Iden Thinning team,
Last night, we took the last of our 9700 IDEN cell sites off air in our IDEN Thinning project. Today, we celebrate our accomplishment of delivering an on-time, significant OPEX savings to Sprint. Exactly how much savings? Well don't quote me on this, but if you estimate the per site cost of Power ($3000), Telco ($300) and Rent ($2500), that's a savings of $5800 monthly / $69,600 annually. For 9700 cell sites, that's an annual savings of $675,120,000. You should feel proud that you are part of helping Sprint to achieve this goal.
While we know that IDEN shutdown is the best financial decision for Sprint, it is a bittersweet moment for many of us who helped build the IDEN network. You may remember the day that the first nationwide coast-to-coast IDEN Direct Connect call was made (and $20 to you if you can remember where it was made from and to… Irvine to Boston?). And I'd bet that some of you still answer affirmative questions with the response of "10-4." These experiences have helped us to build a strong Sprint.
While the Thinning portion of the project is complete, we need to continue delivering on the following Thinning items:
- Power Down of 9700 cell sites - this is where those OPEX savings start adding up, and we need to deliver them on time. Our FSO Ops team has already powered off 4153 cell sites. The Power and Energy team has already turned off commercial power to 993 sites.
- RF Optimization - continuing to optimize Urban after sites have been Thinned.
- BDA Reorients - we're close to wrapping up 983 BDA's that have been successfully repointed to non-Thinned sites. This was a last minute addition to the project with only 2 weeks to plan for it.
- Cell Site Restorals - Sprint did not want us to put Thinned sites back on air post-Thinning. Well, some IDEN customers want their Push To Talk, and we're up to 92 Thinned cell sites back on air.
- IDEN Decom of 9700 sites - while this work was awarded to other vendors, we need to count the work that we do to support it.
Great job everyone!
Edited by S4GRU, 17 July 2012 - 02:43 PM.
Edited for readability