Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

A while back I had applied to get a Magic Box and was denied. But I logged the number they call me from into my contacts. Tonight I see a missed call from Sprint and that same number. So I call and explained to the rep that I had applied a while back, but didnt say I was denied. She checks my account logs and it states that I have been approved and will be getting a Magic Box in the next couple of weeks. That they will call me again or email with the instructions.

It's curious that I'm approved with the same home address. So I guess there is still hope for those that were denied previously.

TS out.

• Like 7

Yes - I did that based off of a post I saw on reddit (i think?)  It didn't make any difference.

And now an hour and 30 minutes after I hung up with the support guy, my phone is now connected to the MB again.  :lol::blink:

I have noticed, however, that the field test screen on my iphone (which is know is poor) seems to indicate that when I am connected to the MB, under Neighbor Measurements > Neighbor Cells List > 0 > there is nothing that populates there.  However, when I am connected to the macro, values populate.  Will be interesting to see if they populate over the next few days.  Ah well. I must be patient.   :)

For anyone following my story...

I pulled our camper to the campground today and brought the magic box along.  As soon as I got camp set up, I plugged the MB in next to a wall that is east facing since that is the closest macro.  Went back outside to finish setting all of our stuff up and about 20 minutes later, checked the MB.  It was connected to the macro with B25 as the relay (where our phones always bounced between 3G and B26!) - at this point, my phone was still not connected to the MB.

Left the campsite for about 2 hours to go home and get my family and our golf cart.  Upon return, my phone latched to the MB before I got out of the truck.  :o. Wife's phone still wouldn't connect.  Logged onto our sprint account and removed "wifi calling for iCloud device' from my wife's phone (support dude today said that might have been an issue with mine??). Waited 10 minutes and did a ##UPDATE# on her phone and then after another 45 minutes or so, she says "wow.. I have full signal!"

Not sure if it just took time or if the wifi calling on our lines had anything to do with it, but it seems to be working great for now!  

Previously would get speeds of 1-4Mbps down/ .5-1Mbps up on B26, and 3G was essentially useless for anything but text messaging.  Now sitting in the camper with full B41 signal from the MB and getting speeds of 22-26Mbps down and 4-8Mbps up.  Unreal.  Crossing my fingers that this thing is through with its 'growing pains' and is now ready to keep on kicking butt!

• Like 9

I should've left good enough alone. Since last Friday, my MB has not lost signal, my Note 5 hasn't d/c and recon not even once...for a solid week it's been on and working.

yesterday I got to being petty about the signal and noise and such...

And I moved it. I moved it 5" to 6" in the same area that it's in, but still moved it nonetheless...and that was a big mistake.

I've had nothing but disconnect/reconnect.

SCP is chiming like every couple minutes...

I finally had to look back through my photos and see where it was sitting when I had it working, and according to photo, I put it back in that spot. And so far, it's still holding it's signal and my Note hasn't d/c but once since I put it back...

When y'all got your MBs, did UPS just leave the box or did someone have to sign for it?  I'm in the city office today and won't be home until well after the delivery (10a-2p was quoted to me).  Hope I don't have to wait another day

• Like 1

I did not have to sign for it.

Both of mine were just plopped down on the porch and I had to get it myself after Ups notification of delivery.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Normally, I've spoken with UPS before a shipment ever gets to the truck to be delivered. So from the local UPS facility, down to the driver that runs my route, I am well-known. And they usually help me out with things since some of the stuff I get is time-sensitive.

• Like 1

When y'all got your MBs, did UPS just leave the box or did someone have to sign for it?  I'm in the city office today and won't be home until well after the delivery (10a-2p was quoted to me).  Hope I don't have to wait another day

Mine was just dropped at the front door.

They just left it for me. Depends on your local carrier though.

You can create a UPS My Choice account for free and request they leave packages, and even tell them where to put them at. Unless the shipper pays extra for signature confirmation. You also get notifications for incoming packages and status updates.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

They just left it for me. Depends on your local carrier though.

You can create a UPS My Choice account for free and request they leave packages, and even tell them where to put them at. Unless the shipper pays extra for signature confirmation. You also get notifications for incoming packages and status updates.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a My Choice, i checked the delivery info and signature wasn't requested anywhere.  I can't think of a time that UPS has made me sign for anything.

The MB was on the porch when I got home, setup and config took about 15 minutes, now just waiting for a device to connect to it. My Nexus 6p and Galaxy Tab E haven't figured it out yet.dcfef680f9aa18be323cd6c0276ad65b.jpg1923d95892d04a5987a16ca6344a6b40.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've been trying to keep up with this thread as much as possible, and don't remember seeing it mentioned, but what should I do when I'm going through the initialization process and I get: "Error. Initialization process timed out. Press TRY AGAIN at new location or SHUTDOWN the device."? Does this mean the location doesn't work and I need to move it? I have gotten this error three times now after getting to 20% and sitting there for about 20 minutes or so. Have restarted the device and tried TRY AGAIN a couple of times.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I've been trying to keep up with this thread as much as possible, and don't remember seeing it mentioned, but what should I do when I'm going through the initialization process and I get: "Error. Initialization process timed out. Press TRY AGAIN at new location or SHUTDOWN the device."? Does this mean the location doesn't work and I need to move it? I have gotten this error three times now after getting to 20% and sitting there for about 20 minutes or so. Have restarted the device and tried TRY AGAIN a couple of times.

-Anthony

Getting the same here in Hickory, NC (Office) and Conover, NC (Home).  The Charlotte market must not be ready, despite the Sprint Executive Relations gentleman saying my business address was available for the MB in Hickory.  I was shocked that I got my MB the same week I contacted Sprint via the booster email to request it after being originally turned down.

• Like 1

Getting the same here in Hickory, NC (Office) and Conover, NC (Home).  The Charlotte market must not be ready, despite the Sprint Executive Relations gentleman saying my business address was available for the MB in Hickory.  I was shocked that I got my MB the same week I contacted Sprint via the booster email to request it after being originally turned down.

I had the exact same thing happen. The gentleman emailed me on Tuesday saying it should be here in 6-7 days and the MB got here this afternoon. I've found that if I don't touch it, the MB will just restart the initialization process at 20% when it fails, so I'm just gonna let it sit forever until it works. Lol. Hopefully it will activate at some point.

-Anthony

• Like 1

-Anthony

Uh.... 

The Magic Box explicitly told you the location would not work and since restarting doesn't work you probably should  move the unit to another location. 

• Like 4

I had the exact same thing happen. The gentleman emailed me on Tuesday saying it should be here in 6-7 days and the MB got here this afternoon. I've found that if I don't touch it, the MB will just restart the initialization process at 20% when it fails, so I'm just gonna let it sit forever until it works. Lol. Hopefully it will activate at some point.

-Anthony

I may give that a try. The e-Ink screen is a bit frustrating that it doesn't go blank.  It just retains the last screen that was up on the display until it refreshes with something different.

I took my MB outside in clear view of the sky and line-of-sight of two Sprint towers and the MB still didn't connect after three attempts.  It just stays at 20% until it asks me if I want to shut down or try again.

• Like 1

I may give that a try. The e-Ink screen is a bit frustrating that it doesn't go blank.  It just retains the last screen that was up on the display until it refreshes with something different.

I took my MB outside in clear view of the sky and line-of-sight of two Sprint towers and the MB still didn't connect after three attempts.  It just stays at 20% until it asks me if I want to shut down or try again.

Does it give you and "Error Code 30" message when failing at 20%.

Since he is having the same issue as me, no, it's not giving an error code. It just says that the initialization process "timed out" and asks whether we want to restart the process or shut down the device.

-Anthony

• Like 1

No, exactly what Anthony said above is what happens to mine.  I'm letting the battery drain completely on mine just to see if that makes any difference.