Network Vision/LTE - Oklahoma Market

Serious

I have been all through Dallas twice in the last 4 months, neither of those times did my LTE experience prove to be any better than it is here in OKC or Tulsa.  Many huge gaps still exist throughout the metro. If he is Tri-band equipped he should see the benefits Band 26 soon & Spark  :D .

-Will 

But there are so many more markers on the map!

Been quite a while since I've gone down there, guess I just assumed that the metroplex would have better service. But, no 800 MHz marker around Plano.

DiL does have a Nexus 5 so she's set for tri-band.  Unfortunately the Kiddo has a 5S, drank the Kool-aid.

But there are so many more markers on the map!

Been quite a while since I've gone down there, guess I just assumed that the metroplex would have better service. But, no 800 MHz marker around Plano.

DiL does have a Nexus 5 so she's set for tri-band.  Unfortunately the Kiddo has a 5S, drank the Kool-aid.

My brother at Columbia in NYC chose the 5S as well and is missing out on the TDD site perched across the street from the building he lives in.  Either way the band 26 experience will provide a solid signal and reasonable throughput depending on sector traffic & backhaul.  

-Will

I'm surprised that you get any signal at all at home what with all those apartments sucking it up! 

Wonder what the holdup is with the water tower on Lindsey (near Classen)? 

Water tower in Yukon is finally active LTE (from old route 66 near Mustang Rd):

YukonWaterTower.PNG

• Like 1

I'm surprised that you get any signal at all at home what with all those apartments sucking it up! 

Wonder what the holdup is with the water tower on Lindsey (near Classen)? 

Water tower in Yukon is finally active LTE (from old route 66 near Mustang Rd):

attachicon.gifYukonWaterTower.PNG

If i go outside my home I can get a -85dBm signal, inside I hover around -105-110dBm.  I see varied speeds 1-5 mbps average, but occasionally I have pulled in low teen figures.  One issue is that the tower on Boyd & 24th which is marked as live does not, and has not broadcast since it's completion in September.   Since Sprint has "lit" the OU water tower I suspect that the Lindsey and Classen site has fallen in priority since they are within a 1/2 mile of each other.  

Is that speedtest from inside your home?

-Will

If i go outside my home I can get a -85dBm signal, inside I hover around -105-110dBm.  I see varied speeds 1-5 mbps average, but occasionally I have pulled in low teen figures.  One issue is that the tower on Boyd & 24th which is marked as live does not, and has not broadcast since it's completion in September.   Since Sprint has "lit" the OU water tower I suspect that the Lindsey and Classen site has fallen in priority since they are within a 1/2 mile of each other.  

Is that speedtest from inside your home?

-Will

Nope, the Yukon speedtest was just going down the road heading to the GF's house.  She's a little further away from the tower, right on the border with OKC.   Speeds aren't as impressive there but much better than when sometimes you'd get a signal from the Garth Brooks Blvd & Route 66 tower.  I did some speedtests from inside her house, I'll post one when I get back out to the car (where the phone is currently located).  I will have to check to see if the LTE is faster than her old clunky DSL. 

-85dBm is pretty good.  I'll have to have kiddo #1 check his signal at work (Timberdell between Chautauqua & Asp).

At home in Choctaw I'm lucky to get better than -108dBm from a tower ~4.7 miles away.  Four other towers are closer but one is 3G-only, one is 10 foot tall (small exaggeration) with a useful radius of 1 mile, one is probably out of LOS as it's downhill south of I-240, and the tall tower at NE 23rd & Westminster just doesn't work well.  Is it possible that the antennas were never aimed properly?  There's great signal right underneath it but dropoff is rapid, another tower with about a 1-mile useful radius. 

right on the border with OKC

I first read this sentence as "between On the Border and KFC".

I think I may be hungry. :roflmao:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I first read this sentence as "between On the Border and KFC".

I think I may be hungry. :roflmao:

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Let's see, go out for lunch for some fried chicken, maybe the buffet at Mackie's, or go to the gym and eat a protein bar? 

Decisions decisions. 

• Like 1

Nope, the Yukon speedtest was just going down the road heading to the GF's house.  She's a little further away from the tower, right on the border with OKC.   Speeds aren't as impressive there but much better than when sometimes you'd get a signal from the Garth Brooks Blvd & Route 66 tower.  I did some speedtests from inside her house, I'll post one when I get back out to the car (where the phone is currently located).  I will have to check to see if the LTE is faster than her old clunky DSL. 

-85dBm is pretty good.  I'll have to have kiddo #1 check his signal at work (Timberdell between Chautauqua & Asp).

At home in Choctaw I'm lucky to get better than -108dBm from a tower ~4.7 miles away.  Four other towers are closer but one is 3G-only, one is 10 foot tall (small exaggeration) with a useful radius of 1 mile, one is probably out of LOS as it's downhill south of I-240, and the tall tower at NE 23rd & Westminster just doesn't work well.  Is it possible that the antennas were never aimed properly?  There's great signal right underneath it but dropoff is rapid, another tower with about a 1-mile useful radius. 

-108dBm indoors from almost 5 miles is not shabby for PCS!  I have similar signal strengths and I am under a mile from my sector. 

Will

Some speedtests from my house, ~4.7 miles ESE of the tower (cell 224) at NE 10th & Douglas:

From the "library" in the back of the house while RSSP = -108dBm:

-108dBm.PNG

From the front of the house while RSSP = -98dBm:

-98dBm.PNG

Tulsa, OK near I-244 & Hwy 51 checking in. I'm having highly variable bandwidth here but it seems to have really smoothed out over the past couple of days. Grabbed a Nexus 5 for $35 at Best Buy (since they price match with Amazon wireless) for my upgrade. 

I called in when it was hitting .01Mbps on Wednesday and Thursday during the middle of the day. Hopefully they fixed it for the people (like me) who need the bandwidth during workdays.

Screenshot_2014-01-26-12-08-35.png

Edited by bantership
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mobilesolutions, when do you think OKC will get Spark? 2014Q4? Wife and I are looking at new phones, definitely want to make sure we get one that will support it...

Q4 2014 is extremely optimistic. I would guess Q4 2015 is when they start here.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I was just going by what he said here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1653-network-visionlte-oklahoma-market/?view=findpost&p=269081

If you are following the continuation of Sprint's network vision as we enter into phase 2 or "NV 2.0" it should be noted that Sprint is deploying band 26 in Oklahoma this year and this will extend LTE connectivity indoors as well as fill in any gaps in coverage that have not been addressed in NV 1.0.

Isn't Band 26 spark?

Mobilesolutions, when do you think OKC will get Spark?  2014Q4?   Wife and I are looking at new phones, definitely want to make sure we get one that will support it...

Absolutely get a device to support the coming bands. This year Oklahoma will get band 26 which is the "800"MHz SMR LTE that will give you more ubiquitis coverage and allow you to maintain a solid connection and higher throughput even as you find yourself deep in buildings,brick homes,grocery stores,highways etc.

B41 LTE is the "Spark" and unless the legacy clearwire sites are converted I think 2014 will be quiet from the NSN crews.(there are 3 or 4 in the metro) However OKC and Tulsa should be on the deployment schedule earlier than Q4 2015;in fact I suspect we could see some action in Q1 2015 but that things won't ramp up until Q2. We won't have more solid data on our market and probably will not until we hear of B41 deployment on NV+ sites in more markets.

Good news for the Oklahoma market right now is that OKC has had several sites which have broadcast on 1x800 for testing and we may see those brought on in clusters to support live local traffic somewhat soon. Tulsa received the first officially accepted 3g/1x800 site just yesterday.

-Will

• Like 2

Absolutely get a device to support the coming bands. This year Oklahoma will get band 26 which is the "800"MHz SMR LTE that will give you more ubiquitis coverage and allow you to maintain a solid connection and higher throughput even as you find yourself deep in buildings,brick homes,grocery stores,highways etc.

B41 LTE is the "Spark" and unless the legacy clearwire sites are converted I think 2014 will be quiet from the NSN crews.(there are 3 or 4 in the metro) However OKC and Tulsa should be on the deployment schedule earlier than Q4 2015;in fact I suspect we could see some action in Q1 2015 but that things won't ramp up until Q2. We won't have more solid data on our market and probably will not until we hear of B41 deployment on NV+ sites in more markets.

Good news for the Oklahoma market right now is that OKC has had several sites which have broadcast on 1x800 for testing and we may see those brought on in clusters to support live local traffic somewhat soon. Tulsa received the first officially accepted 3g/1x800 site just yesterday.

-Will

No way!

I just noticed that the site is the same one I first saw NV begin with way back when.

Thats great!

Thanks Mobilesolutions.  We ended up getting LG G2s.  So far so good.  Radio seems about 100x better than the EVO LTEs we had.

If you came from Evo LTE's I expect you will absolutely love the G2 for LTE even before spark and band 26. The evo lte was one of the worst devices for rf performance.

Thanks Mobilesolutions.  We ended up getting LG G2s.  So far so good.  Radio seems about 100x better than the EVO LTEs we had.

I think you'll like them, If you have issues or questions post up!

If you came from Evo LTE's I expect you will absolutely love the G2 for LTE even before spark and band 26. The evo lte was one of the worst devices for rf performance.

The EVO and the G-nex  :td:  The tri-band phones are a mile ahead! :2tu:

I'm just sad it can't do simultaneous voice and date like the EVO LTE. Will that ever work once technology updates are done?

I suspect it will return with volte. Some devices have nascent volte capabilities too (not sure on G2) so there is some hope.