Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

How about standard dBm units instead of "bars," which can vary among products?

On my Epic 4G, the "bars" display corresponds to the following levels:

• 0 bars = -106 dBm
  • 1 bar = -101 dBm
  • 2 bars = -96 dBm
  • 3 bars = -91 dBm
  • 4 bars = -86 dBm
  • 5 bars = -76 dBm
  • 6 bars = -65 dBm

What are the equivalent levels on your Galaxy S III?

I have 6 bars right now -70 dBm 16 asu

Cancelled my online BB preorder. Best buy still treats online preorders with lowest priority. Ill take my chances finding one in store next week or just wait for the next big thing

What is the signal dbm? Bars are irrelevant.

1bar -101dbm

2bar -97dbm

This is what I have been averaging all day inside work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

1bar -101dbm

2bar -97dbm

This is what I have been averaging all day inside work.

And your old Epic 4G was typically 3 bars or better in the same location? (That would correspond to -91 dBm or better on my reference scale.)

If that is so, it's hard to swallow the new GS3's antenna underperforming the antenna on its own grandfather phone by about 10 dB. (The antenna output is what you theoretically are measuring so far, assuming no change in the Sprint network's RF performance.)

I really do hope that when Robert gets his unit, he will follow through with his suggestion to do some controlled comparison tests. I also hope for something that puts the phones through end-to-end performance testing of some kind, not just antenna output readings, that exercises the Tx/Rx functionality of the radio.

Speaking of Best Buy, is the S3 in stores?

Not for selling but at least to look at it and feel it. Or does one have to wait till next week.

I want to see both the HTC EVo LTE and the S3 and get a feel of them side by side.

TS

And your old Epic 4G was typically 3 bars or better in the same location? (That would correspond to -91 dBm or better on my reference scale.)

If that is so' date=' it's hard to swallow the new GS3's antenna underperforming the antenna on its own grandfather phone by about 10 dB. (The antenna output is what you theoretically are measuring so far, assuming no change in the Sprint network's RF performance.)

I really do hope that when Robert gets his unit, he will follow through with his suggestion to do some controlled comparison tests. I also hope for something that puts the phones through end-to-end performance testing of some kind, not just antenna output readings, that exercises the Tx/Rx functionality of the radio.[/quote']

I dont know about under performing......I work for the Home Depot....and those buildings are cellular signal black holes. The antenna performs amazingly everywhere else.

I dont know about under performing......I work for the Home Depot....and those buildings are cellular signal black holes. The antenna performs amazingly everywhere else.

Oh, so Sprint gives you that nice 25% discount, too.

• Like 2

I'll be sure to do signal tests (including phone calls to *2) when I get my SIII, comparing it to my Epic. Between my apartment (a few hundred yards away from a rooftop cell site) and the Coors tasting room (a near-dead zone for at least Sprint and T-Mobile), I should be able to get a few nice data points :)

• Like 1

I wonder why the signal is lower at your house... are the dBm readings you put down the RSSI? Are both phones connecting to the same tower?

I'm thinking that it is possible that the GS3 radios are able to "see" another tower with a better signal to noise ratio. It might connect to that tower, even if the signal strength is lower, as it might be a more useful connection because the ec/io is lower. Just spitballing.

I wonder why the signal is lower at your house... are the dBm readings you put down the RSSI? Are both phones connecting to the same tower?

I'm thinking that it is possible that the GS3 radios are able to "see" another tower with a better signal to noise ratio. It might connect to that tower' date=' even if the signal strength is lower, as it might be a more useful connection because the ec/io is lower. Just spitballing.[/quote']

Netmonitor or open signal would be an easy way to see what tower you are connecting to on each device

Sent from my CM9 Epic 4g Touch using Forum Runner

One thing to consider when digesting these dBm readings is that the antenna output being measured is the Rx level from the legacy 3G/CDMA network. The device has a separate antenna configuration for LTE use, with two Rx antennas, that no one is able to test today. I think I recall reports here on S4GRU that the EVO LTE model, which has its own separate, LTE-specific antenna layout, also showed some unexplained weakness in initial Rx measurements using the legacy network.

So maybe this generation of LTE-enabled Sprint handsets is optimized for the next-generation NV Sprint network, rather than for the network we are all using today.

• Like 3

One thing to consider when digesting these dBm readings is that the antenna output being measured is the Rx level from the legacy 3G/CDMA network. The device has a separate antenna configuration for LTE use' date=' with two Rx antennas, that no one is able to test today. I think I recall reports here on S4GRU that the EVO LTE model, which has its own separate, LTE-specific antenna layout, also showed some unexplained weakness in initial Rx measurements using the legacy network.

So maybe this generation of LTE-enabled Sprint handsets is optimized for the next-generation NV Sprint network, rather than for the network we are all using today.[/quote']

This is a great point. I was using CDMA only. I will switch and try it a different way on Monday. I just assumed that the CDMA/LTE radio would drain the battery quicker because it would always be searching for an LTE signal....

This is a great point. I was using CDMA only. I will switch and try it a different way on Monday. I just assumed that the CDMA/LTE radio would drain the battery quicker because it would always be searching for an LTE signal....

This is probably beyond your control right now. I don't think you will be able to test the LTE downlink strength until after Sprint turns it on in your area. With few exceptions, even the LTE sites that are finished are still being blocked.

This is probably beyond your control right now. I don't think you will be able to test the LTE downlink strength until after Sprint turns it on in your area. With few exceptions' date=' even the LTE sites that are finished are still being blocked.[/quote']

I know this. I'm going to try updating my PRL and profile at home instead of work.....for some reason that seemed to help with my OG EPIC.

And I always have full signal at home........thank you AirRave......

Sent from my Xoom using Forum Runner

One thing to consider when digesting these dBm readings is that the antenna output being measured is the Rx level from the legacy 3G/CDMA network. The device has a separate antenna configuration for LTE use' date=' with two Rx antennas, that no one is able to test today. I think I recall reports here on S4GRU that the EVO LTE model, which has its own separate, LTE-specific antenna layout, also showed some unexplained weakness in initial Rx measurements using the legacy network.

So maybe this generation of LTE-enabled Sprint handsets is optimized for the next-generation NV Sprint network, rather than for the network we are all using today.[/quote']

Great observation

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

• Like 2

How I wish Sprint would send my handset !

I have all accessories and no phone.

I frown at Samsung for this!

They knew this would happen!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

I wish I had the forward thinking to buy accessories for this phone beforehand like you. After going to 3 different sprint stores today, I am now the proud owner of a Pebble Blue Body Glove case and a White GSIII....

One thing to consider when digesting these dBm readings is that the antenna output being measured is the Rx level from the legacy 3G/CDMA network. The device has a separate antenna configuration for LTE use, with two Rx antennas, that no one is able to test today. I think I recall reports here on S4GRU that the EVO LTE model, which has its own separate, LTE-specific antenna layout, also showed some unexplained weakness in initial Rx measurements using the legacy network.

So maybe this generation of LTE-enabled Sprint handsets is optimized for the next-generation NV Sprint network, rather than for the network we are all using today.

Great observation

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Sorry for the slightly off topic and probably previously answered question but, what is(are) the advantage(s) of of the dual Rx antennas we're seeing in the new Sprint phones?

• Like 1

Sorry for the slightly off topic and probably previously answered question but, what is(are) the advantage(s) of of the dual Rx antennas we're seeing in the new Sprint phones?

I frankly don't know. The serious RF engineering stuff is over my head. But it is not over the head of some veterans on this forum.

• Like 2

2x2 downlink MIMO
  • Like 1

Faster downloads as it is 2 download links working in tandem

Well, not quite that simple... It uses the 2 antennas as an array, improving the spectral efficiency and/or reliability of the connection.

• Like 1

Faster downloads as it is 2 download links working in tandem

Well, not quite that simple... It uses the 2 antennas as an array, improving the spectral efficiency and/or reliability of the connection.

I like the sound of that! Thanks, Man!

• Like 1