SITE UPGRADE WARNING

S4GRU

One thing I noticed in the user settings was an option to change user display names. I know I'm not changing mine, but wasn't sure if the option was meant to be there or just something that eventually needs to be dealt with.

Upgrading settings on a new forum software, or major forum updates is a lot of work. I've been through it many times running forums in the past, and that was over five years ago before forums added so much additional functionality. It seems the only thing that has become simpler during this time is the design features that have template generators, etc.

Personally, I'm not sure what I think about this upgrade, though in my opinion it still looks better than Xenforo. I don't like the message spacing here when paragraph typing though. It looks like there is too much space when I try to create a paragraph.

13 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I'm really struggling with Tapatalk.  Spent several hours reading through boards.  A lot of IP Board users complaining about Tapatalk support issues and working with the new software.  Not sure we are going to get this part solved soon.  Maybe we can tweak the new mobile site to work better and leave Tapatalk behind once and for all?

I will be back at it tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

Robert

I can help out with this if you want. This type of thing is my expertise, so I may be able to get it up and running fairly quickly. Or at least debug the Tapatalk integration/plugin issues and get it working good enough.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I'm really struggling with Tapatalk.  Spent several hours reading through boards.  A lot of IP Board users complaining about Tapatalk support issues and working with the new software.  Not sure we are going to get this part solved soon.  Maybe we can tweak the new mobile site to work better and leave Tapatalk behind once and for all?

I will be back at it tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

Robert

The nice aspects of tapatalk are the ability to easily post photos without limits and notifications (but this has gotten fuzzy lately).  The worst aspect is constant bugs.

34 minutes ago, ingenium said:

I can help out with this if you want. This type of thing is my expertise, so I may be able to get it up and running fairly quickly. Or at least debug the Tapatalk integration/plugin issues and get it working good enough.

I currently have a support request in for IP Board to remove all the old Tapatalk files and folders on our servers.  Supposedly after that is complete, I can then install the new TAR files for Tapatalk that support IP Board 4.2 series software.  Hopefully IPB can do that today.  I'm only 50% sure that will work.  It seems to have worked for some users.  Tapatalk says they are working on a new specialized update with IP Board that will solve the remaining bugs.  But that will take probably another week or two.  I don't want it to drag out that long.

Robert

4 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Thanks for pointing out the display name change ability - I updated myself to 'PA' at the end since I've lived in TN for 3 1/3rd years now :rasp:

I suppose its helpful in that way, of course.

Granted, I doubt anyone on S4GRU would use the name change feature irresponsibly, but I've been on forums where the option caused a huge problem for both staff and other members. There are worse things, of course. A Woltlab Burning Board update caused my friend's site a vulnerability where banned members were automatically unbanned and even some serious admincp issues that were a huge issue.

I've made navigation and color toning changes to help readability and help you all get around the site.  Web site and mobile site.  With the changes, I'm starting to dig it.  Especially the mobile site.  I'm actually liking it much better than Tapatalk.  IP Board responded to my support request and it made no difference when I re-installed Tapatalk.  I don't know what further to do at this point on that front.  But to wait for Tapatalk's next update for IP Board 4.2.

Hope you are finding the site more usable now.  More to do.  Going to get more coffee.  :coffee:

Robert

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, S4GRU said:

I've made navigation and color toning changes to help readability and help you all get around the site.  Web site and mobile site.  With the changes, I'm starting to dig it.  Especially the mobile site.  I'm actually liking it much better than Tapatalk.  IP Board responded to my support request and it made no difference when I re-installed Tapatalk.  I don't know what further to do at this point on that front.  But to wait for Tapatalk's next update for IP Board 4.2.

Hope you are finding the site more usable now.  More to do.  Going to get more coffee.  :coffee:

Robert

Little bit easier on my eyes :-) I like the colors.

• Thanks 1

There is one particular problem I've noticed with the site upgrade, and I'm not sure if enabling this option needs to be done in user cp or admin cp, but the forum is missing its automatic placeholder feature.

On the forum before the update, when I clicked on a thread, it would automatically take me to the last read post/first new unread post. Now its not doing that, at least not for me. I really miss that feature.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Arysyn said:

On the forum before the update, when I clicked on a thread, it would automatically take me to the last read post/first new unread post. Now its not doing that, at least not for me. I really miss that feature.

I miss that feature too. It’s probably the biggest change for me with the new update. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

I miss that feature too. It’s probably the biggest change for me with the new update. 

If you click the little dot or star to the left of the thread, it will take you to the first unread post.  I do that on every forum I visit because different software has been inconsistent about what happens when you click the title itself.

- Trip

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Trip said:

If you click the little dot or star to the left of the thread, it will take you to the first unread post.  I do that on every forum I visit because different software has been inconsistent about what happens when you click the title itself.

- Trip

I am aware of that, but when there isn't an unread post, there isn't a way to go straight to the most recent post.  That's the thing that bugs me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RAvirani said:

I am aware of that, but when there isn't an unread post, there isn't a way to go straight to the most recent post.  That's the thing that bugs me.  

You can click on the date or the time underneath the name of the most recent poster and it'll take you there.

- Trip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arysyn said:

There is one particular problem I've noticed with the site upgrade, and I'm not sure if enabling this option needs to be done in user cp or admin cp, but the forum is missing its automatic placeholder feature.

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

It never worked that way for me.  In the previous site I HAD TO click the dot/star left of the topic link in order to go to the most recent post.  And I still have to.  If you used to be able to, but no longer can, that leads me to believe it is a member setting.  If I discover how, I'll let you all know.

Robert

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

It never worked that way for me.  In the previous site I HAD TO click the dot/star left of the topic link in order to go to the most recent post.  And I still have to.  If you used to be able to, but no longer can, that leads me to believe it is a member setting.  If I discover how, I'll let you all know.

Robert

Did you mostly use the desktop site because my experience with the old desktop site matches up with what you say...

On the old mobile site, clicking on a thread would always take me to the oldest unread or most recent post.

19 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Did you mostly use the desktop site because my experience with the old desktop site matches up with what you say...

On the old mobile site, clicking on a thread would always take me to the oldest unread or most recent post.

Yeah, I never used the old mobile website.  I hated it.  I used Tapatalk 90% of the time, and used Desktop when working at home on content.  But I really like the new mobile site.  Very usable.  I will look for settings.

Robert

59 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

Yeah, I never used the old mobile website.  I hated it.  I used Tapatalk 90% of the time, and used Desktop when working at home on content.  But I really like the new mobile site.  Very usable.  I will look for settings.

Robert

That’s so funny because before, I almost exclusively used the mobile site ?. It didn’t look great but it was very lightweight, fast and easy to use.

If you are able to find that feature in settings and switch it on that would be much appreciated!

• Like 2

I have been clicking the time since last post link. It will take you to the last post. You can also make a "Activity Stream" and select the "Take me to first unread comment" under "Clicking Unread Items". You would still have to click the clock for read items but it should take you to the last read item.

On 9/8/2017 at 9:48 PM, S4GRU said:

This is the default IP Board layout and color scheme. It will be changing incrementally over the next few weeks.  I will be working on it as I have time this weekend.  Not home from work yet. Soon™

will you be keeping the background colors...it looks much cleaner and more pleasing to the eyes....

7 minutes ago, danlodish345 said:

will you be keeping the background colors...it looks much cleaner and more pleasing to the eyes....

I've adjusted it to where I like it.  This is the planned final selection on colors.  But I'm open to suggestions.

Robert