Samsung Galaxy S III Launch event

Odell

For me it's not even worth getting too excited about the Galaxy S3.... yet. Why? Because this is Sprint we're talking about. Do you REALLY think the chipset will be the ONLY change to the Sprint S3 vs. International?

Obviously just look at the International HTC One X Vs Evo LTE. We simply can't trust that we know what exactly we're going to get.

Now, that can either be good or bad. Only time will tell.

P.S. Everyone laughs at minor things like Beats Audio until two devices are so alike that it now becomes a consideration.

Now' date=' that can either be good or bad. Only time will tell.

[/quote']

Exactly. The EVO LTE is equal or superior to its brother it morphed from. In this case, it was good.

I hope that the Sprint version of the GSIII is equal or superior in every way to the original. Anyone want to guess a name yet? Epic LTE TouchMe? :lol:

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

For me it's not even worth getting too excited about the Galaxy S3.... yet. Why? Because this is Sprint we're talking about. Do you REALLY think the chipset will be the ONLY change to the Sprint S3 vs. International?

Obviously just look at the International HTC One X Vs Evo LTE. We simply can't trust that we know what exactly we're going to get.

Now, that can either be good or bad. Only time will tell.

P.S. Everyone laughs at minor things like Beats Audio until two devices are so alike that it now becomes a consideration.

When it comes to "gimping" phones verizon is the one that is usually guilty as charged not sprint.

• Like 1

When it comes to "gimping" phones verizon is the one that is usually guilty as charged not sprint.

The question remains: Do you REALLY think the chipset will be the ONLY change to the Sprint S3 vs. International?

The question remains: Do you REALLY think the chipset will be the ONLY change to the Sprint S3 vs. International?

Well just like with the majority of same model phones that are released on att/sprint/verizon/tmobile, there is usually a cosmetic difference between models so each carrier can distinguish themselves from the competition. So IMO I think its very naive to think that the U.S. version of the s3 will look exactly like the international version.

• Like 2

Exactly. The EVO LTE is equal or superior to its brother it morphed from. In this case, it was good.

I hope that the Sprint version of the GSIII is equal or superior in every way to the original. Anyone want to guess a name yet? Epic LTE TouchMe? :lol:

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

You mean the Samsung Galaxy S III Epic 4G LTE Touch 2?

B)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

benchmarks are done for a reason, and once again Samsung outdoes HTC, by EPIC MILES IN EVERY AREA...12mp rear camera, 2mp front, EXYNOS quadcore processor confirmed fixed and U.S LTE compatible, pentile screen really a bad thing when held side by side as the gs3 display STILL shames ltevo...the only plus to evo is the kickstand it has that its gonna need to stand in the same Galaxy as gs3. was at unpacked event in London, and have had major phone wood ever since...nevermind ltevos aluminum shell that will aid in overheating that irremovable battery vs. gs3 space shuttle like ceramic casing to keep it cooler...cant wait to buy my gs3

benchmarks are done for a reason, and once again Samsung outdoes HTC, by EPIC MILES IN EVERY AREA...12mp rear camera, 2mp front, EXYNOS quadcore processor confirmed fixed and U.S LTE compatible, pentile screen really a bad thing when held side by side as the gs3 display STILL shames ltevo...the only plus to evo is the kickstand it has that its gonna need to stand in the same Galaxy as gs3. was at unpacked event in London, and have had major phone wood ever since...nevermind ltevos aluminum shell that will aid in overheating that irremovable battery vs. gs3 space shuttle like ceramic casing to keep it cooler...cant wait to buy my gs3

All of this may very well be true until you decide to make a phone call. There have been so many reported Galaxy/Samsung radio GPS problems that I say let the buyer beware. Look at that drama with Verizon, and Sprint radio issues. CDMA and Samsung don't mix well for some reason......looks good but dropped calls due to poor signal connectivity makes it just a multimedia device!

Can you provide sources for those specs? Everywhere I look the specs are lower than what you are saying.

The VZW version tested has dual core Snapdragon S4 MSM8960 according to PDADB.http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=3533&c=samsung_sch-i535_galaxy_s3

All of this may very well be true until you decide to make a phone call. There have been so many reported Galaxy/Samsung radio GPS problems that I say let the buyer beware. Look at that drama with Verizon, and Sprint radio issues. CDMA and Samsung don't mix well for some reason......looks good but dropped calls due to poor signal connectivity makes it just a multimedia device!

Been with the galaxy series since the OG EPIC 4G spanked the Evo, my GS2 hasn't dropped one call in the year I've owned it...just sayin.

Can you provide sources for those specs? Everywhere I look the specs are lower than what you are saying.

Android Authority magazines review of the U.S. Version. The notes that were recently given to the presenters of the gs3 for the Unpacked New York event, Google the device, orders for factory unlocked version began shipping today, TO AMERICAN ADDRESSES. The fact that I have held both the international and the U.S versions in my hand...I have nothing to prove, Samsung has had the #1 handheld device for the past 2 years, both coincidentally Galaxy series, and will most likely hold fast to that claim again this year, with, yep the newest Galaxy

Been with the galaxy series since the OG EPIC 4G spanked the Evo, my GS2 hasn't dropped one call in the year I've owned it...just sayin.

Wow....does the fact that You haven't had any issues take away from what has been reported by many thread's of complaints on tech sites. Not to mention many Tech sites reviews state that there is a reception issue with Samsung phones. Be realistic please....I posted a truthful factual occurrence, and if you research I think you will find I speak the truth. The 4.04 upgrade is suppose to fix these little bugs and, I am sure Sprint's connectivity issue is solved or in the works!

http://www.androidauthority.com/sprint-galaxy-nexus-receiving-important-update-connectivity-issues-begone-81201/

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-significant-signal-issues-arise-20111216/

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/756662

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/smartphones-2/sprints-galaxy-nexus-users-reporting-data-connectivity-issues-fix-already-in-the-works/

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Wow....does the fact that You haven't had any issues take away from what has been reported by many thread's of complaints on tech sites. Not to mention many Tech sites reviews state that there is a reception issue with Samsung phones. Be realistic please....I posted a truthful factual occurrence, and if you research I think you will find I speak the truth. The 4.04 upgrade is suppose to fix these little bugs and, I am sure Sprint's connectivity issue is solved or in the works!

http://www.androidau...s-begone-81201/

http://androidcommun...arise-20111216/

https://community.ve...m/thread/756662

http://androidandme....y-in-the-works/

In defense of thirdcoast, he simply stated that he has had no dropped calls. He didn't mention anything about data connectivity and all the posted links were reference a data connectivity issue not voice calls.

No, one person's experience does not negate the experience of a group of others, but in the same manner the vocal group of those with problems doesn't negate the experience of the group who are having no problems. thirdcoast's lack of issues with dropped calls is also a truthful, factual occurence, in his context.

Once the new Galaxy comes out we'll know soon enough if it is really the device it's purported to be. I am excited to see it but I wish I could get a more concrete idea of when it is expected to launch. I am torn between the new Evo and the new Galaxy.

Android Authority magazines review of the U.S. Version. The notes that were recently given to the presenters of the gs3 for the Unpacked New York event, Google the device, orders for factory unlocked version began shipping today, TO AMERICAN ADDRESSES. The fact that I have held both the international and the U.S versions in my hand...I have nothing to prove, Samsung has had the #1 handheld device for the past 2 years, both coincidentally Galaxy series, and will most likely hold fast to that claim again this year, with, yep the newest Galaxy

Ok. Any links?

In defense of thirdcoast, he simply stated that he has had no dropped calls. He didn't mention anything about data connectivity and all the posted links were reference a data connectivity issue not voice calls.

No, one person's experience does not negate the experience of a group of others, but in the same manner the vocal group of those with problems doesn't negate the experience of the group who are having no problems. thirdcoast's lack of issues with dropped calls is also a truthful, factual occurence, in his context.

Once the new Galaxy comes out we'll know soon enough if it is really the device it's purported to be. I am excited to see it but I wish I could get a more concrete idea of when it is expected to launch. I am torn between the new Evo and the new Galaxy.

The context of my OP was about the many reported GPS issues, and connectivity that the Samsung variant phones seems to be plagued with; which can lead to dropped calls focusing on the connectivity to CDMA. However; I do agree about him not having any issues not being negated by the claims of issues. The Verizon link has complaints of dropped calls, and I could post many more links that reference that but I don't feel the need. The complaints are so wide spread that even if people report no issues the many complaints and admitted Carrier address fix's cloud the user experience from Samsung for pretty much every CDMA phone that they have sold I have found. If Samsung had great radios they probably rule smart phones no doubt!

I agree about the challenge of deciding which phone and about him not having any issues being negated by the claims of issues, but I think I may go with the EVO, or try to hold for a Galaxy Nexus 3 "if" there are no connectivity issues! I'd like to see what Moto has to offer as well.

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

Correct I never negated the issue exists, I can tell you that its not necessarily radio related. Followed your links, and if you dig a little deeper you discover that Verizon had the majority of those claims followed closely by AT&T. Go a little deeper and discover that Sprint while has had numerous reports of LOS concerning Samsung devices, had reports equal to and some greater than those of Samsung devices on the same days from HTC , Motorola and LG. You will also notice that those reports came in areas and times where 4G service was being initiated and now again as the LTE towers go live. Same is true for AT&T. Verizon is ONLY carrier that has/had unexplained issues and well, their service just sucks anyway.

As for Samsung ruling the phone market...might wanna research that as well, as for past 2 years and so far in 2012, more Samsung phones than any other manufacturer, including Crapple have been sold they also boast most returning users and most that reported they switched to Samsung for the quality, as well as the support they receive that the others don't provide.

Btw here's a link on specs for GS3

<p>

Ok. Any links?

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/28/samsung-easily-tops-apple-to-become-worlds-top-smartphone-m anufacturer/

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-records-record-profit-for-latest-quarter-becomes-worlds-top-smartphone-manufacturer_id29551

Can't post screenshots but nice gs3 vs one x(evolte) comparison at android authority.com from his week, btw gs3 is both ceramic to stay cooler and poly carbonate like evo but gs3 wins of course....Samsung is better manufacturer.

<p>

http://www.macrumors...op-smartphone-m anufacturer/

http://www.phonearen...acturer_id29551

Can't post screenshots but nice gs3 vs one x(evolte) comparison at android authority.com from his week, btw gs3 is both ceramic to stay cooler and poly carbonate like evo but gs3 wins of course....Samsung is better manufacturer.

Was looking for a confirmation of the specs you listed.

I did have many GPS problems on the Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S Variant) but with the Samsung Note the GPS radios appear much better and I get the GPS locks faster.

The GPS on my Epic (S1) is horrible and rarely works. It worked with 2.1 Eclair using a code fix you punch into the phone to force a cold restart of the GPS every time it was used, but with the update to Froyo and now with the current version it is extremely unreliable and has been for a year. The only way I can get it to work sometimes it to completely shut down the phone and restart. My signal is also very iffy on Sprint with it, though I do live on the fringes of town (outside of Joliet, IL...suburb of Chicago).

One thing I've consistently read on many forums is about the better radio's on motorola's and HTC phones vs the Samsung. My wife has the Epic 4G Touch (S2) and has GPS issue's (not as severe seemingly) and iffy coverage sometimes.

Though the S3 with 2 gig ram will be hard to say no to. Was all ready to get the EVO 4G LTE, but with all the issue's they have had I decided to hold off for a bit.

You mean the Samsung Galaxy S III Epic 4G LTE Touch 2?

B)

Interesting.. I noticed while reading Sprints official SGSIII press release that there is No mention of the "Epic" name.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2301

Perhaps they're leaving it as Galaxy S3... guess we'll find out when they open the pre-order page tomorrow.