SITE UPGRADE WARNING

S4GRU

IP Board is putting S4GRU in the queue to have the site upgraded to its newest version. We currently operate in the 3 series. We will be upgrading to the 4 series.

We likely will not have much notice when this happens. If I am given a timeframe, I will post it. But we are currently in an upgrade queue.

Once IP Board techs begin the actual migration and upgrade process, S4GRU will be temporarily offline. This will take several hours. When it goes back online, it will likely look very, very different. Not necessarily in a good way.

The upgrade will remove most of the S4GRU custom formatting, if not all of it. Also, some of the functionality, like Tapatalk, may not work at all initially. Side banners, tabs, navigation...I mean nearly everything may be screwy, not working right, in a new location or completely missing. Once it's back online, I will spend most of the effort of time on usability and content access. Making sure all the critical parts of the site are functional. Then I will start working on formatting. Working on colors, logos, etc.

The content will all be there. Don't need to worry about Wall posts, forum posts or messages being destroyed. But you may not be able to get to it the way you're used to. And it may look very generic initially.

The new upgrades will allow more customization and keep us current with all security and spam features. Our old version was no longer supported.

I apologize in advance for any inconveniences. I may solicit some help too, if required. As I am very busy at work right now. I wish we had more information on the impacts, but every site takes them differently. We will be surprised and adjust as required. Blessed are the flexible!

Robert

• Like 26

The one thing I'll say immediately that I like, which may be purely due to the upgrade and new functionality therein, or may have been neutered in the original configuration - but count me as definitely a fan of keeping the multi-faceted reaction-based 'like' options akin to what you see now on Facebook rather than the like-or-nothing approach.  Options are nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Paynefanbro said:

Surprisingly I'm not mad about it. It is quite bright so not the best for browsing at night, but it's definitely a much cleaner and more modern look.

The mobile site actually looks nicer. There's no doubt about that.

But my main gripe is that whenever you click on a topic with a new response. It now takes you to the first post of the first page. Before Tuesday change, clicking oonthe thread would take you to the first unread response so you could pick up where you left. You can also click on the time to go to the very last response, but then you'd miss an antire conversation.

I am definitely not getting used to that. 

2 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

But my main gripe is that whenever you click on a topic with a new response. It now takes you to the first post of the first page. Before Tuesday change, clicking oonthe thread would take you to the first unread response so you could pick up where you left. You can also click on the time to go to the very last response, but then you'd miss an antire conversation.

I didn't notice that change but now you've pointed it out I can see I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

16 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I didn't notice that change but now you've pointed it out I can see I'm going to be pretty annoyed.

i dont mind the change at all.....it actually looks more organized and clean....

This is the default IP Board layout and color scheme. It will be changing incrementally over the next few weeks.  I will be working on it as I have time this weekend.  Not home from work yet. Soon™

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Paynefanbro said:

I also can't figure out how to edit my posts on mobile. I guess my "Tuesday" and other typos will just have to stay up. 

Gotta love Gesture typing.

Edited by greenbastard
I found how to Edit on recent post, but I guess there is a time limit by default now.

I'm really struggling with Tapatalk.  Spent several hours reading through boards.  A lot of IP Board users complaining about Tapatalk support issues and working with the new software.  Not sure we are going to get this part solved soon.  Maybe we can tweak the new mobile site to work better and leave Tapatalk behind once and for all?

I will be back at it tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience.

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, greenbastard said:

3 hours ago, Paynefanbro said:

There should be a blue dot to the left of the thread title when viewing the list of threads. Clicking that dot will take you to the first unread post.

-Anthony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to add to the long to-do list, key notifications can not be enabled. " Someone comments on something I follow" can not be enabled as the option is disabled by the admin and a few others can not be disabled due to the same reasons.  thanks.