Pattern of bad connections to legacy network sites with LTE phones?

I don't yet have an LTE-capable phone because I am keeping my powder dry for the moment. But I have been watching several forums lately, and notice an unexplained pattern:

Some end users of the EVO 4G LTE and Galaxy S III -- and I emphasize some -- report anecdotally what is typically described as "poor signal" when connecting to the legacy Sprint network They generally say that a certain location they used to get good connections and displayed "bars" on their previous handsets, but the LTE-capable models show weak signal and might even kick into roaming mode.

Of course, this leads to some angry comments that "this phone radio sucks," etc. But I am not at all convinced that the antennas or radio sensitivity on these new phones are really the root cause, but rather suspect some interaction between the handsets and the network -- which may be running side-by-side with the NV network under construction. I am wondering what might account for this. For example, in certain areas could the phones not be playing well with a developmental NV tower whose signal is being broadcast but blocked, so the phone can't lock onto the legacy tower base station that it should be using? Or even being fooled by eHRPD upgrades as Robert suggests in this case.

Sprint surely is aware of these issues, but publicly is not saying much.

Note that this is a different case from the EVO 4G LTE anomaly reported here involving faulty connections to a live LTE test site. The case I am talking about is that of LTE-capable phones with bad connections to a legacy site.

Ideas? What should such users do to isolate and troubleshoot the problem?

I am planning a radio performance comparison article between three new LTE devices and three WiMax devices being tested in various strong signal and mid signal and edge of service conditions.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 8

Another naive theory: Could it simply be that in cases where the new NV network is installed side-by-side with the legacy network, blasting away but being blocked, the NV signal (or at least its pilot channel) is interference that clobbers the Ec/Io of the legacy tower?

Another naive theory: Could it simply be that in cases where the new NV network is installed side-by-side with the legacy network, blasting away but being blocked, the NV signal (or at least its pilot channel) is interference that clobbers the Ec/Io of the legacy tower?

Once a site has upgraded 3G equipment, the legacy equipment is turned off. The only thing being blocked from what I've read here is LTE, not 3G/EVDO.

I don't yet have an LTE-capable phone because I am keeping my powder dry for the moment. But I have been watching several forums lately, and notice an unexplained pattern:

Some end users of the EVO 4G LTE and Galaxy S III -- and I emphasize some -- report anecdotally what is typically described as "poor signal" when connecting to the legacy Sprint network They generally say that a certain location they used to get good connections and displayed "bars" on their previous handsets, but the LTE-capable models show weak signal and might even kick into roaming mode.

Of course, this leads to some angry comments that "this phone radio sucks," etc. But I am not at all convinced that the antennas or radio sensitivity on these new phones are really the root cause, but rather suspect some interaction between the handsets and the network -- which may be running side-by-side with the NV network under construction. I am wondering what might account for this. For example, in certain areas could the phones not be playing well with a developmental NV tower whose signal is being broadcast but blocked, so the phone can't lock onto the legacy tower base station that it should be using? Or even being fooled by eHRPD upgrades as Robert suggests in this case.

Sprint surely is aware of these issues, but publicly is not saying much.

Note that this is a different case from the EVO 4G LTE anomaly reported here involving faulty connections to a live LTE test site. The case I am talking about is that of LTE-capable phones with bad connections to a legacy site.

Ideas? What should such users do to isolate and troubleshoot the problem?

I'm actually experiencing that on my EVO LTE it constantly loses signal then roams all day when I normally would have full signal. I'm missing phone calls and text messages too. I think it has something to do with the radio in the new EVO because everyone that I know that has one is talking about the same problems. I can't even call out all the time, I have to restart my device a lot just to make and receive calls. Its so sad because the phone is awesome and when it does work on 3G its much faster than my old EVO 3D.

I noticed that as well on my Gnex. I was out for a drive this morning, and noticed poor signal in places that my Epic Touch would be fine. I'm referring to real dB differences.

Hopefully it's a fluke.

I noticed that as well on my Gnex. I was out for a drive this morning' date=' and noticed poor signal in places that my Epic Touch would be fine. I'm referring to real dB differences.

Hopefully it's a fluke.[/quote']

I don't think it's a fluke. That's my observation as well. :(

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I have generally the same service with my EVO LTE as I did with my Of EVO. I'm in San Antonio, maybe its a region specific issue? 3g speeds are faster than my wife's epic touch 4g.