iPhone 8, 8+, X announced

nobius

The iPhone X looks cool but I'm not a fan of the notch. I'm looking forward to the AR possibilities.

Here's what Apple's website says about cellular bands for the Sprint model:

• FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
  • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, bipbapbam said:

Any news on the following for each of the phones?

-HPUE

-CA

-RAM

Are they using Qualcomm chips or did they manage to switch everything over to intel?

Ive seen on gsmarena that all support 4xca. But those items im very curious on. I plan on getting the unlocked iPhone x. 

28 minutes ago, bipbapbam said:

Any news on the following for each of the phones?

-HPUE

-CA

-RAM

Are they using Qualcomm chips or did they manage to switch everything over to intel?

No HPUE

• Thanks 1

CDMA BC: 0 / 1 / 10

GSM 850 / 1900

WCDMA Bands: 2 / 4 / 5

LTE Bands: 2 / 4 / 5 / 12 / 13 / 17 / 25 / 26 / 41 (supports more but not relevant to sprint)

256 / 64 QAM DL-UL

3xCA DL B41 contiguous and non contiguous

2xCA DL B25 non contiguous

2xCA UL B41 contiguous

No HPUE

No 4x4 MIMO

• Like 1

Just from looking at the models on apple id say we will have a intel and qualcomm version again.  Also how do we know it doesnt support 4x4 and hpue, has any of them passed through the fcc or has anyone confirmed from sprint or apple?

29 minutes ago, stealth said:

Also how do we know it doesnt support 4x4 and hpue, has any of them passed through the fcc or has anyone confirmed from sprint or apple?

Yes, FCC OET.  Trust that, after 5+ years, S4GRU staff knows what it is doing.  Apple device authorizations pop up in the FCC OET within hours of their announcement events.

AJ

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I'm struggling to find the filings on the FCC's OET website for the iPhone X.  I've attempted to search under Grantee Code (BCG) and what I think is the Product Code A1865.  I've also scanned through every filing with a Final Action Date of today, looking for listings with lower / upper frequency ranges that correspond to B41.  It appears that they've changed the naming convention of the suffix of the FCC IDs which makes it more challenging:  Some are BCG-(Apple Model Number); Some are BCG-ExxxxA.  Can anyone please lead me to the filing for the iPhone X?  Thank you

6 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

Thanks.  Seems like a typical Motorola radio!  Unfortunately I'm not a fan of a plastic screen. 

the side of my moto z 2 force had paint scrapped off after one drop...i hope apple does better

From the rumors before the release, HPUE was not going to be incorporated.  Not having 4x4 MIMO was a bit of a shock. 

Apple does have a great designs, cool functions and a couple new tricks but the antennas in the phones have always disappointed.  In my opinion, when Apple designs a new phone, some of the parts specified stay the same regardless of newer technology being available later before the release.  Hopefully with HPUE being pushed into the market, this will force Apple to incorporate the newer technology.

The purchase of a X for myself?  I am on the fence at this point.  I know at some point I will need to replace my wife's phone though she will use her current iPhone (6) until it gives up.  If I do, I can keep it for a year and give it to her in 2018.  Just need to hear some feedback from actual users before purchasing.

13 hours ago, CrossedSignals said:

I'm struggling to find the filings on the FCC's OET website for the iPhone X.  I've attempted to search under Grantee Code (BCG) and what I think is the Product Code A1865.  I've also scanned through every filing with a Final Action Date of today, looking for listings with lower / upper frequency ranges that correspond to B41.  It appears that they've changed the naming convention of the suffix of the FCC IDs which makes it more challenging:  Some are BCG-(Apple Model Number); Some are BCG-ExxxxA.  Can anyone please lead me to the filing for the iPhone X?  Thank you

I noticed that all iPhone X advertisements note that it is yet to be FCC authorized. Maybe only the iPhone 8/8 Plus have gone thought so far?

8 minutes ago, techcj_manzer said:

I noticed that all iPhone X advertisements note that it is yet to be FCC authorized. Maybe only the iPhone 8/8 Plus have gone thought so far?

Thanks.  That might be it.  I noticed this morning that PhoneScoop lists the FCC ID's as BCG-E3161A and BCG-E3175A.  Clicking the hyperlink to the FCC's website returns a not found error.   I was able to find a couple of variants of the iPhone 8, including Model NumberA1897 (no CDMA) and (BCG-E3160) Model Number A1864 (CDMA) /A1899 (same test report).

6 hours ago, Steve Dean said:

From the rumors before the release, HPUE was not going to be incorporated.  Not having 4x4 MIMO was a bit of a shock. 

Apple does have a great designs, cool functions and a couple new tricks but the antennas in the phones have always disappointed.  In my opinion, when Apple designs a new phone, some of the parts specified stay the same regardless of newer technology being available later before the release.  Hopefully with HPUE being pushed into the market, this will force Apple to incorporate the newer technology.

The purchase of a X for myself?  I am on the fence at this point.  I know at some point I will need to replace my wife's phone though she will use her current iPhone (6) until it gives up.  If I do, I can keep it for a year and give it to her in 2018.  Just need to hear some feedback from actual users before purchasing.

It's a bit hard for me to justify paying the extra $300 for the iPhone X 256GB over the iPhone 8 256GB when it also doesn't support HPUE or 4x4 MIMO.

I guess it'll be a fraction of that total $300 amount on iPhone Forever spread out over 12 months.

I'd almost rather have the Watch (Cellular) + the iPhone 8 256GB.

Hopefully the 2018 iPhone gets HPUE.

18 hours ago, Johnner1999 said:

No band 71, aka TMO 600mhz either. 

Seems the Intel modem needs some work still.   

I suppose focusing on the primary needs. 

The specs for these devices were finalized probably between 18-24 months ago.

Sprint publicly unveiled HPUE in Mid-December 2016 and it was certified very shortly thereafter.

When you factor in the component sourcing timeline for the production volumes that Apple needs along with the cost margins it wants to have and the device testing regimen it wants, it makes sense why HPUE isn't supported this cycle.

By the time of the public unveiling in December 2016, the Specs for the iPhone 8/X were already set in stone and nothing was going to change them. Even if Sprint was asking for HPUE behind the scenes we'll before the unveiling, it must have not been done with enough time for Apple to agree to it for this release cycle.

The same explanation could be why it doesn't support 600 MHz for T-Mobile either.

It's just Apple being Apple.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

It's a bit hard for me to justify paying the extra $300 for the iPhone X 256GB over the iPhone 8 256GB when it also doesn't support HPUE or 4x4 MIMO.

I guess it'll be a fraction of that total $300 amount on iPhone Forever spread out over 12 months.

I'd almost rather have the Watch (Cellular) + the iPhone 8 256GB.

Hopefully the 2018 iPhone gets HPUE.

I understand it is hard to justify the extra money and about HPUE and 4x4 MIMO not currently being supported with any new models but my wife would not care.  I am more worried about support for the current iPhone she has.  I think that the current model she has will loose support in 2018 or 19.  I would feel better knowing that something she has would be supported for several years to come. 

I would rather purchase an 8Plus, then hand it off in a year but she does not like the larger phones.  She would like something smaller like an 8 which I do not like.  I will need to figure out if this would be the best option long term.

16 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Sprint publicly unveiled HPUE in Mid-December 2016 and it was certified very shortly thereafter.

When you factor in the component sourcing timeline for the production volumes that Apple needs along with the cost margins it wants to have and the device testing regimen it wants, it makes sense why HPUE isn't supported this cycle.

By the time of the public unveiling in December 2016, the Specs for the iPhone 8/X were already set in stone and nothing was going to change them. Even if Sprint was asking for HPUE behind the scenes we'll before the unveiling, it must have not been done with enough time for Apple to agree to it for this release cycle.

The same explanation could be why it doesn't support 600 MHz for T-Mobile either.

Except that Qualcomm Modems have both currently -- Intel is "new" and I don't believe its as important to Intel.

that said I could be 110% wrong!  

21 hours ago, RedSpark said:

No, you are playing fast and loose (sidenote: Steve Dean, see the correct use of the word "loose") with the timeline.

Sprint and 3GPP did not hatch HPUE out of thin air in December 2016.  It was in the pipeline prior to then, a known commodity.  Apple could have planned accordingly.  LG and Samsung certainly did on handsets released months before the 2017 iPhone cohort.

The most accurate thing you said is your final statement:  "just Apple being Apple."  The iPhone historically has been a generation behind in the latest RF technology.  And until Apple settles its kerfuffle with Qualcomm or Intel gets its modem technology up to speed -- neither of which appears imminent -- iPhone will continue to be behind, even intentionally so.

AJ

• Like 3