Verizon unlimited customers getting the boot.

danlodish345

First of all let's distinguish between bandwidth consumed or consumption rate which is measured in MB/sec and and monthly data consumption. Pretty much every wireless technology has a fairness algorithm that does not allow one user to consume all the bandwidth to the expense of all other users. So even at the peak of bandwidth demand one user does not hog the bandwidth. On the other hand you have total data consumed in a month. Putting a limit on total monthly consumption is ineffective way to battle congestion at peak times. I personally think that the carriers should go back to differentiating between on peak/off peak data consumption because who really cares if you're watching a movie on your iPhone at 3am. Nobody else is on the network.

Some carriers in other countries do it. I was just in Indonesia and had a SIM with Telkomsel. They have a different data bucket for midnight-7am (and different ones for LTE vs non-LTE) to encourage bulk usage in off-peak times. It's a new policy, because 2 years ago they didn't do this (nor did they really have much LTE deployed... whereas now it's solid coverage). Was perfect for me to do Google Photos picture and video backups.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Figuring this has become the Verizon thread here on S4GRU, I'll write here and improvise based off this thread's title. My post being "Verizon's customers give Verizon the Boot". A title highly appropriate considering this news article, here :

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-top-donator-customers-to-competitors-q2-cowen

Figuring this has become the Verizon thread here on S4GRU, I'll write here and improvise based off this thread's title. My post being "Verizon's customers give Verizon the Boot". A title highly appropriate considering this news article, here :

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-top-donator-customers-to-competitors-q2-cowen

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the unlimited data plan Verizon offers starts straining capacity on the network I'm starting to see that a little bit in my area.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the unlimited data plan Verizon offers starts straining capacity on the network I'm starting to see that a little bit in my area.

It may be one of the few things John Legere is telling the truth about. There are so many customers Verizon has on a carrier that doesn't have much more spectrum than T-Mobile, and has the least spectrum per customer of all carriers.

I realize why Verizon felt they needed to offer unlimited data again, but I believe they really should have done something else at the time instead. Its going to be more difficult for them to change things now, without risking losing more customers.

I've mentioned an idea here on S4GRU lately, which I believe to be a great alternative to unlimited data, and may also help ease the load on the network. This idea being the hybrid plan. Now, I've been suggesting it at 30gb monthly non-expiry carryover data, but that is more towards what T-Mobile and Sprint could do with their non-burdened networks.

AT&T and Verizon might be better off trying a hybrid plan at 15gb full-speed data monthly per line for $45 monthly per line with autopay/$50 monthly per line without autopay, then offer the option of $1 per gb full-speed data overage, while including free unlimited slower speed overage data at 3mbps.

That is the best way I can think of at the moment for them to relieve the congestion on their network by offering a better price deal for less of the more network-intensive data, getting customers to use less bandwidth or else pay more for the faster data many customers don't actually need. This being a better solution than deprioritization.

It may be one of the few things John Legere is telling the truth about. There are so many customers Verizon has on a carrier that doesn't have much more spectrum than T-Mobile, and has the least spectrum per customer of all carriers.

I realize why Verizon felt they needed to offer unlimited data again, but I believe they really should have done something else at the time instead. Its going to be more difficult for them to change things now, without risking losing more customers.

I've mentioned an idea here on S4GRU lately, which I believe to be a great alternative to unlimited data, and may also help ease the load on the network. This idea being the hybrid plan. Now, I've been suggesting it at 30gb monthly non-expiry carryover data, but that is more towards what T-Mobile and Sprint could do with their non-burdened networks.

AT&T and Verizon might be better off trying a hybrid plan at 15gb full-speed data monthly per line for $45 monthly per line with autopay/$50 monthly per line without autopay, then offer the option of $1 per gb full-speed data overage, while including free unlimited slower speed overage data at 3mbps.

That is the best way I can think of at the moment for them to relieve the congestion on their network by offering a better price deal for less of the more network-intensive data, getting customers to use less bandwidth or else pay more for the faster data many customers don't actually need. This being a better solution than deprioritization.

Yes I understand where you're coming from but also at the same time that would be much more expensive to then people would leave Verizon and got too expensive.

Yes I understand where you're coming from but also at the same time that would be much more expensive to then people would leave Verizon and got too expensive.

For customers who use alot of data, it might be more expensive, but it would provide a better network experience. If Verizon's speeds keep decreasing, its a sign that with the increased usage on the network, then deprioritization becomes more of an issue, in which everyone who uses over 22gb of data will run into the risk of eventually.

For instance, 22gb of data, is just 7gb more than the 15gb inclusion I'm proposing. at $1 per gb, if a customer uses autopay, that is only $52 monthly per line. Also, I think it would be a good idea for Verizon to include taxes. Another figure here, I'll bring it up to the same 32gb deprioritization limit of T-Mobile. That would make the cost at $62 monthly per line with autopay for 32gb of full-speed data, HD video included.

With T-Mobile, the only way its cheaper than that, is with multiple lines. Yet, if Verizon were able to spare its network by implementing this, and the quality went back up, then it would become a value proposition on how much data a customer uses to network quality in delivering content with that data.

One way or the other, it'll be interesting whatever happens here. Verizon needs more spectrum and if they don't change plans to better suit the network, they've got to seek out more spectrum. This is a major reason why I believe if Sprint goes with Charter and Comcast, it'll eventually end up with Verizon too, giving Verizon a bunch of extra, very important spectrum.

For customers who use alot of data, it might be more expensive, but it would provide a better network experience. If Verizon's speeds keep decreasing, its a sign that with the increased usage on the network, then deprioritization becomes more of an issue, in which everyone who uses over 22gb of data will run into the risk of eventually.

For instance, 22gb of data, is just 7gb more than the 15gb inclusion I'm proposing. at $1 per gb, if a customer uses autopay, that is only $52 monthly per line. Also, I think it would be a good idea for Verizon to include taxes. Another figure here, I'll bring it up to the same 32gb deprioritization limit of T-Mobile. That would make the cost at $62 monthly per line with autopay for 32gb of full-speed data, HD video included.

With T-Mobile, the only way its cheaper than that, is with multiple lines. Yet, if Verizon were able to spare its network by implementing this, and the quality went back up, then it would become a value proposition on how much data a customer uses to network quality in delivering content with that data.

One way or the other, it'll be interesting whatever happens here. Verizon needs more spectrum and if they don't change plans to better suit the network, they've got to seek out more spectrum. This is a major reason why I believe if Sprint goes with Charter and Comcast, it'll eventually end up with Verizon too, giving Verizon a bunch of extra, very important spectrum.

It definitely more Spectrum here in central New Jersey. And in South Jersey they need more densification and Spectrum to keep up with demand. But yes it's going to be very interesting to see what happens.