Sign in to follow this  
RAvirani

My Experience in British Colombia

RAvirani    759

Hi all,

I’m in Canada right now and my Sprint and AT&T phones are roaming on ROGERS while my T-Mobile phone is roaming on TELUS. After spending a few days in BC, I have to say that TELUS completely blows ROGERS out of the water as far as rural coverage goes. TELUS’s rural network in BC is surprisingly similar to Sprint’s - 5x5 850 B5 (850), 15x15 B2 (1900) and 20x20 B4 (2100). The Qrxlevmin on all bands in -128. ROGERS is running 5x5 B12 (700a), 5x5 B17 (700b), 5x5 B5 (850), 20x20 B4 (2100) and 20x20 B7 (2600).

It seems that the two providers have similar site density although TELUS has done a much better job of optimizing their network. I don’t think I’ve dropped LTE once on TELUS whereas I find myself on 3G/E probably a third of the time on ROGERS. Also, it seems that ROGERS LTE gives up at much higher signal levels than TELUS LTE. TELUS has no problem maintaining a -126 or -127 LTE connection while ROGERS LTE often drops off close to -122, despite them having much more spectrum on air than TELUS.

The most impressive thing I have noticed on TELUS in my few days of using them is that their 5x5 B5 LTE carrier performs well even at signal levels as low as -128. Today I was able to hold a facetime call without any issues as I passed through a number of patches where TELUS’s B5 LTE carrier’s RSRP was hovering between -123 and -128. I think the reason for this is because TELUS is very aggressive about pushing users up to higher band spectrum - I oftentimes see my phone jump from -110ish B5 to -120ish B2.

Overall, I’ve been very impressed with my experience with TELUS thus far and slightly let down by ROGERS. I hope to see Sprint follow in TELUS’s footsteps as far as network management goes - with a little more 1900 LTE on air, I think Sprint can build a network that works similarly to TELUS’s. Stretch 800 and 1900 to their max, drop the Qrxlevmin values on all bands and be a little more aggressive about shifting users to mid/highband spectrum and I think Sprint could do some pretty great things, just like TELUS has :).

• Like 6

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• PROGRESSIVE RAFFLE
    FOR AN iPHONE 8

iphonexiphone8.jpg

WHICH CAN PROGRESS TO AN iPHONE 8+ OR AN iPHONE X
    **or an Android device of equal or lesser value**

CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• There are positives to be had if there is a merger, for sure.  I don't believe a merger is bad in every way. And if it happens, there will be things that I will like. I just believe, at this time, all things considered, I'd prefer they'd be separate.  Just my opinion, and I respect the opinions of others points as well.  Because I considered them, and they are marked in the 'pro' column for me. I like where Sprint is going now more than ever in it's past.  And Sprint's road to "5G" is less capital intensive than the others because of spectrum and equipment deployed. 
    • I was also under the impression that site would be in the town of Wall. And the closest planned site to Wall in my maps is in New Underwood... Wish we had some eyes out there.
    • I don't think a merger will help consumers much.  TMobile capex is $5b.  Sprint might spend $5b. A merged company still could have $10b, but it will take years and a LOT of money to consolidate assets. There is going to be a lot of work, and a lot of money that will not go into making the network better, but making 2 networks 1. If you want to see a combined company make ProjectFi your carrier. Just look at some recent mergers.  Charter is doing horrible. AT&T and DirecTV brought no value but just increased TV bills. Large acquisitions tend not to benefit the customers but more so investors and those on the board who get millions for making a deal happen. As an investor I can see the excitement, but not so much a customer.
    • The total percent of subscribers graph shows everything you need to know about the current US wireless industry.  Verizon has ~35%, AT&T has ~35%, and all the other competitors are competing for the final 25% to 30%.  This also means that 70% to 75% of all the profits are split between AT&T and Verizon which gives them the money to keep deploying and keeps them with much larger, stronger networks.  If AT&T and Verizon can each afford to spend $10 billion+ on their networks each year, no smaller competitor can hope to keep up.
    • I see the purple on the Minuteman Site. I've been to it many sites. Very friendly horse next to it. It's a well established AT&T Guyed Wire Site.  It's possible this might be AT&T LTE Roaming pollution on Sensorly.  Especially given the strength of the report. I was expecting the Sprint site in this area to be in the town site of Wall itself.  I guess it's possible Sprint chose this site instead.  If I still lived in the area, I'd go check it out. But alas..