimax all over again. The purpose of this site is to simply better educate you as far as what is happening with sprint and network vision. If based on the information you find here you feel that sprint can no longer provide you what you need then simply go to another carrier that can. I was ready to jump ship myself until I came across this site, which gave me the answers that sprint couldn't and because of what I found on s4gru I decided to stay with sprint a little while longer.

• Like 7

The purpose of this site is to simply better educate you as far as what is happening with sprint and network vision. If based on the information you find here you feel that sprint can no longer provide you what you need then simply go to another carrier that can. I was ready to jump ship myself until I came across this site, which gave me the answers that sprint couldn't and because of what I found on s4gru I decided to stay with sprint a little while longer.

^THIS

TS

• Like 1

Hello, I currently live in the Rochester area (Avon NY) and have had an iPhone up until yesterday and my 3G speeds on my iPhone were always .1-.25 down and .00-.15 up....but just as I got my Photon Q my speeds have been flying....I will post my highest speedtest but most are consistently .5-.7 down and .5 up....I think it is because of this phone....my iPhone was always slow from day 1.....I don't think we have had any network upgrades lately....has anyone else experienced this (either faster speeds coming from and iPhone to Android or just faster speeds in general)

Thank You

4yze5y7e.jpg

Sent from my Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

And again...if these speeds keep up....I will be happy with Sprint once again....something I could never say after November of 2011....when my data speeds started to slow to nothing....

ny7a5uve.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE using Tapatalk 2

I live in brooklyn in the bensonhurst area and work in manhatten midtown there are almost no speeds and a very low signal over here for the past 2 months....i hope this changes very soon. I have access to my roof where i work i can see tons of towers around me and i see no changes on any of them. I hope this changes soon.