Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

We received a call saying we were approved for one magic box today; it will ship in the fall. We are not sure to disregard as we have received 2 correspondence stating that we were ineligible at home.

I applied for two locations for our businesess and both were denied as well, one location is by our 8x8 site. I re applied last night, we have like 5 locations along the grand strand so maybe I should email the booster folks for clarity.

Actually thought I would get denied, the towers near me don't all include band 26...one of three has it. Only two of three have 5x5 band 25...and no band 41...

Actually the business location I requested seems more sensible than my residence...because I can get LTE depending on where I am...

I am not sure on it yet as I just did the request this week...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It's quite possible that they are including areas that are just about to receive B41 in their formulas over who will receive a MB or not.  But we just might be giving them too much credit on how it is decided.

Robert

• Like 5

My magic box was working decent but now it's preferring b25 over b41 for some reason and speeds plummeted from 15-30 mbps down to 0.5-1.5 down and 10 up. The strangest part is I turned off the magic box and b25(10×10)was doing over 15 mbps down and around 5 up. Magic box to me slightly increases ping, decreases download and drastically increases upload. I kind of have mixed feelings about the magic box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My magic box was working decent but now it's preferring b25 over b41 for some reason and speeds plummeted from 15-30 mbps down to 0.5-1.5 down and 10 up. The strangest part is I turned off the magic box and b25(10×10)was doing over 15 mbps down and around 5 up. Magic box to me slightly increases ping, decreases download and drastically increases upload. I kind of have mixed feelings about the magic box.

Welcome to the well known Band 41 - Band 25 drop issue. Guess what delayed MBs being shipped for so long. 

Temp solution is to reboot or reset the thing. 

Welcome to the well known Band 41 - Band 25 drop issue. Guess what delayed MBs being shipped for so long.

Temp solution is to reboot or reset the thing.

I rebooted it and it happened again. It was fine for the first few days. Actually I just noticed today. I just got back from Charleston S.C. and now it refuses to keep b41. I have it turned off at the moment. Network is doing better without it.

I rebooted it and it happened again. It was fine for the first few days. Actually I just noticed today. I just got back from Charleston S.C. and now it refuses to keep b41. I have it turned off at the moment. Network is doing better without it.

Multiple reboots / resets needed. The relay is very finicky. I think my record is about 5 days before it dropped to 25. 

Also contact the MB support number too. The more people inquire about the issue, the more resources that are likely to be given to rectify this issue. 

• Like 1

Is a software fix on the way?

Don't know if this is legit or not, but I heard someone that was related with someone (reddit poster) working on the MB project that they are in the process of pushing an update to fix the issue very very soon.

• Like 2

Is a software fix on the way?

She just gave me a tip: if it seems to start slowing down - reboot. It's a known issue that it drops to band 25 (instead of LTE 41) when it 'thinks' there are issues. They're working to push out an update that'll start in the next 24 hours that'll fix it. Part of the joys of Sprint wanting to get them built and shipping before everything was 100%, though being 98% is pretty good.

Got shipment notification last night - our MB will be here tomorrow via UPS.   :)  FWIW, our local tower about a mile away (line of sight through some trees)  is a B41(2xca), b25 (10X10 + 5x5)), and B26 tower.

If I am in my garage, I can sometimes grab onto B41.  If I am in the house, B41 drops and my phone goes to B25 (usually the 10x10), and I rarely see B26.  If I go to the basement, phone holds on to LTE for dear life, but normally drops down to 3G, which seems to have gotten slower and slower over the past year.  I have great in-home wifi, but there are a few houses on our block that are Sprint customers, and our block happens to fall smack dab in between two sectors. 

I plan to put our magic box in a 2nd floor window that faces the local tower.  Will be interesting to see if it is able to grab a solid B41 link from there.  

Also something that I got via email from someone within Sprint:  "A window facing this address will be best suited for the Magic Box & please know speeds will be higher greater than 10 feet away from the box."    Interesting tidbit for anyone running speed tests right next to the MB.   :)

Still no shipping notification for me, got my call in late June.  Hopefully I'll see something soon.  Being peak summer, my B41 is struggling due to tree foliage.

The sooner I can get consistent B41, the better :)

I talked to someone who works with the Magic Boxes and was told my address no longer works, but he's willing to send me one if it to see if it will work or not.  It should be here 9/1. So just an fyi for those who haven't heard anything, there might be a change of status since there is a new model that the network team is using which can make your address eligible and who's not.

Edited by SeanK_
  • Like 5

My Magic Box is operating back on Band 41 too!   Am happier now.   Speeds have gone up finally to at least as good at before without the MB...during early morning tests.    Seems to be now locked on B41 from the Macro.    Took some time to get there on it's own...  So far so good.   Phone's battery life seems to be much better at home too.

• Like 2

My magical box shipped!

Magical Box?  You are getting a Chinese knock off.

AJ

• Like 2

I think any address that shows B41 coverage on their map qualifies. I put in my address in Berkeley (a block from a B41 site with excellent coverage throughout the house) and it qualifies. I think they're doing this because they can't predict indoor coverage, so they're assuming if you're asking for a MB, you prob need one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that is not the case.  We have 4 towers in my town,  3 with band 41.  No addresses here qualify.  Is tied to available band 41 spectrum?  They're rolling out the 3rd band 41 carrier here,  so would it mean that a 4th is not available for a magic box carrier?