Google Pixel 2 XL by LG Preview/User Thread

skid71

Google Pixel 2 XL (Taimen), expected to be announced on Thursday, October 5, 2017.

Reported specs:

• 5.99" OLED display (manufactured by LG Display)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 836 processor CORRECTION: Snapdragon 835
  • 4GB RAM
  • No 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Slim, bezel-less design, much like the LG G6
  • Dual front facing speakers
  • Squeezable frame, similar to the HTC U11
  • Android 8.1 (Oreo) OS
  • Options include:  64gb & 128gb storage; "Just Black" & "Black & White"
  • IP68 water & dust resistance
  • Always-on display
  • Reported pricing; 64gb $849, 128gb $949

I wouldn't be surprised by a dual camera setup.

I'm extremely interested in HPUE, 4x4 MIMO, etc.

I would expect Sprint to maintain their BYOD policy they have had the past several years.

I've been saving since purchasing the Nexus 6P, so I'm purchasing on announcement day (if forms holds over the past several years)

Hoping for a smaller price tag than Samsung's Note 8, or at least some additional accessories thrown in like Samsung has done.

Anyone else interested in this device?

I've had every Nexus device since the Galaxy Nexus. However, Pixel's pricing priced me out. I too hope they reduce their pricing as I prefer Pure Android. Typed from my Nexus 6P with a cracked screen...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I've had every Nexus device since the Galaxy Nexus. However, Pixel's pricing priced me out. I too hope they reduce their pricing as I prefer Pure Android. Typed from my Nexus 6P with a cracked screen...

i also prefer pure android as well with no bloat ware and no locked bootloaders and nothing holding them back from software upgrades

I love my 6P, I think it will make it another cycle for me, I don't think I'll be in the market for a smart phone until the Pixel 3

Google Pixel 2 XL (Taimen), expected to be announced on Thursday, October 5, 2017.

Reported specs:

• 5.99" OLED display (manufactured by LG Display)
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 836 processor
  • 4GB RAM
  • No 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Slim, bezel-less design, much like the LG G6
  • Dual front facing speakers
  • Squeezable frame, similar to the HTC U11
  • Android 8.1 (Oreo) OS

I wouldn't be surprised by a dual camera setup.

I'm extremely interested in HPUE, 4x4 MIMO, etc.

I would expect Sprint to maintain their BYOD policy they have had the past several years.

I've been saving since purchasing the Nexus 6P, so I'm purchasing on announcement day (if forms holds over the past several years)

Hoping for a smaller price tag than Samsung's Note 8, or at least some additional accessories thrown in like Samsung has done.

Anyone else interested in this device?

what about band 71 support 

I'm eager to see how the display on the LG V30 is received by the tech horde and users.  I'd wager the OLED panel used on the V30 will be the same panel used on the P2X.

I'm eager to see how the display on the LG V30 is received by the tech horde and users.  I'd wager the OLED panel used on the V30 will be the same panel used on the P2X.

Early and brief hands-on with LG's V30 shows promise for the display of the P2X.

Android Police, Android Central, and The Verge all like the OLED display on the V30.  David Ruddock at Android Police noticed some banding, while writers at Android Central & The Verge didn't mention any banding.

Looking good for the P2X, but Samsung OLED's are still the king.  I'm sure there is some tweaking and fine-tuning to be done.

I'm extremely interested in a great OLED display. 

According to ArsTechnica, the display on the LG V30 has issues :

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/lg-v30-hands-on-lgs-oled-displays-still-have-quality-issues/

Personally, I think Ars was given a preproduction unit that was not up to par. I seriously doubt there will be any flaw in the final actual for sale units.

• Like 1

My 6P took a crap.  I literally took it and my Thinkpad into a friend's restaurant's walk-in freezer and sit there for half an hour in a winter jacket in (-10 F temperature) to keep it operating in order to get my data off.

No repair or warranty replacement in sight for my $450 paperweight that broke after 7 months, despite it being in perfect exterior condition.

Huawei and Google are being sued now over this (common) malfunction.

• Like 1

My 6P took a crap. I literally took it and my Thinkpad into a friend's restaurant's walk-in freezer and sit there for half an hour in a winter jacket in (-10 F temperature) to keep it operating in order to get my data off.

No repair or warranty replacement in sight for my $450 paperweight that broke after 7 months, despite it being in perfect exterior condition.

Huawei and Google are being sued now over this (common) malfunction.

If you bought from Google, they will RMA pixel to you.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Here are the FCC numbers.  I'm unable to read documents with white backgrounds, so can someone share the nuts and bolts of what this document is telling us?

Credit goes to the FCC; picture taken from DroidLife

pixel-xl-2-fcc1.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, skid71 said:

Here are the FCC numbers.  I'm unable to read documents with white backgrounds, so can someone share the nuts and bolts of what this document is telling us?

Credit goes to the FCC; picture taken from DroidLife

Interesting, no B71 for TMobile 600Mhz LTE

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

Interesting, no B71 for TMobile 600Mhz LTE

Only a guess... Possibly too far along in the production process to add.  I'm clueless as to what goes into the antenna engineering.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, skid71 said:

2X and 3X CA DL B41

2X CA DL B25

No UL CA

HPUE

4x4 MIMO (10 streams)

256/64 QAM DL-UL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mr.Nuke said:

2X and 3X CA DL B41

2X CA DL B25

No UL CA

HPUE

4x4 MIMO

256/64 QAM DL-UL

Thank you very much for your time converting the diagram into something I can read.

Are these good/great?  I've read some folks asking about 4X CA on B41.  Is that a huge loss?

Just now, skid71 said:

Thank you very much for your time converting the diagram into something I can read.

Are these good/great?  I've read some folks asking about 4X CA on B41.  Is that a huge loss?

Are sites live with four B41 carriers?!?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skid71 said:

No, not a huge loss. But the more CA, the better. Plus, when we invest so much money on a cutting edge flagship device, we kinda want it all. But probably not a deal breaker for anyone. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

Are sites live with four B41 carriers?!?!

Well, you know how some folks are around here about that kind of thing.  I haven't read anything on S4GRU with any live 4CA sites, but I don't get around to all of the threads.  My home site is an old clear site, no 2xCA for me on that one.

26 minutes ago, S4GRU said:

No, not a huge loss. But the more CA, the better. Plus, when we invest so much money on a cutting edge flagship device, we kinda want it all. But probably not a deal breaker for anyone. 

I agree. It is a minor disappointment that LG was able to get things like 4xCA for B41 or B71 support  for T-Mobile on the V30, but not this device.

• Like 3