Nexus or Evo LTE?

Abyss19707

I am currently deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and Evo 4G LTE. I am upgrading from the iPhone 4S to one of these phones. Which phone? Also who ever owns the Galaxy Nexus please list pros and cons of owning the Galaxy Nexus

I am currently deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and Evo 4G LTE. I am upgrading from the iPhone 4S to one of these phones. Which phone? Also who ever owns the Galaxy Nexus please list pros and cons of owning the Galaxy Nexus

Well, this kind of question will get you a lot of different answers but since I just bought a galaxy nexus on release day and since I am also planning on getting an evolte when its released I think I can asnwer your question. Now as far as specs goes there isn't any doubt that the evolte exceeds the gnex but this spec war in my opinion is getting out of hand. These companies really need to focus more on user experience/battery performance versus who has the most cores.

Anyway, there are other phones that have better specs(not by much) than the gnex but I hardly doubt you can find a phone thats any more responsive than the gnex. Everything I click on opens up instantaneously, there isn't any lag whatsoever when using this device. Some people may say to not waste an upgrade on a phone with last years specs but the gnex really is a great phone to own. The screen is beautiful to look at even though the pentile display gets on my nerves at times, especially on fine print but for the most part the display is great.

As far as the evolte, based on the one x reviews the screen(slcd 2) is the best screen on the market so far which is saying a lot and even though the camera may not be the absolute best smartphone camera it does have quite a bit of features that put many other smartphone cameras to shame. And then there is sense 4.0 which seems to be a lot less resource hungry and compliments android 4.0 versus trying to replace it. So to answer your question if you aren't entirely in a rush I would say just wait for the evolte but just know the gnex isn't a bad option either.

• Like 3

Galaxy nexus has a removable battery, no carrier bloatware, and no htc skin. Does the better processor on the new evo make up for the bloatware and htc skin? I don't know. I do know that sense and gingerbread don't play nice on my OG EVO, it lags, and my wifes nexus s 4g is smooth and fast with ice cream sandwich. With that said, imo, software > hardware.

Edited by nels0300

the s4 snapdragon in the new evo 4g lte has the LTE modem built-in to the silicon chip, opposed to separate like the galaxy nexus, so the evo 4g lte will get much better battery life on 4g lte networks in addition to much better performance than the processor in the galaxy nexus.

• Like 1

Eh... the Gnex has lost a little of its luster for me. The news that the CDMA Gnex won't get its updates straight from google was a real disappointment. When you combine that with some of the other things already mentioned, a lesser camera, a lessor processor, and the fact that sense isn't a negative to me. All and all I think the Evo LTE has a certain wow factor that's worth the wait. Not to mention, although I've been able to upgrade my OG Evo since April 1st, I am in no hurry to upgrade until Northern Virginia gets a more significant LTE footprint. I do use WIMAX when it's available. I'll wait a couple weeks after the Evo launch... check the forums for a consensus of the pros/cons... look at everything confirmed at the time for the Galaxy III.... and make the best decision I can at the time. That's all you can really do.

• Like 1

Sprint Gnex will get its updates from google. The issues with cdma is that's its not open source at all and can't be distributed in the aosp source code. Which means you may have problems building a rom from source. Google still provides binarys and system images for the sprint gnex just not the cdma stuff which comes with the stocks roms and updates.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2. Also there won't be a issues with LTE as its somewhat derived from GSM/UTMS.

Edited by david279

I'm not sure if you can really pick a clear winner in this. Both phones are really top of the line phones. Look at how the Nexus S with a single core processor was able to keep pace with the dual core flagships that came out after. I think it is more of a matter of preference is you like an AOSP user interface, or if you prefer Sense. Many people prefer a HTC build, others prefer the Samsung build. I'm sure the bootloader will be unlocked on the EVO LTE very soon after launch and there will be plenty of ROMs out there for both phones. I am rather disappointed in the lack of accessories for the GNex using the pogo pins. I think there is one dock that uses them. Why even put the pogo pins on the phone if you aren't going to make any accessories that use them? HTC has been pretty good about releasing accessories. I'm not sure what the battery life of the EVO LTE will be, but the GNex with OEM extended battery and LTE enabled has lasted up to 48 hours for me when I keep the amount of apps down, it averages about 30 hours when I have a bunch of apps installed and use it moderately.

If I was in the market for a phone right now, I would personally go with the GNex, but the EVO LTE is a very nice phone also.

Well I have had issues with my Galaxy nexus from day one. Namely no data connection. Had the phone replaced once still had no data connection. Today I sent it back to sprint for full credit. Sprint is aware of numerous customers who after activation lose all 3g data service. And while lots of phones are affected, many users have no problems with data service.

Of course Sprint says a software update is being rushed to address the problem.

I wouldn't buy a galaxy nexus from the internet, buy it in a sprint store and have it activated, and verify that your data service works before you walk out of the store with it.

The galaxy nexus was a nice phone and if I thought they would have a software update out before my 14 day period for return was up I would have kept it. But I think the evo 4g lte will also be a sweet phone and I will be happy to wait for its release.

I think most people would be happy with either phone but for me Its got to be the evo. 2 galaxy nexus phones neither worked properly, spent 7 hours of wasted time with online chats phone calls and a 2 1/2 hour lousy experience in a sprint store and I have had enough of the Galaxy nexus experience.

Well I have had issues with my Galaxy nexus from day one. Namely no data connection. Had the phone replaced once still had no data connection. Today I sent it back to sprint for full credit. Sprint is aware of numerous customers who after activation lose all 3g data service. And while lots of phones are affected, many users have no problems with data service.

Of course Sprint says a software update is being rushed to address the problem.

I wouldn't buy a galaxy nexus from the internet, buy it in a sprint store and have it activated, and verify that your data service works before you walk out of the store with it.

The galaxy nexus was a nice phone and if I thought they would have a software update out before my 14 day period for return was up I would have kept it. But I think the evo 4g lte will also be a sweet phone and I will be happy to wait for its release.

I think most people would be happy with either phone but for me Its got to be the evo. 2 galaxy nexus phones neither worked properly, spent 7 hours of wasted time with online chats phone calls and a 2 1/2 hour lousy experience in a sprint store and I have had enough of the Galaxy nexus experience.

It's unfortunate that the Sprint Galaxy Nexus is having these problems, and that Sprint was slow to inform everyone who sells or services their phones. It will be corrected, and an initial bug is not really indicative of the quality of the model.

I can fully understand that you, and probably many other people who had a bad experience with the GNex are not planning to go down the GNex road again. I had a similar situation with a Roku player, and I swore off Roku altogether and bought a Google TV box instead.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And the GNex does not have Gorilla Glass, but it is supposed to be very similar.

Is it Similar to Gorilla Glass or Gorilla Glass 2?

Is it Similar to Gorilla Glass or Gorilla Glass 2?

According to Samsung, it is "fortified glass" I don't know if it is similar to GG1 or 2, but I have dropped my GNex face down without a case or screen protector from about 4 feet and there was zero damage. I have read people who claim that they have "had 10 phones in the last 4 years and never a scratch even without a screen protector or case and they had a scratch in the GNex within a week of owning it." I may have exaggerated that, but gorilla glass or not, there is always the chance of a piece of silicon dust making its way into the pocket and scratching a phone screen.

• Like 1

According to Samsung, it is "fortified glass"...

...not to be confused with that fine, upstanding beverage, fortified wine.

nighttrain01.jpg

AJ

I'd get the EVO LTE...that's after using it for a while. The whole ASOP thing really is overrated in my opinion, and I find that stock Android is kinda meh at best. I actually applaud to work that Samsung and HTC put into making their devices more user friendly out of the box.

I was shopping for a smartphone for my girlfriend (got her to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint), and got her the iPhone 4S instead of Android, and have no regrets.

I'd get the EVO LTE...that's after using it for a while. The whole ASOP thing really is overrated in my opinion, and I find that stock Android is kinda meh at best. I actually applaud to work that Samsung and HTC put into making their devices more user friendly out of the box.

I was shopping for a smartphone for my girlfriend (got her to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint), and got her the iPhone 4S instead of Android, and have no regrets.

As I said

I think it is more of a matter of preference if you like an AOSP user interface, or if you prefer Sense.
I like to start from the basic building blocks of Android and set up my own, personalized interface. Avoid the system bogging junk, and stick to what I want to use and that's it. Some people like to jump right in to Sense and it works for them. Some people like to fit in the mold that Apple has released. To each his own.

I've always been a one man wolfpack. I loathe when I am told what to like and what widgets I should use. AOSP works for me.

As I said I like to start from the basic building blocks of Android and set up my own, personalized interface. Avoid the system bogging junk, and stick to what I want to use and that's it. Some people like to jump right in to Sense and it works for them. Some people like to fit in the mold that Apple has released. To each his own.

I've always been a one man wolfpack. I loathe when I am told what to like and what widgets I should use. AOSP works for me.

And you're the %1 my friend...literally :)

• Like 1

I have researched both phones and own neither, but realistically why go with last years phone. Yeah it may receive updates faster than other phones but so far the CDMA phones don't get this perk. Then the EVO 4GLTE has HD Voice, SVDO and according to the reviews has a better looking screen The Nexus is responsive like one user said but then again so is the EVO. The only reason to buy the Nexus is developer love because it is already out dated solid phone or not. The One X variant is faster, better screen, better camera, better looking and is the phone to beat today.

I have researched both phones and own neither, but realistically why go with last years phone. Yeah it may receive updates faster than other phones but so far the CDMA phones don't get this perk. Then the EVO 4GLTE has HD Voice, SVDO and according to the reviews has a better looking screen The Nexus is responsive like one user said but then again so is the EVO. The only reason to buy the Nexus is developer love because it is already out dated solid phone or not. The One X variant is faster, better screen, better camera, better looking and is the phone to beat today.

The nexus is not "last year's phone" Google uses the nexus to introduce the next generation of operating system, so it could be considered the first of the current model line, but hardly "last year" and not "outdated." This has been discussed here before.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Nexus S was the first and only CDMA phone to receive the official Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.

P.S. GNex camera has beat the HTC One camera in every comparison I have seen.

The nexus S just got ICS in April. We can differ on the fact of whether it is last year or not; However manufactured in 2011 seems pretty much like last year if you ask me.!

That really depends on the phone. The Galaxy Nexus is a flagship phone. The Evo Shift was also built last year and discontinued a few days shy of a year old. Even though it's last year's phone, it's worse than being last years tech.