Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

It seems I'm getting 4g in spurts in the Plainfield/Joliet area. The speeds are not amazing, but it is a start. Kind of strange in that I thought I would see the ehrp before lte. RSRP -106 RSRQ -8 Don't know if that's good or bad, but that's the setting that was getting the higher speed test results.

The tower at lake ave and 294 in glenview (i will add tower number when I'm home) is giving me this... It is a 3g accepted site and since late July it was consistantly giving me und 50ms pings and and 1.5-2+ mbps down. This has been the new norm on this tower since Friday... Any ideas why?...for some reason I can't get to pic to upload on forum runner....but it is a ping over 1400ms and .1/mbps down and .02/mbps up

Stopped off in Joliet to grab a bite to eat and noticed I got my first 4G connection.

Ran a speedtest and got the following:

Ping: 63

Download: 19.737

Upload: 9.439

Now I'm really gonna be dying for this to go live back at my place in the city where I'm getting about 82k data connection speeds.

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

Edited by TrulyNotSoTweet
  • Like 2

Screenshot_2012-08-29-16-01-32.png

Hi I live in Elgin but work in schaumburg, I picked up a very strong 4g signal in Schaumburg by schaumburg rd and barrington rd.

I believe its testing thats going on because the other day the signal went back to 3g.

I hope they get it like this all around. I didn't know 37mbps was possible. That's the fastest speed I've seen for sprint LTE.

I hope they get it like this all around. I didn't know 37mbps was possible. That's the fastest speed I've seen for sprint LTE.

I hit 35Mbps-37Mbps several times in Waco this weekend.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 3

post-4598-0-36880700-1346704420_thumb.png

Hi I live in Elgin but work in schaumburg, I picked up a very strong 4g signal in Schaumburg by schaumburg rd and barrington rd.

I believe its testing thats going on because the other day the signal went back to 3g.

Nooooo!!!!! Wish I would've seen that eariler. I too live in Elgin and work in Schaumburg. I could've easily gone over in that direction to check this out. If you happen to get it again, please do post so I can trek over there and test it myself :)

It'd be awesome if folks that see LTE coverage could map it with Sensorly. I see a few dots in some south suburbs, but once there's more widespread coverage, it'd be nice to know where it's actually available, and this seems like a decent real-world solution.

Now that I know an app that will capture this I will happily- if you're around Joliet they have the towers live for quite a long stretch along 55 & 80- in fact I can see the towers which I confirmed a few with a tower signal location mapping app but it didn't have a screen capture function to show the mapped towers it was connecting to

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

Nooooo!!!!! Wish I would've seen that eariler. I too live in Elgin and work in Schaumburg. I could've easily gone over in that direction to check this out. If you happen to get it again, please do post so I can trek over there and test it myself :)

I drove by again today and picked up a signal again so give it a try, I was in the parking lot of the noodles and company. the speed is very fast but I imagine once everyone starts using it the speed will slow down some

It'd be awesome if folks that see LTE coverage could map it with Sensorly. I see a few dots in some south suburbs, but once there's more widespread coverage, it'd be nice to know where it's actually available, and this seems like a decent real-world solution.

Question about sensorly: Do they require a certain number of unique samples/phones in order to actually add results to the map? I've used it several times with 3G at my house and nothing has ever shown up on the map for Sprint 3G.

Question about sensorly: Do they require a certain number of unique samples/phones in order to actually add results to the map?
An area near my house had no WiMax coverage shown on the Sensorly map, so I purposely went through that part of my neighborhood with WiMax enabled on my phone, and the next day, that area showed WiMax coverage.

[/font][/color]An area near my house had no WiMax coverage shown on the Sensorly map, so I purposely went through that part of my neighborhood with WiMax enabled on my phone, and the next day, that area showed WiMax coverage.

Interesting. I've made sure GPS was working and everything. Wonder if you have to move a certain distance? Weird.

The tower at lake ave and 294 in glenview (i will add tower number when I'm home) is giving me this... It is a 3g accepted site and since late July it was consistantly giving me und 50ms pings and and 1.5-2+ mbps down. This has been the new norm on this tower since Friday... Any ideas why?...for some reason I can't get to pic to upload on forum runner....but it is a ping over 1400ms and .1/mbps down and .02/mbps up

This tower is CH03XC261. It happens to be a newly accepted 4G tower. i dont think its a coincidence at all that it was acting funny and now its 4G. i can confirm that i cant pick any 4G up with it on my evo LTE. i did the usual steps to try to force it to lock on and nothing.

I then went to Tower CH03XC249, another newly accepted 4G and didnt pick up any 4G as well. Obviously that could be for a number of reason. Most likely its being blocked. Just though I'd share...

I thought it was worth mentioning though while at CH03XC249 it said i was connected to EvDo rev.A instead of ehrpd. This is the first time i have not seen ehrpd in any north chicagoland location since early July. I thought that was interesting.

Question about sensorly: Do they require a certain number of unique samples/phones in order to actually add results to the map? I've used it several times with 3G at my house and nothing has ever shown up on the map for Sprint 3G.

Not in the Chicago area, but everywhere that I've gone mapping LTE in Kansas City it shows up right away.

Great work robert, love the site. Tinley Park, IL ( CH03XC740 ) looks like it has LTE. Going to have to go check it out this weekend. Anything you guys can recommend to do before getting a LTE signal, update the phone software, profile update, prl? I still have my evo lte with no updates since I purchased the phone.

Great work robert' date=' love the site. Tinley Park, IL ( CH03XC740 ) looks like it has LTE. Going to have to go check it out this weekend. Anything you guys can recommend to do before getting a LTE signal, update the phone software, profile update, prl? I still have my evo lte with no updates since I purchased the phone.[/quote']

Even after all the updates, if I wanted my EVO LTE to connect to LTE right away, I had to toggle airplane mode. It will connect on its own now after the latest OTA, but would usually take several minutes. And it was more likely to drop the signal as it got weaker.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I thought it was worth mentioning though while at CH03XC249 it said i was connected to EvDo rev.A instead of ehrpd. This is the first time i have not seen ehrpd in any north chicagoland location since early July. I thought that was interesting.

Ive been seeing this too. When Im at work in Carol Stream....none of the towers I connect to are on the map as being completed with NV upgrades....but Ive been getting eHRPD connection...at least ever since I got my GSIII on release date....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Ive been seeing this too. When Im at work in Carol Stream....none of the towers I connect to are on the map as being completed with NV upgrades....but Ive been getting eHRPD connection...at least ever since I got my GSIII on release date....

When you get an EVDO connection, does cycling through airplane mode restore it to eHRPD? Or does it stay on EVDO?

Robert

When you get an EVDO connection' date=' does cycling through airplane mode restore it to eHRPD? Or does it stay on EVDO?

Robert[/quote']

Stays in EVDO. This happened when I was able to get 4G in St. Charles as well....as soon as they took down the LTE signal, it went right back to EVDO. I never saw eHRPD.

But a tower that isnt listed as NV completed I get eHRPD all day long.

Stays in EVDO. This happened when I was able to get 4G in St. Charles as well....as soon as they took down the LTE signal, it went right back to EVDO. I never saw eHRPD.

But a tower that isnt listed as NV completed I get eHRPD all day long.

Sounds like eHRPD is down in your area. I wonder if the LTE is also down in the Chicago market? If so, it could be realted to the LTE core they are connected to.

Robert

Chicago Tribune this PM -- the Sprint PR crew seems to be on overdrive lately.

http://www.chicagotr...0,3787175.story

this is the first public statement by Sprint that confirms that Chicagoland is on the near-term road map for Sprint's LTE market launch... although I believe that Robert's schedule had estimated the market being elligible for "launch" sooner, maybe October. But that may have been a function of overall percentage of completion estimates based upon number of NV sites cut-over (40%-50%) but given how Chicago market is being rolled out, in waves from outside into the loop, perhaps this will push the actual official "launch" closer to end of year.

of course it could be that Azzi was simply sandbagging in the article (under-promise and hopefully over-deliver) given the difficulties that Samsung has had in the Chicago market in deploying NV.

• Like 2