AT&T Galaxy Note with LTE appears at FCC. Does this mean Sprint will also see a LTE Note?

pyroscott

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 22 January 2012

There was discussion about the possibility of Sprint releasing a Wimax Samsung Note as one of their last Wimax devices and also that it could be released as a tablet after Sprint came out and said they were done with Wimax. With the AT&T version getting LTE does this make it a given that if it is released for Sprint, it will get LTE? Will Sprint release it as a phone? And if it is released as a phone, will it be the best deal for mobile computing since it will essentially be a small tablet with unlimited data?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 23 January 2012

If Sprint does get it, it will have LTE and may come out when when the Galaxy Nexus does. Sprint appears to be allowing/making leaks & announcements to keep us satiated until this summer. I approve of this method since it appeared that Sprint was going to flip the switch and we would have to wait until this fall to get some devices. Sprint is still sticking with the 12 devices number for this year. If it can launch at least half of that number in the June timeframe, it will be a successful launch for the network and hardware.

I agree. If the Note appears at Sprint, I'm nearly certain it will be LTE. Since Sprint has gone through the trouble of telling everyone that they are no longer releasing WiMax devices, I think they will hold to that.

I also think that the early rumors I heard about the Note coming to Sprint were from pretty credible sources. A few less than credible sources ran with the story last week, but they weren't the original breakers of the story. They are just rehashing the story and adding Verizon to the suspected list of carriers.

I am very interested in the Note as my first Sprint LTE device. B)

- Robert

That's what I'd guess. $299. And I'd pay that if the GS3 wasn't out or coming out very soon. Otherwise, I'd may have to consider the GS3 over the Note.

True, if the GS3 comes out anytime near the note, it will likely take a lot of sales away from the Note. We haven't seen the specs for the Sprint bound Note (journal) though, but I don't know how much will change from the AT&T version. If the GS3 comes out with a quad core processor and big battery, the only thing the Note will have is a slightly bigger screen and that probably isn't good enough. There might be some interest in the Note as a mini tablet with unlimited LTE internet though.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 24 January 2012

If any of you guys gets this phone, please post a picture of yourself talking to someone one on it. I need to see something to get a sense of scale of what it looks like to hold a tablet to your ear.lol.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 24 January 2012

I also signed it, but it doesn't seem to have the support that the windows phone petition had. It hasn't received the publicity though.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 25 January 2012

I'm probably going to repost it. Will probably wait for a very slow news day in the next week or so.

I may be wrong in this, but I believe Sprint has to already have signed a deal with Samsung by now if they were to sell the Note/Journal. So any petition while helpful, may not be necessary. Either way I signed it as well a while back.

As for it being a LTE device only, due to the fact that Sprint has said that they will not issue anymore Wimax devices, I believe it when I see it. They said that statement yet they are offering the new 3G, 4G Wimax, 4G LTE hotspot coming soon as well. So it may be possible for them to pull a rabbit out of the hat and offer a multi-radio Note/Journal. At least I hope they will.

• Like 1

I may be wrong in this, but I believe Sprint has to already have signed a deal with Samsung by now if they were to sell the Note/Journal. So any petition while helpful, may not be necessary. Either way I signed it as well a while back.

As for it being a LTE device only, due to the fact that Sprint has said that they will not issue anymore Wimax devices, I believe it when I see it. They said that statement yet they are offering the new 3G, 4G Wimax, 4G LTE hotspot coming soon as well. So it may be possible for them to pull a rabbit out of the hat and offer a multi-radio Note/Journal. At least I hope they will.

I think you're right about the timing. If they haven't already made a deal with Samsung with the Note, it probably is too late. If they just now tried to work out a deal with Samsung to carry it, it would be pretty obsolete by the time it got to market.

However, if they did decide it was too late for getting this iteration of the Note, strong consumer demand illustrated in the petition, could get them to possibly carry a future Note like product perhaps based on the new upcoming GS3.

Thanks for your first comment here on S4GRU. I hope to see you around often.

- Robert

Let's say...Note with LTE. Release in early April. And I will pay big bucks.

If they wait until the end of summer...too late. GSIII will be out in many places around the world, and the Note will have antiquated specs. They really gotta get this thing out fast to make it work.

• Like 1

If they wait until the end of summer...too late. GSIII will be out in many places around the world, and the Note will have antiquated specs. They really gotta get this thing out fast to make it work.

Yeah I am totally with you on this.

The Android Strikes Back 4G

• 2 weeks later...

Completely agree, April also fits perfectly with a 2 month exclusive ATT would have had with the device. Perhaps April 15th?

Completely agree, April also fits perfectly with a 2 month exclusive ATT would have had with the device. Perhaps April 15th?

Could tax day also be "Sprint flood the market with LTE phones" day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still think that Sprint will release the Galaxy Note around the end of May/June only because historically for the last few years (5 to be exact) the months in which Sprint deploys phones has been May/June and Sept/Oct. Although I wouldn't doubt April would be a good month to deploy it. But as mentioned above, it may cut into the Nexus profits, so I figure April for Nexus and May/June for Note.

This should also fall in line with the 1st round of Network Vision being up and running in some areas (as per s4gru) ;)

Edited by davianny
  • Like 1

If anyone has any hard information on when these quad-core chips are done with testing/development for LTE and will hit the market, that will be an indicator when a lot of these new devices will hit the market. From what I've read, late summer is in the ball park although June/July may work as well but I'm not too hopeful on that prediction.

If anyone has any hard information on when these quad-core chips are done with testing/development for LTE and will hit the market, that will be an indicator when a lot of these new devices will hit the market. From what I've read, late summer is in the ball park although June/July may work as well but I'm not too hopeful on that prediction.

Won't be Qualcomm quad then. Likely their MSM quad won't be out till next year or end of this as it wasn't on the roadmap, only the APQ one which has no cell basebands and would need to be paired with an MDM chip to work now....least that's what Ive gathered...

The Samsung quad supposedly 32nm supposed to be ready this yr sometime I think...

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1