Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Stop it, you folks are making me jealous. I'm starting to get that "I need a new device every 5 minutes" syndrome and these posts are not helping. aarrgghhhh

must.... resist.......

btw, Congrats to all those that pre-ordered and are getting the S3,

• Like 6

Even since I got an iPhone, I no longer anticipate every new Android device, because it "just works" and does everything I need.

:P :P :P

Might get the GSIII anyway though

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop it, you folks are making me jealous. I'm starting to get that "I need a new device every 5 minutes" syndrome and these posts are not helping. aarrgghhhh

must.... resist.......

btw, Congrats to all those that pre-ordered and are getting the S3,

I had a slight case of that, a look at the checkbook cleared it right up LOL.

• Like 5

From http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/tech/mobile/wired-review-samsung-galaxy/index.html?hpt=hp_c2:

The ability to create folders on the S III is also needlessly complicated. In Google's unaltered version of Android 4, a folder is created whenever two app icons are dragged on top of one another. On the S III, you have to hold your finger on the screen, tap "Add to Home screen" from a pop-up menu, select the "Folder" option, then drag your apps in.

Samsung has also needlessly altered Google's built-in Android features. Google has developed an Android-to-Android sharing system called

Android Beam

that allows two NFC-equipped Android phones to share files when the two devices are tapped together. The S III arrives with that feature intact, but Samsung also has added its own NFC sharing system called S Beam, which does the same thing, but only works with Galaxy S III phones.

The most I could get S Voice to do was say, "Hi, nice to meet you," when I said, "Hi, Galaxy," to either phone. If I said, "Hello, Galaxy," it would respond with, "I'm not sure what you mean by 'Hello Galaxy.'" Every other request or command I spoke to S Voice was met with, "Network error. Please try again," on both handsets, despite seeing full service bars and being connected to Wi-Fi.

The screen uses a

PenTile

subpixel arrangement that unfortunately results in discernible pixels and a jagged look that falls short of the screens found on the iPhone 4S and the One X.

From http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c2:

The ability to create folders on the S III is also needlessly complicated. In Google's unaltered version of Android 4, a folder is created whenever two app icons are dragged on top of one another. On the S III, you have to hold your finger on the screen, tap "Add to Home screen" from a pop-up menu, select the "Folder" option, then drag your apps in.

Samsung has also needlessly altered Google's built-in Android features. Google has developed an Android-to-Android sharing system called

Android Beam

that allows two NFC-equipped Android phones to share files when the two devices are tapped together. The S III arrives with that feature intact, but Samsung also has added its own NFC sharing system called S Beam, which does the same thing, but only works with Galaxy S III phones.

The most I could get S Voice to do was say, "Hi, nice to meet you," when I said, "Hi, Galaxy," to either phone. If I said, "Hello, Galaxy," it would respond with, "I'm not sure what you mean by 'Hello Galaxy.'" Every other request or command I spoke to S Voice was met with, "Network error. Please try again," on both handsets, despite seeing full service bars and being connected to Wi-Fi.

The screen uses a

PenTile

subpixel arrangement that unfortunately results in discernible pixels and a jagged look that falls short of the screens found on the iPhone 4S and the One X.

Come on Samsung, I thought it was going to be a great thing when they hired Cyanogen... guess not. Any E4GT owners want a port of the GS3 touchwiz? :td:

Edited by pyroscott
I was corrected by jefbal99 (thanks) that it was Cyanogen and not Koush

Come on Samsung' date=' I thought it was going to be a great thing when they hired Koush... guess not. Any E4GT owners want a port of the GS3 touchwiz? :td:[/quote']

I thought samsung hired cyanogen, not koush

Sent from my CM9 Transformer TF101 using Forum Runner

From http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c2:

Android Beam

The screen uses a

PenTile

If I recall correctly, S Beam has a superset of Android Beam's functinoality, and Android Beam is still included in the device, correct? Isn't Android Beam NFC-only (slow) but S Beam also uses WiFi Direct?

As for the folder-creation issue, Samsung obviously hasn't upgraded its TouchWiz UI to take advantage of ICS's features. THe solution: get a different launcher. Most of my time using my Epic 4G was spent using LauncherPro, which I like better than any other Android launcher I've seen so far. Gotta love Android customization opportunities.

As for PenTile "jaggies", we're talking about a phone with a larger display than either of the two phones the author mentioned, but wiith the same 720p resolution. It should come as no surprise that the pixels are bigger. As for PenTile itself, it's the price you pay for brighter colors and deeper blacks on most AMOLED phone displays (color reproduction on the One X still isn't as yummy as on an AMOLED handset, correct?).

Okay, maybe I'm coming down on the reviewer a bit too harshly. However calling colors "too saturated" seems odd...if you want lower saturation, you can grey things out a bit, but you can't ad saturation to a comparatively duller screen. On the body side, Samsung didn't feel like getting sued by Apple yet again for something that looks remotely like the iphone...one of the big tech outlets wrote an article on this. Funny how Wired didn't notice. I kind of wonder what they were looking for with "flagship styling" anyway...probably something that looked like an oversized iPhone? :P As for the nitpick about a dual-core CPU on the phone, I'd rather have a dual-core CPU and LTE than a quad-core and HSPA+...because with LTE I can use the phone on Sprint :)

I thought samsung hired cyanogen, not koush

Sent from my CM9 Transformer TF101 using Forum Runner

You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking. It was Steve "Cyanogen" Kondik. Both are pioneers of development.

I love the cover for my folio Galaxy Note and always wondered why they don't make them for other phones, well boom, it seems that they did.

Samsung galaxy S3 Flip case

If I were to get the S3, I surely would get this for it.

TS

I just fell in love with that case!

• Like 1

Ouch.

Glad I got the Galaxy Nexus' date=' but to each his own. :)

Mav. :cool:[/quote']

Wow, I wonder if he is on HTC payroll or Apple's? Talk about down playing the strengths and accentuating the weaknesses. I will say that many times software in the OEM bloatware seems like it was 75% complete and just slapped on the phone without much testing and working out the bugs. They say they will fix it, but they lose interest.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Come on Samsung, I thought it was going to be a great thing when they hired Cyanogen... guess not. Any E4GT owners want a port of the GS3 touchwiz? :td:

Is there a complete port? I'm using the EGO ROM with S Voice at the moment

Roflmao ... my new favorite saying. Cant stop laughing... my childish sense of humor and vivid pictorial imagination.. whew.

Okay other forums are speculating the entire retail launch will be the 28th now? Its baffling to me why sprint would delay just selling what they have on hand and letting the 3rd parties sell theirs... part of the original evo's fable of greatness was how hard they were to find for weeks on end. Oh well, those bed sheets need changing again

• Like 1

Wow, I wonder if he is on HTC payroll or Apple's? Talk about down playing the strengths and accentuating the weaknesses. I will say that many times software in the OEM bloatware seems like it was 75% complete and just slapped on the phone without much testing and working out the bugs. They say they will fix it, but they lose interest.

I was thinking the same damn thing, I actually LOVE Samsung's GUI. I actually think HTC's is too busy....

• Like 2

Is there a complete port? I'm using the EGO ROM with S Voice at the moment

Oh, I don't know, I was joking around because that author made it sound like the worst OEM skin ever imagined

Oh, I don't know, I was joking around because that author made it sound like the worst OEM skin ever imagined

Dude has obviously never used first- or second-gen MOTOHANGOVR...er...MOTOBLUR.

• Like 1

YES!!!! On vehicle for delivery. Leaving work early!!!!!

This reminds me how I felt when the Best Buy guy said my Evo was ready for pickup. I couldn't think of anything else after that.

• Like 2