Micro sd card Do I really need a class 10 card for my evo 4g lte

meatman1964

I want to get a new micro sd card for my evo 4g lte. The question is do I really need a class 10 card for shooting 1080p video, and using the fast shooting camera, or will a class 4 card do the job?

I want to get a new micro sd card for my evo 4g lte. The question is do I really need a class 10 card for shooting 1080p video, and using the fast shooting camera, or will a class 4 card do the job?

That's actually a pretty complicated question.

People have done a lot of reviews on different MicroSD cards. A lot of class 10 cards were designed for pure read/write speeds but smaller random read/write performance suffered.

The Sandisk class 4 32gb microSD card is a safe bet, and at about 22-25 bucks, it's a very good deal.

My next recommendation is the Samsung Class 10 32gb at about 35 bucks.

You can also go 64GB - those will also work.

• Like 1

People have done a lot of reviews on different MicroSD cards. A lot of class 10 cards were designed for pure read/write speeds but smaller random read/write performance suffered.

The Sandisk class 4 32gb microSD card is a safe bet, and at about 22-25 bucks, it's a very good deal.

My next recommendation is the Samsung Class 10 32gb at about 35 bucks.

You can also go 64GB - those will also work.

I would have guessed that if your goal is to shoot HD video you would want the fastest card you can afford however if they data rate that the phone is writing to the card does not exceed the class speed then you should be good.

I am guessing that the question is what class will meet the requirements of the HD recording. I would check my phone's manual for their recommendation or call Sprint (don't go to the store, many times they don't know) and see what they say, they might just pull up the manual anyway.

I got a Class 6 16GB SanDisk MicroSD card from Costco for $20, and the performance on it is great for storage and accessing the few apps that allow me to transfer them to the SD card.

I would guess that unless you can direct the camera app to spool video to the sd card instead of the internal /sdcard partition of on-board storage then it won't matter. Do we know if it can do that??

Class will only matter for file transfer times if we can't.

Depends on the bandwidth of the video that the camera shoots at. I would probably think the phone would shoot at 10Mbps for 1080p video. A cheap class 2 (minimum of 16Mbps write) card should be able to keep up with that. Might want to get a class 4 just to be safe though.

One other thing to bear in mind is that larger-capacity cards tend to be slower than smaller-capacity cards of the same class (the class numbers are minimum standards). But unless you're using the card for something more complex than media storage - for example, if you were putting it in an OG Evo 4G and using it for apps (or using it for cache or swap on a custom ROM) - any name-brand card should be sufficient.

I think sense camera app allows you to select the internal storage(fake sdcard) or external storage(real sdcard).

Cool, thanks!

In that case, the fastest card affordable makes the most sense in my opinion.

Not only to allow for updates to the bit rate for the camera app, but also to decrease time required to offload the videos to a PC via USB.

Well I finally decided to go with a samsung class 10 card. The price difference between the cards was what finally tipped the balance.

It wasn't much more $$ for a class 10 32gb card in comparision to a class 4.

The decreased time to transfer videos also was a plus.

Hopefully my card will be delivered before the phone