Vpn/gaming router

Luuminator

So I am in the market for a new wireless router. The details about network usage and other details. The house is a ranch home with basement.The router will need to be in the basement.There are 3 mmo gamers in my house, but my computer and my wife's will be connected by ethernet cable. I would prefer to have wireless access outside with or without a booster or access point.

Now I would like to use a VPN router but with the mmo I play, does not support its players using a VPN, and the authentication servers will always think someone is trying to hack my account and force me to reset my password all the time and enter an authentication code. So the major question with a VPN router is can I disable the use of VPN side of the router when playing my mmo?

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks for your time,

Luumi

smallnetbuilder.net is a solid resource.

I recently got my mom a TP-Link Archer 2600 that was on sale for $100.  I was extremely impressed with it.  Even supports MU-MIMO.

Not sure if this one supports VPN stuff or not.  Though a lot of routers have VPN capabilities, you only use the VPN functionality when you are not on your network.  Say like at a coffee shop, it allows you to VPN to home home router to give you a more secure connection on the coffee shops wifi.

Though you can't go wrong with Asus or Netgear as well.

I've mentioned it on here before but I try to go with a router that's compatible with www.dd-wrt.com firmware (or one of the many branches from it tomato, openwrt, etc.)

Depending on your level of tech and how comfortable you are with flashing custom firmware on a router you can get ones that support lots of features and I had a VPN running for a time on mine. One of the tomato routers even will allow you to have I believe 2 different VPNs up and running. you can even set it up so if you VPN in you'd be on a different subnet than the rest of your home network.

My goal was to have one VPN that I'd use for myself if I needed to get access to my network or resources. Then another VPN that would be on a different subnet and isolate it from the rest of the network and then let others - say friends and family - use it as a VPN that way they'd have the security of a VPN on public wifi and yet not have access to all my stuff.

Probably a bit more of an answer that you were looking :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've mentioned it on here before but I try to go with a router that's compatible with www.dd-wrt.com firmware (or one of the many branches from it tomato, openwrt, etc.)

Depending on your level of tech and how comfortable you are with flashing custom firmware on a router you can get ones that support lots of features and I had a VPN running for a time on mine. One of the tomato routers even will allow you to have I believe 2 different VPNs up and running. you can even set it up so if you VPN in you'd be on a different subnet than the rest of your home network.

My goal was to have one VPN that I'd use for myself if I needed to get access to my network or resources. Then another VPN that would be on a different subnet and isolate it from the rest of the network and then let others - say friends and family - use it as a VPN that way they'd have the security of a VPN on public wifi and yet not have access to all my stuff.

Probably a bit more of an answer that you were looking :)

I'm curious as to which router this was. I'm looking at buying a new core router and this setup with the vpns sounds close to my ideal setup

I'm curious as to which router this was. I'm looking at buying a new core router and this setup with the vpns sounds close to my ideal setup

I'm not currently using a high end router. The one with the VPN is actually a thrift store pickup that was $5. It doesn't have GB, doesn't have a USB port etc.

Model number is a linksys e900.

And I'm currently running tomato by shibby

http://tomato.groov.pl/

If you're looking for a more high end router that has great cababilities look over on slickdeals.net and search for post mentioning dd-wrt. That's where I've learned most of what I know.

This router has popped up from time to time over there https://slickdeals.net/f/10017620-asus-tm-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-open-box-57-free-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Here's a better link discussing this router in more info and why it's so great and changing the firmware instruction.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping

(yes it's a T-Mobile discounted router and they're talking about modding the stock firmware so I'm not sure if I'm pushing any SRGRU rules or policies by discussing it here)  but this router was top of the line a couple years back and it's still within the top 10 or so routers out there today. Even if you were the high end gamer this router would probably be just fine. Just search around for that router on slickdeals and you'll find instructions to roll it back from the TMobile firmware to the stock firmware and then from stock you then flash one of these custom firmwares and go from there and have fun.

I don't know if it'll support the exact version of tomato I'm using for VPNs and such but I'd guess there are other versions of dd-wrt, openwrt, merlin that it would support it (along with running a VPN) and you could do a whole ton of fun stuff with it. Stick with a popular router like this one and ask around on slickdeals and see what other open source firmware (and the build number) people are running and how stable they run.

But back to my current router (e900) I'm doing stuff on a $5 router from a thrift store that you'd never be able to do with any other router that would be anywhere close to the price.

Open source can be buggy and have issues. Since it's sort of like a patchwork of different people and it's spread across different brands and models of routers. Yes sometimes there might be a bug so you then load up a different build number of the firmware until you find a firmware that works.

I leave the thing running and my e900 has been going for about 2 years with no restarts. Running a VPN, 4 different wifi networks each mated with an individual subnet and a back port of the router so it works great for my needs. If I was torrenting or doing other high demand stuff this router might not cut it but for basic web browsing and netflix and such this router is golden :)