LG V30

Arysyn

I know it is a bit early, but since there have been some pretty strong rumors already regarding this device, I figured I'd start a thread for it, just as I did for the LG V20.

I had the LG V20 for a short time last year, and while I anxiously awaited several months for the smartphone, I only had it for a short amount of time after purchasing it when it became available. While I really liked the device for most of its features, one glaring issue I noticed on the few units I tried, was some bad grey uniformity of its LCD screen. Some people didn't notice this issue on theirs, while others did, including me.

That seems to be changing this year though, with the LG V30 heavily rumored to be featuring an OLED screen. As this will be LG manufacturing the OLED screens, rather than Samsung, its quite likely not to be the Pentile variety. The only reason I prefer LCD to OLED, is in my dislike only for the Pentile variety of OLED that has been present on a majority of OLED smartphone displays.

Not having Pentile means I finally will be able to say I prefer OLED to LCD. All except for the image retention and burn-in risks I've been reading may soon become a thing of the past, at least in regards to LG's OLED technology. Personally, despite the investment Samsung has made in AMOLED, I believe there is a possibility Samsung may end up switching to QLED for smartphone displays once they become the emissive-style technology, without the LCD panel involved.

In the meantime, it'll be interesting to pay attention regarding the LG OLED vs Samsung AMOLED feud in smartphones coming up later this year. Oh, and besides the LG V30 showcasing OLED in a single display format, rumors are there will be two OLED displays involved. One for the main screen, and another for the quick launch controls. I'll make another post in this thread with links here soon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unless it is a great deal, my next phone will need to have 4CA support (or an existing phone breaks). Must also support SCP showing EARFCNs unrooted.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Does the V20 not do this?

No problem with v20. It remains to be seen with v30. Much higher odds than Note 8 since Galaxy 8 does not.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No problem with v20. It remains to be seen with v30. Much higher odds than Note 8 since Galaxy 8 does not.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

LG seems to be pretty good about this stuff, so I would think it would be supported. I just got the G6, so probably not looking at a V30.

Because the V30 wasn't impressive enough? I'm not sure I understand the point of your post.

Sent from my LG G6

Sorry. Actually, yes, the V30 wasn't impressive enough -- for our purposes.

Seems that we are very rough on phone batteries. My first and only phone with a non-removable battery -- the Motorola Photon Q -- eventually died because its battery swelled, tearing the phone apart. Eventually that also happened to my wife's Photon.

So, the Photons were replaced with Samsung S5s. The S5s did worse than the Photons by giving us multiple swollen batteries. However, thanks to their user-replaceability, we handled that. In comparison, our LG G5s have been great. Replaced a couple of batteries but the swelling was barely noticeable; only very slight distortion on the glass gave us a clue that it was happening.

We like the features on the LG V-series. Had the V30 surprised us with a removable battery, or even a non-removable newer-design solid state lithium battery, we would have chosen it over the V20.

• Like 1

Just confirmed with Guenther, V30 is Gigabit LTE, so...

4x4MIMO 256QAM and HPUE support.

This device is looking more and more promising each day.

Also bolds well for the upcoming Pixel 2 XL.

I'm planning on getting one... Can you check with him on Calling Plus?

I found out it will support wireless charging as well. I found out the reason for the sealed battery was due to IP68 water resistance from what I heard. 

Pricing I'm hearing is $699 retail but that is rumor. 

I'm planning on getting one... Can you check with him on Calling Plus?

I found out it will support wireless charging as well. I found out the reason for the sealed battery was due to IP68 water resistance from what I heard.

Pricing I'm hearing is $699 retail but that is rumor.

Did y'all see the details about the lgv30+. It's supposed to be 128 gig instead of 64...I also heard rumors that it might have 6 gig ram instead of 4 gig but that part isn't verified yet! Wonder how much more the plus version will cost?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I find it interesting LG feels that a wider angle 2nd camera is the way to go vs a 2nd zoom in/telephoto camera like the iPhone 7+ and now Note 8 do.  I know they've been doing that for a while.

I usually don't feel the need for a wider angle picture.  I want to be able to zoom in without degrading picture quality.

I find it interesting LG feels that a wider angle 2nd camera is the way to go vs a 2nd zoom in/telephoto camera like the iPhone 7+ and now Note 8 do.  I know they've been doing that for a while.

I usually don't feel the need for a wider angle picture.  I want to be able to zoom in without degrading picture quality.

Day to Day I found the wide angle way more useful, but that's just me..

Sorry for lack of blog post. I developed wrist pain over the past few days so I had to keep off the keyboard for a bit.

V30 is the first official device to support 4xCA for B41.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So this is likely the basic blueprint for the Pixel 2XL, I would imagine. Wouldn't you tend to agree? Hell, if not, I'd love to see this thing in a stock Android version. Would be about ideal!

This collection of words is correct!

You win the interwebs today.

Congrats

• Like 1

I don't understand why they don't make the "wide" angle lens the default and the "regular" lens the "zoom" lens. You get the same lenses just defaulted wide and will please the people looking for a "zoom" lens and a wide lens.

Edited by fcp_dp
  • Like 1