EVO 4G LTE Funny Story - Walmart

tt0h

So, called around to all the BBs and corporate Sprint stores within 40 miles today to see if anyone might actually have stock on the EVO 4G LTE. Nobody had stock, and some hadn't even been able to provide stock to pre-order customers.

So, I was getting frustrated with the battery on my original EVO and decided to drive to Best Buy to get a replacement. Got to Best Buy and they had no stock on the battery - but they suggested I head over to the Walmart across the mall. I walked to the mobile phone dept at Walmart and was standing at the counter waiting to talk to a clerk when, amazingly, I looked down into their stock case and they had ONE EVO 4G LTE.

I immediately told the clerk "I want that" and she grabbed it out of the case. She wasn't even aware they had any stock on them at all. She proceeded to start the upgrade process for the phone and ran into a problem. She needed to use a phone to call Sprint, and the only phone she could do it from had a customer on it complaining to a T-Mobile rep about a phone that he had purchased at a T-Mobile store (not from Walmart). I patiently waited 20 minutes and the guy was still going at it with T-Mobile. The clerk apologized profusely, and I told her not to sweat it. Another 15 minutes goes by and I told the clerk that I was going to go shop for cases, etc. While doing that the manager walked by and profusely apologized and thanked me for waiting and handed me a $25 gift card for the hassle - which I definitely wasn't expecting. The guy finally left after a total of about 50 minutes and they finalized my order.

I've since called around to other Walmarts in the area and two of 5 had at least one EVO LTE in stock. Soo.. for those of you waiting to get your hands on an EVO LTE, you may want to start dialing Wally World to see if they might have stock - or even just walk in and check their case, because THEY may not even know they have it. The price for it here was $158 with contract extension.

Edited by tt0h
  • Like 9

Haven't seen Sprint in our local wally worlds. All I see is verizon, att, tmobile, and prepaid stuff. Funny little tid bit is ATT doesn't work inside that building and TMobile might work in the parking lot if you hold the phone in a certain manner :) not sure how they activate the phones and test them. I know I would feel all warm and fuzzy getting a brand new service and the rep tells me to go outside.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

I've since called around to other Walmarts in the area and two of 5 had at least one EVO LTE in stock. Soo.. for those of you waiting to get your hands on an EVO LTE, you may want to start dialing Wally World to see if they might have stock - or even just walk in and check their case, because THEY may not even know they have it. The price for it here was $158.

I was in Wal-Mart Sunday in Durham, NC and just happened to look out of curiosity. Their Sprint handset line-up was pretty ragged and, unfortunately, no new Evo 4G LTE's. I'll have to call a couple others around to see if any are floating around.

I can't even get a person who can transfer me to the cell phone department here in Massachusetts. I want this phone so bad!

Keep in mind that, if I had called them prior they likely wouldn't have told me they had it. The clerk, herself, wasn't aware they carried it until I told her I wanted it =p

Keep in mind that, if I had called them prior they likely wouldn't have told me they had it. The clerk, herself, wasn't aware they carried it until I told her I wanted it =p

Good point. I will take a trip up to my local walmart sometime today.

I can't even get a person who can transfer me to the cell phone department here in Massachusetts. I want this phone so bad!

Lmao! Well, That certainly sounds like Walmart!

• Like 1

As an update to my EVO 4G LTE experience..

My home/office is in the basement of my house. I got a new toy today, namely my phone, and was playing with settings in my office. My parents were visiting and were watching a movie upstairs on my Samsung LED TV. My family kept yelling downstairs to me that the TV upstairs kept changing volume- majorly. I was playing with my toy so didn't pay much attention to it.

I finally walked upstairs to look at it, with my phone playing tunes. Got upstairs and couldn't hear the phone for the volume on the TV, hit the UP volume rocker on the phone.. and nearly deafened everyone in my living room.

God, this phone is gonna be so much phun =p

This may end up being my new universal remote control as well as my phone! =p

• Like 1

As a further update...

My 3g download speed is massively better than on my original EVO - I was getting 60kbps on my original - I'm getting 619kbps on the E4GLTE. Upload speed is a tad better.. 8-10kbps better.

On a side note.. I called some family members on the new phone. My father actually asked me if I had gotten a new phone since I sounded better to him, significantly, than I had on my old EVO. And yes, he sounded better to me. Significantly better.

I need to also mention that I tend to wander while on the phone.. In the back yard, the living room, and into my office in the basement. I would, often, drop calls when I wandered into my basement office on my original EVO 4G.

Since I've picked up the E4GLTE I've not dropped one call during my wanderings. This could be due to the NV upgrades in my area - but I tend to believe it's a combination of the NV upgrades as well as the optimized radios in the new EVO. I could be wrong, but I'm not going to bitch either way.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love mine so far. The battery life has been vastly superior to my old school EVO. My reception seems to be doing better, too. Strangely enough, my 3g data speeds have increased in the last day or two also - not sure if they possibly did a NV update or what. Data speeds were really bad here the past couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine at CostCo online. Got it for $10.00 cheaper than Sprint store plus some extra accessories. I was going to buy it from Amazon, but they would only let me pick upgrading an existing set of lines.

David