Official Magic Box discussion thread

lilotimz

So---tell us why you need a magic box.  You already have B-41 in your home and it sounds like it is going to get even better. Am I missing something?

And why that's a better fit than where I have LTE all around outside my house... but drop to extremely weak and useless 3G inside. (Yes, I have WiFi, but Mediacom likes to do a lot of maintenance around the time I get home at night ~midnight).

So---tell us why you need a magic box. You already have B-41 in your home and it sounds like it is going to get even better. Am I missing something?

An increase in a very clean and strong signal level from the MB does wonders for local data speeds and UE battery life.

A stronger cleaner connection is almost always better for user experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And why that's a better fit than where I have LTE all around outside my house... but drop to extremely weak and useless 3G inside. (Yes, I have WiFi, but Mediacom likes to do a lot of maintenance around the time I get home at night ~midnight).

I can understand why YOU would benefit.  I was really asking PDXmike who stated he already has b-41 inside his home.

An increase in a very clean and strong signal level from the MB does wonders for local data speeds and UE battery life.

A stronger cleaner connection is almost always better for user experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You are correct in everything you mention. But I am surprised that they are going to furnish PDXmike a magic box when he states that he already has b-41 coverage inside his home.

So---tell us why you need a magic box.  You already have B-41 in your home and it sounds like it is going to get even better. Am I missing something?

Yes, I receive a B41 signal in my house, but it's rarely stronger than -115 dBm. The Magic Box is meant to fill in B41 coverage gaps and weak signal areas, making my place a perfect candidate. As Tim mentions above, the stronger, cleaner signal will do wonders for battery life and overall user experience in my corner of the neighborhood. Also, the MB will keep my family's four phones from camping on B25 as they currently do now.

As to why others who seemingly fit the criteria may have been denied, I have no idea. I just filled out the application and crossed my fingers.

• Like 1

Yes, I receive a B41 signal in my house, but it's rarely stronger than -115 dBm. The Magic Box is meant to fill in B41 coverage gaps and weak signal areas, making my place a perfect candidate. As Tim mentions above, the stronger, cleaner signal will do wonders for battery life and overall user experience in my corner of the neighborhood. Also, the MB will keep my family's four phones from camping on B25 as they currently do now.

As to why others who seemingly fit the criteria may have been denied, I have no idea. I just filled out the application and crossed my fingers.

OK, good answer.  I would try to obtain one too if the B-41 was at a -115 level.

Sprint must have some algorithm to decide priority for approval. I'm thinking it includes customer loyalty/longevity, possible other nearby Sprint subs that might benefit, neighborhood density and even future B41 plans nearby (as we have seen some approved without any B41 live locally now). Observationally, I think we can deduct there is much more to the approval decisions than just when they were applied and proximity to existing B41.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 4

Sprint must have some algorithm to decide priority for approval. I'm thinking it includes customer loyalty/longevity, possible other nearby Sprint subs that might benefit, neighborhood density and even future B41 plans nearby (as we have seen some approved without any B41 live locally now). Observationally, I think we can deduct there is much more to the approval decisions than just when they were applied and proximity to existing B41.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Something like this...

0fd0057.jpg

• Like 8

Just got the call approving me for a MB. They approved it for the address on the account rather than the address I applied with. The account address barely gets B26 and 1x800, not even B25, yet it somehow qualified [emoji23]. Had them update it to the address where I'll actually be using it.

I had the same issue the first time they opened applications; they only saw the account address not the application address. So for anyone getting denied, make sure you verify that they're using the right one.

Estimated delivery is "6 weeks to fall, based on how early you applied", and they'll send an email before shipping it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just got the call approving me for a MB. They approved it for the address on the account rather than the address I applied with.

This actually begs a question, and probably stupid, but....if/when you get a MB, can you actually set it up initially (or reset/set it up again after initial setup) in a different location?  Or in other words, are there some internal pre-ship setup done that the end recipient can't access such that its somehow tied to a specific macro site they determine based on your home location?

Reason I ask - if I were somehow approved (which I don't expect personally), I would be very sorely tempted to set it up in the office I occupy at work even moreso than at home.  Signal drops in and out all day here.

This actually begs a question, and probably stupid, but....if/when you get a MB, can you actually set it up initially (or reset/set it up again after initial setup) in a different location? Or in other words, are there some internal pre-ship setup done that the end recipient can't access such that its somehow tied to a specific macro site they determine based on your home location?

Reason I ask - if I were somehow approved (which I don't expect personally), I would be very sorely tempted to set it up in the office I occupy at work even moreso than at home. Signal drops in and out all day here.

Yes it should work. It's not tied to any specific site, just basically factory reset it and go through the config process in the new location if you move it.

The MB I currently have previously belonged to a Sprint RF engineer in Texas. It integrated into the network in Pittsburgh just fine using the correct EARFCN. That being said, there is still some kind of flag on my MB that is allowing it to get beta software updates. I'm currently on 15.15.10.113 (pushed early this month), while the latest official build is 15.15.10.63. I previously was updated to 15.15.10.93 the day after I set it up in May, so the flag is definitely still present.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 6

If you haven't looked at the magic box latest news recently, this was posted.

July 28, 2017
  • Sprint is on target to launch the Sprint Magic Box late this summer.
  • Magic Boxes will begin shipping to customers on the waitlist at the time of launch. If you’ve already been contacted and were placed on the Magic Box waitlist, you should expect to receive a Magic Box within 2-4 weeks of launch. Watch for more communication from us regarding your order.
  • Registrations submitted through 7/5 are being reviewed and contacted. You should hear from us in the coming weeks via phone or email.

Check back periodically for more updates.

• Like 5

Has anyone applied on the first day and still not received a call yet? (like me)

I did receive an email after applying.

I applied about 10 days after.  Go the call on the 21st of July.

Send Sprint an email or call.  Do you remember what phone number you entered in the information?  Is there a chance it was entered incorrectly?

If you put in my zip (06255) on sprints coverage map you can see I don't get service at my house. Do you think a MB would get a signal?

If you don't get service, you would not be approved. It's not likely a MagicBox would be able to pull in enough signal to work. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

what does it say? i still see July 28th in the yellow box as the last update.

August 11, 2017

Magic Boxes will begin shipping to eligible and qualified customers on the waitlist next week. If you’ve already been contacted and were placed on the Magic Box waitlist, you should expect to receive a Magic Box within 2-4 weeks. Watch for an email from us regarding your order.Registrations submitted before 8/11 are being reviewed and contacted. You should hear from us in the coming weeks via phone or email.

Check back periodically for more updates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

what does it say? i still see July 28th in the yellow box as the last update.

U are getting a cached copy. Newest version indicates possible shipments in a week or so for some people. Others might wait a little longer. Posting dated Aug 11.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk