iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

My wife's wifi performance with her Iphone 8 is noticeably worse than my Nexus 6P but her LTE performance noticeably better.

Half the speeds on 2.4 and 5 ghz. However, her actual throughput on LTE is nearly double what I am able to get. On a tower I was pulling down 32ish she was easily getting nearly 60 down.

It is kind of interesting and not really an issue (Not like either phone can hit max wifi speeds on my Google Fiber connection anyways).

23 hours ago, cletus said:

My wife's wifi performance with her Iphone 8 is noticeably worse than my Nexus 6P but her LTE performance noticeably better.

Half the speeds on 2.4 and 5 ghz. However, her actual throughput on LTE is nearly double what I am able to get. On a tower I was pulling down 32ish she was easily getting nearly 60 down.

It is kind of interesting and not really an issue (Not like either phone can hit max wifi speeds on my Google Fiber connection anyways).

Of course it's going to be better.  

Nexus 6P B41 2CA vs. iPhone 8 B41 3CA & B25 2CA.

It's not a fair comparison.

Edited by greenbastard

On 10/6/2017 at 12:00 PM, greenbastard said:

Of course it's going to be better.  

Nexus 6P B41 2CA vs. iPhone 8 B41 3CA & B25 2CA.

It's not a fair comparison.

Oh I am aware of the CA differences. I just wasn't expecting a 2x difference on throughput. The slow wifi is puzzling but eh, good enough for my wife.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/11/jony-ive-iphone-x-10th-anniversary-coincidence/

“Ive told the magazine that the iPhone X project had an incubation period of more than two years, and with features like Face ID and the TrueDepth camera, is one of the most difficult projects Apple has undertaken.”

This is a pretty long design cycle. The next iPhone X (X2?) (and perhaps the 8’s successor) will hopefully have HPUE.

• 2 weeks later...

Very difficult question to answer as it has sooo many variables --- BUT --- I've been trying out a Samsung s8+ for the last few days in my area.  And performance and quality of service is vastly improved  since I had service about a year or less ago With an iPhone 6s Plus.  

My question is -- is it more probable my area has improved due to tower changes, or because I'm using a HPUE equipt phone?  

Thanks in advance....  

Could be a combination of the two.

HPUE has improved coverage substantially from devices I’ve seen with it.

Only way to know which is the bigger contributor overall would be to get your old iPhone and test it under the current network.

iPhone 6s supports 2xCA. It’s also a generation (or more in my opinion) behind in terms of RF components and features as it lacks HPUE.

The S8 supports 3xCA and HPUE.

When the iPhone finally gets HPUE a year from now, Sprint’s network will be in even better shape... or heaven forbid it will be running on T-Mobile, which doesn’t do HPUE as far as I know. :-(

• Thanks 1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-25/inside-apple-s-struggle-to-get-the-iphone-x-to-market-on-time
FUD about Face ID?
The article also said that Apple gave its suppliers a 2 year lead time.

My take is IF Apple gave the Okay to de-tweak the sensor it was way before the keynote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Johnner1999 said:

My take is IF Apple gave the Okay to de-tweak the sensor it was way before the keynote.

I think so that and from there they would've had to tweak the keynote for that feature to reflect that tweak. so I would think what we saw was  the tweaked version of FaceID.  If it happened after the keynote that would be a media firestorm about how Face ID is not working as they presented it. 

• Like 1

I quit the website and went Best Buy. Ill bite the $30 activation fee.  I am trading in a 6 so the sprint flex is a nice option at $22 for 18 months. Don't mind paying $41 for 6 months.

I went with Best Buy as well. I’m off Fridays so it will be nice to have it ready when they open instead of waiting for a 5PM delivery! Plus the website worked so smooth. Sprint was slow and freezing up.

35 minutes ago, xenadu said:

I would if Sprint's website weren't falling over.

There has to be a better way of doing this.

If only you could “pre-pre-order” the device ahead of the actual “pre-order”. Sprint would then batch and process the orders on the back end as a script at 12:01AM.

• Like 1

I keep getting this when trying to preorder one on the Apple Store app and website through the iPhone Upgrade Program. Really odd. We’re on Framily and own all of our devices. Really wanted to buy the phone from Apple so that AppleCare was baked into the monthly payment rather than buying through Sprint and having to pay 200 bucks up front for AppleCare at the Apple Store. I guess I will wait until they sell the sim-free models so that I don’t have to deal with the carrier’s odd rules.

-Anthony

7B13AADC-F82E-4760-B29F-3AD7CEF59B4B.png

36 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

There has to be a better way of doing this.

If only you could “pre-pre-order” the device ahead of the actual “pre-order”. Sprint would then batch and process the orders on the back end as a script at 12:01AM.

With the website already being slow and the preorder process being buggy as hell, I gave up. I was trying to do a 2 year renewal but the Sprint site wouldn't process my payment.

On the bright side, I did get a 4-5 week shipping reservation from Apple since they couldn't verify my information with Sprint. I'll just go to bed and try this again tomorrow.

Was able to place my order via Sprints site but didn’t get a confirmation number even in the email. Who knows. ??‍♂️

Also,

Why in the world is Sprints app in maintenance at a time like this? Boy these Sprint devs have to be some of the worst. I still don’t understand as to why the website has so many skins from over the years. Very clunky site. I understand that they trying to save money but never short change your product such as the website.

• Like 2

My mother use to have the iPhone 6, and when I set it up for her I was quite surprised how much I liked it. I've been a long time Android user, despite my not liking Android much at all. To me, Android is too complex, though I know its complexities has advantages for users who like the level of customization Android provides. Yet, the only reason I was still using Android was because of its openness in accepting video game emulators on the platform, which iOS lacks.

However, I really liked iOS on the iPhone 6, in fact so much that it has had me rethinking my priorities for device usage, along with knowing Apple's hardware is much better, faster for gaming and other device usage in contrast with Qualcomm and Mediatek processors using Android. So, non-emulator app games run faster on Apple, of course along with other apps and such. Combined with the excellent hardware and software, I thought this through very carefully, and even brought my computer purchasing plans into consideration, in regards to emulator solutions to possibly switching to Apple from Android.

What I decided to do, is wait a few months for the new Nvidia gpus to arrive for the thinner gaming laptops, such as Razer, which I'll get then to bring along with me on car rides that won't be so heavy like the majority of high-end 10+ lb gaming laptops, use that for emulators along with the need I have to replace my six year old behemoth Asus ROG. Doing this, I can quit Android and go with Apple, which is exactly what I'm doing. I got a great deal from T-Mobile for the 256gb iPhone X, which I ordered in time for 11/3 delivery, and my mother is getting the Watch 42mm Space Black with Black Band (the more premium, non-Sport version). Along with that, she's getting the iPhone SE 32gb as her main line, with the Watch secondary. I'm going to have the iPhone X as my device.

Have you seen these screen repair prices for the iPhone X?:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/10/27/iphone-x-screen-repair-out-of-warranty-fees/

In the United States, Apple will charge flat rates of $279 for iPhone X screen repairs and $549 for any other damage to the device, unless it is a manufacturing defect covered by Apple's standard one-year limited warranty.

5 hours ago, derrph said:

Was able to place my order via Sprints site but didn’t get a confirmation number even in the email. Who knows. ??‍♂️

Also,

Why in the world is Sprints app in maintenance at a time like this? Boy these Sprint devs have to be some of the worst. I still don’t understand as to why the website has so many skins from over the years. Very clunky site. I understand that they trying to save money but never short change your product such as the website.

What a mess. Sprint needs to switch out its web team people and the management in charge of it. Of course it’s hard and complex work, but they’re not getting the job done. This is simply inexcusable at this point.