iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

Yes. You're right about this. Sprint was likely asking Apple for HPUE as early as 2015. As for why Apple didn't include it, Apple has to give upgraders a reason to upgrade again. That's just what they do. It happened with the lack of Band 41 on the iPhone 5s/5c.

So we'll likely see HPUE and 4x4 MIMO on next year's iPhones. T-Mobile will also get 600 MHz support... and the Apple people will upgrade as expected.

I'm curious about the time on LTE and time on Band 41 test data for the iPhone 7/8/X vs an HPUE device like the S8 on Sprint.

If there's not an appreciable difference between these figures, we're not missing out on as much as it seems perhaps.

Perhaps this be the last year for Qualcomm Modems in iPhones? Intel has this: https://www.pcmag.com/news/351878/intels-7560-modem-could-push-next-iphone-to-1gbps

Or perhaps we see a Qualcomm x20 in next year's models alongside it....again...

1 hour ago, WiWavelength said:

No, you are playing fast and loose (sidenote: Steve Dean, see the correct use of the word "loose") with the timeline.

Sprint and 3GPP did not hatch HPUE out of thin air in December 2016.  It was in the pipeline prior to then, a known commodity.  Apple could have planned accordingly.  LG and Samsung certainly did on handsets released months before the 2017 iPhone cohort.

The most accurate thing you said is your final statement:  "just Apple being Apple."  The iPhone historically has been a generation behind in the latest RF technology.  And until Apple settles its kerfuffle with Qualcomm or Intel gets its modem technology up to speed -- neither of which appears imminent -- iPhone will continue to be behind, even intentionally so.

AJ

Sorry AJ. Meant to type lose. Typing and working at the same time.

"Loose" = "lose" is an Internet pandemic.  Sad.

AJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RedSpark said:

I'm curious about the time on LTE and time on Band 41 test data for the iPhone 7/8/X vs an HPUE device like the S8 on Sprint.

This is what I would want to see. Personally I simply don't see a difference between HPUE and a phone that does not have it. If there is a difference it's not very big and probably won't make much of a difference. 

5 hours ago, Terrell352 said:

This is what I would want to see. Personally I simply don't see a difference between HPUE and a phone that does not have it. If there is a difference it's not very big and probably won't make much of a difference. 

I advice against using the GS8 as an example. Moto Z2 is considerably better at holding a signal.

9 hours ago, Steve Dean said:

So "irregardless" could be an epidemic?

"Irregardless" has been a problem regardless of medium, long before the Web existed.

AJ

I could care less about your problems, Robert.

AJ

• Haha 1

Can't forget "defiantly", though autocorrect is partly to blame for that one.

I'm thinking I'll stick with my 6S+ for now, as much as I'd like to upgrade. I had the 4S without LTE, the 5S without B41, and I'm not sure if the 6S cycle missed anything important. But I don't want another new (and expensive) device that feels a generation behind in terms of wireless tech.

I'm not too keen on the FaceID thing, I likely wouldn't use it. And the lack of a headphone jack is something I'd have to get used to.

12 hours ago, Sonic13 said:

Can't forget "defiantly", though autocorrect is partly to blame for that one.

I'm thinking I'll stick with my 6S+ for now, as much as I'd like to upgrade. I had the 4S without LTE, the 5S without B41, and I'm not sure if the 6S cycle missed anything important. But I don't want another new (and expensive) device that feels a generation behind in terms of wireless tech.

I'm not too keen on the FaceID thing, I likely wouldn't use it. And the lack of a headphone jack is something I'd have to get used to.

The iPhone 6/6 Plus added Band 41.

The 6S/6S Plus support 2CA. Added Band 12.

The 7/7 Plus supported 2CA at first and then received an OTA update to enable 3CA support. Qualcomm X12 Modem, but detuned to match Intel Modem in other model.

The 8/8 Plus support 3CA. Qualcomm X16 Modem, but detuned to match Intel Modem in other model. Also, no HPUE and no 4x4 MIMO.

• Thanks 1

Gimped.  The word is gimped.  Apple gimped the Qualcomm baseband modem to maintain parity with the Intel baseband modem.

Bring out the gimped modem.  Gimped modem's sleeping.  Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake it up now, won't you?

AJ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WiWavelength said:

Gimped.  The word is gimped.  Apple gimped the Qualcomm baseband modem to maintain parity with the Intel baseband modem.

Bring out the gimped modem.  Gimped modem's sleeping.  Well, I guess you're gonna have to go wake it up now, won't you?

AJ

Haha! Nice.

So next year's iPhone could either contain a gimped-as-necessary Qualcomm X20 to match whatever Intel is offering at that point, most likely the Intel 7560... or if Apple decides to drop Qualcomm altogether... then Intel for everybody I guess...

"Gigabit Class", HPUE (perhaps), and 4x4 MIMO....

On 9/17/2017 at 0:12 AM, WiWavelength said:

AJ

Heck, since I have been butchering the English language, even with spell check, we can substitute gimped with gumped in this case since you do not know what modem you will receive in the phone:

image.png

2 hours ago, Steve Dean said:

Heck, since I have been butchering the English language, even with spell check, we can substitute gimped with gumped in this case since you do not know what modem you will receive in the phone:

The Gimp got gumped at the 1994 Academy Awards.

AJ

• Haha 1

Has there been any info as to the RF on the 8/8+ and X? I wonder if its the same/ better or worse than last years iPhones. 

2 hours ago, derrph said:

Has there been any info as to the RF on the 8/8+ and X? I wonder if its the same/ better or worse than last years iPhones. 

I wonder if the new glass back has any impact on antenna performance.

3 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

I wonder if the new glass back has any impact on antenna performance.

I hope so and for the better.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, WiseGuy321 said:

Does anyone have an Apple Watch with LTE? 

Can you make calls using Sprint's network?

I don’t have an Apple Watch, but to answer your question, yes you can make calls over Sprint’s network. Calls are VoIP.