Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

So a bit of update to my situation with one of my MBs. 

I wrote about how it had the 20% issue and then it got stuck in a boot loop crashing out. I emailed last night to send it back and gave some information. They wrote back this morning and asked if it was showing a SIM error message. It was not, it was an initialization message but since I hadn't plugged it in since the boot loop crashing where I let the battery die, I did so just to see if it popped up a new error.

It powered on and took what felt like forever with flashing e-ink screen and then brought up the familiar signal check screen. And it passed. Color me surprised.

So any of you that had that issue and just happen to have the box around still, check it out. They may have misconfigured something on your account or whatever but give it another chance. Especially those in the NC area. 

2 hours ago, Dkoellerwx said:

SMS and MMS have been running over LTE since devices switched to the single transmit radio design. 

On Android devices.  iOS devices are/were SRLTE for SMS.  That is why they were unaffected by the early e/CSFB issue.

AJ

3 hours ago, SeanK_ said:

You have anymore information about this S1000?

It is his older brother.

T-1000_flames.jpg

AJ

• Love 1

36 minutes ago, RightNow said:

So a bit of update to my situation with one of my MBs. 

I wrote about how it had the 20% issue and then it got stuck in a boot loop crashing out. I emailed last night to send it back and gave some information. They wrote back this morning and asked if it was showing a SIM error message. It was not, it was an initialization message but since I hadn't plugged it in since the boot loop crashing where I let the battery die, I did so just to see if it popped up a new error.

It powered on and took what felt like forever with flashing e-ink screen and then brought up the familiar signal check screen. And it passed. Color me surprised.

So any of you that had that issue and just happen to have the box around still, check it out. They may have misconfigured something on your account or whatever but give it another chance. Especially those in the NC area. 

hey @lilotimz can you check if his market has/had the same issues as Lincoln for Magic Boxes??

@RightNow which city/zip code is your Magic Box in?

11 minutes ago, RightNow said:

15 minutes ago, though said:

hey @lilotimz can you check if his market has/had the same issues as Lincoln for Magic Boxes??

@RightNow which city/zip code is your Magic Box in?

As far as I can tell, Sprint is licensed or leasing literally every single spec of 2.5 spectrum. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, though said:

There a way to put a chart or list of cities/markets that the MB is incompatible with?

Way too much work as that would require going over every single EBS and BRS allocation per market. If people are interested in it then they are free to ask and it can be looked up but I doubt anyone wants to do it for every single region (EBS leases are a pain in the butt). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lilotimz said:

Way too much work as that would require going over every single EBS and BRS allocation per market. If people are interested in it then they are free to ask and it can be looked up but I doubt anyone wants to do it for every single region (EBS leases are a pain in the butt). 

Slightly off topic, do premier sponsors have access to which towers have Band 41 active? I didn't see it in the regular sponsors map section. 

24 minutes ago, RightNow said:

Slightly off topic, do premier sponsors have access to which towers have Band 41 active? I didn't see it in the regular sponsors map section. 

Some information but not comprehensive. 

• Like 1

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

6 hours ago, shaferz said:

Bumping again - new (replacement) MB arrived Friday.  We were gone this weekend, so i just now got it set up.  Achieved a 'score' of 59.  MB has been configured and running now for 2 hours, and neither of our iphones will connect to it.  Guess I'll let it go overnight to ensure it does its update to the latest software, etc.  If we still aren't connected to it in the morning, then i guess it's a call back in to MB Support.  

I'm starting to wonder if it's our iPhones.  Has anyone in this thread had a consistent experience in regards to iphones connecting to their Magic Boxes?  Maybe iOS 11 will have a carrier settings update that helps?

got MB hooked up today. Nexus 5 Nexus 6, Nexus 6P all connected to it immediately. Pixel XL wouldn't connect to it after 30 minutes or so of trying.

6 hours ago, shaferz said:

I've seen some that take a while, Droid or iPhone alike. Try airplane mode on and off a few times or restart the phone. Wouldn't hurt to do PRL updates or whatnot. For the stubborn devices I've seen, airplane mode has done the trick.

Also note that in some cases it's the macro network not handing you off due to handoff thresholds for each band. They don't want people ping ponging so it may take some time for optimization of handoffs to occur. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shaferz said:

I have an iPhone and have been fortunate to not have any issues with it connecting to my MB at all.

I received my MB on Wednesday. After plugging it in and letting it do its thing for a couple of hours, I witnessed my signal strength go from -114 dBm to -69 dBm B41 while I was using my phone. Pretty neat to witness. Since then, my phone has automatically locked onto the MB B41 signal whenever I pull into my driveway.

I'm on a 6S+ and haven't had to reset my phone, do a PRL update, airplane mode, or anything else. My house is in a pocket of pretty weak B41, and B25 is weak indoors, so that could be why my phone is connecting so well to the MB. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I hope this helps and that your MB starts working out for you!

• Like 1