Calling Plus (VoLTE "Lite")

On 9/10/2017 at 5:01 PM, danlodish345 said:

where i live in new jersey cdma coverage is better then lte most parts of the state...so lte calling wouldnt be usable....

It's easy to turn on and off depending on the area you're in. It's a simple toggle on the pull down. 

• Like 1

I installed the Call Plus on my Gal S8+  early last week and found within a few days that my battery just didn't last even a half day!  I've  been used to it lasting the full day with moderate use and almost two days with low use.

So, given that I had battery issues back with my Note 4 when I kept the WiFi on all the time, I turned off the WiFi portion of Call Plus and suddenly I've got more out of my battery.  Makes sense.  But still being frustrated by not having a full day of usage yesterday I've turned off that feature entirely.

I like the idea, but am unwilling to take the hit too my usage.  The calls were clear, but certainly not worth the hassle.

21 minutes ago, anSarakhJackie said:

I installed the Call Plus on my Gal S8+  early last week and found within a few days that my battery just didn't last even a half day!  I've  been used to it lasting the full day with moderate use and almost two days with low use.

So, given that I had battery issues back with my Note 4 when I kept the WiFi on all the time, I turned off the WiFi portion of Call Plus and suddenly I've got more out of my battery.  Makes sense.  But still being frustrated by not having a full day of usage yesterday I've turned off that feature entirely.

I like the idea, but am unwilling to take the hit too my usage.  The calls were clear, but certainly not worth the hassle.

How long did you talk on the phone when you had CP turned on? 

16 hours ago, anSarakhJackie said:

I have not seen any issues with battery life since turning on calling plus. I'm not saying it's not possible that you could be having problems, but also consider that it could be something else as well.

• Like 1

burnout8488-  

Probably about 30 minutes a day.  I mostly text and web browse with it.

Galaxyguy-        

I didn't add any other apps at that same time...  Of course, Samsung has installed a number of apps around then and in the last week that I have no use for-  I'll watch to see if indeed my battery rebounds or continues to suck.

Galaxyguy-

Ok, it's now 12 hours since I fully charged my phone.  It shows 74% full-- I have been texting on sms and Messenger all day, but with lighter than usual web access.  But still, that is pretty darn good compared to my Note 4 and more than twice as good as when I was on Call Plus.

I know, I know.  Too small a sample size- that will come with time.  But decent anecdotal information for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Imex99 confirmed that it is live.

Ohio, confirmed late last Tuesday.  Just PM him for more details.

5 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I have a G6, I was just wondering if he had posted this somewhere, I didn't know it was even coming to the G6 till I saw the icon show up.

Unfortunately he is not as active on s4gru with out tapatalk, like a number of others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dkyeager said:

Unfortunately he is not as active on s4gru with out tapatalk, like a number of others.

It's really not that hard to use the mobile site... I don't get the reliance on Tapatalk. Yeah it's nice to have... but the forum existed without it before. Hopefully the next update can fix the compatibility issue. 

• Like 6

Tapatalk is working again....I don't use computers very often and just use mobile or tapatalk. Check about once a week with mobile browser but everyday with tapatalk and Tapatalk notifications.

Calling plus worked great with my limited tests before I sold my g6. Highly recommend to test it out.....

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Tested CP(beta) on an S8. IMHO works better than expected. Only really tested the receiving end (was listening to the movie hotline while driving out in the country, where LTE is marginal), so not sure if the opposite party would have heard me as well as I heard them.

What is a bit iffy is the WiFi Calling handover where I tested it. Seems that the building you are in and connected to WiFi must have pretty good overlap of LTE and WiFi.   So, if inside your building, LTE is weak or nonexistant, it won't usually handover in either direction.  But, I was able to coax some handovers by finding areas with good overlap.  Will run a test at home, where I have a -38db LTE signal from tower in my backyard.

Vs. Verizon Advanced Calling 2.0 I would say that VZW will drop an VoLTE call very quickly, but Sprint will tolerate more LTE signal gap before dropping.  At one point, I heard a CP call hang on through about 5 seconds of silence in a weak signal area, then it came back just fine.  VZW will drop in that situation.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, Handyman said:

Vs. Verizon Advanced Calling 2.0 I would say that VZW will drop an VoLTE call very quickly, but Sprint will tolerate more LTE signal gap before dropping.  At one point, I heard a CP call hang on through about 5 seconds of silence in a weak signal area, then it came back just fine.  VZW will drop in that situation.

This is an interesting experience given that Verizon's VoLTE is prioritized on QoS and the handsets will hold LTE for the phone call than it would for a normal data session... curious as to why this happens to you, and how Sprint has better signal than Verizon there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post this Reddit post here, All day yesterday and still working so far this morning, all of my calls, not just WiFi calls to LTE were done over LTE, and I was able to use data just fine on my iPhone 7 Plus unlocked running 11.2 beta and Carrier update 30.5.2

I just checked in the About settings in iOS and made sure to forget all known WiFi networks in range, it now shows IMS Status as Voice and SMS and all calls now go over LTE, Heres a video I uploaded to youtube, You can't hear the call audio in the recording but it connected just fine and I heard it on my end, can already say that the call audio is SO MUCH CLEARER then the CDMA network https://youtu.be/Rcm6nHAM4WQ Edit: To add location im in Fresno, CA 93711, Maybe it's rolling out/Testing in certain markets?

• Like 5

It would be nice to know Sprint's timeline and how soon they will start to prioritize voice traffic over LTE (true VoLTE), but I'm sure that's a pretty well guarded secret.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My call quality has been hit and miss especially on fragile B41.  Anything around RSRP -110 or worse, people on the other-side cannot hear me.  Sprint will really need to work on handing this off to B25/B26.  Is this even possible for it to switch bands when signal is weak on B41?

• Like 1