Google getting back in the hardware game with HTC purchase???

jefbal99

According to Android Police, "Google reportedly close to acquiring HTC's smartphone business"

HTC produced the very first Android phone in 2008, and it went on to become one of the most prominent makers of Android devices as the platform grew. However, it's been years since the Taiwanese company had a hit. As financial losses continue to mount, there are new rumors that Google is nearing a deal to acquire HTC's smartphone division.

According to the Chinese-language Commercial Times, Google and HTC are in the "final stage" of negotiations that could result in Google rescuing the smartphone maker. Google is supposedly looking at two options—either acquiring the smartphone business outright or becoming a strategic partner for HTC's smartphones. The Vive virtual reality unit is not part of the negotiations and will remain a separate entity regardless of what happens.

The Android Police story is using the following sources:

https://ctee.com.tw/News/ViewCateNews.aspx?cateid=kjmd&newsid=160674

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170907VL202.html

Google has worked with HTC many times on hardware, this could be a very good thing.  However, I'm still wary of what they did with Motorola in taking the patents and then selling the leftovers to Lenovo.  Motorola hasn't been the same since.

HTC is struggling, no matter what this is good for them.

According to Android Police, "Google reportedly close to acquiring HTC's smartphone business"

The Android Police story is using the following sources:

https://ctee.com.tw/News/ViewCateNews.aspx?cateid=kjmd&newsid=160674

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170907VL202.html

Google has worked with HTC many times on hardware, this could be a very good thing.  However, I'm still wary of what they did with Motorola in taking the patents and then selling the leftovers to Lenovo.  Motorola hasn't been the same since.

HTC is struggling, no matter what this is good for them.

To be fair, Google only purchased Motorola for its patents in the first place.  They had no desire to be a hardware company. Motorola was the Company with the largest warchest of mobile telecom patents available. 

Sigh, Google is forever misdirected. Google has the potential to be great if they were more streamlined. I give them credit for being innovative such as Google Glass and Project Ara, but Google seems to be forever beta testing everything and seems to just take the approach of throwing a plate of food at a wall and seeing what sticks. Hopefully this decision isn't just another impulsive attempt. I think they could have used Motorola that much sooner and been better than Apple than this back and forth.

Sigh, Google is forever misdirected. Google has the potential to be great if they were more streamlined. I give them credit for being innovative such as Google Glass and Project Ara, but Google seems to be forever beta testing everything and seems to just take the approach of throwing a plate of food at a wall and seeing what sticks. Hopefully this decision isn't just another impulsive attempt. I think they could have used Motorola that much sooner and been better than Apple than this back and forth.

On the other hand, I am sure that Google is concerned with the dominance of Samsung for two reasons. One, Samsung has Tizen in its back pocket. The moment that Samsung no longer wants to play ball with Google and they deem it to be profitable for them they will start scaling back Android. Two, Samsungs dominance could have the effect of constraining innovation in the Android arena. If I was Google I would want two or three major players using Android.

Google's strategy has changed since the Motorola sale. At the time of the Motorola purchase, Google was still focused on appeasing multiple manufacturers. The android market has since consolidated around Samsung, so Google is much less concerned about appeasement now. Secondly, Google has shifted to vertically integrating it's phone/tablet business from manufacturing to OS, like Apple has done from the start. Hence the purchase of HTC to get into the direct manufacturing/supply line game. The Pixel phones where a step in this direction, but Google still had to use a third party and then badge the phones, now that middle man gets cut out.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could be announced tomorrow...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/20/google-acquisition-htc-announced-tomorrow-trading-halted-taiwan/

Rumors began to percolate early this month that Google and HTC were on the verge of agreeing to a deal that would let Google take over the struggling smartphone maker. Now that rumor is sounding all but inevitable as HTC has halted trading of its shares on the Taiwan Stock Exchange pending a major announcement. However, the acquisition may not be as complete as the Moto deal in 2011.

It's late in the day on Wednesday in Taipei right now, and HTC shares won't begin trading on Thursday due to the upcoming announcement. The nature of that announcement isn't clear—it might not have anything to do with Google, but it's looking like a safe bet right now.

• Like 1

SAN FRANCISCO — Google announced late Wednesday night that it is spending $1.1 billion to hire a team of engineers from the smartphone business of the struggling Taiwanese manufacturer HTC in a bid to bring more hardware expertise to its own mobile technology operations. HTC said many of its estimated 2,000 employees affected by the deal were already working with the search giant on smartphones.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/technology/google-htc-smartphones.html?mcubz=3

• Like 2