4k Televisions

Arysyn

4k isnt such a reach these days, my laptop can do it at a pinch (intel i7 6820hk, 32gb, nvidia 980 i think) but emulating dreamcast games at 4k? You are probably going to really look into how well it can use the resources you throw at it, i.e. does it need more cores, or less of them but faster etc same for the graphics. One thing I found was gaming at 1080p with more detail turned on and at a higher frame rate seemed better than 4k with a little less detail.

Don't go for too small a case though, I know they can look cool but you want awesome airflow once you start racking in some high end cpu, ram and gfx cards. Good luck, if I get the time I'm going to try a ps3 emulator on my laptop.

Emulators are great things to have. Its something I really miss from having Android, as its been months I've been without it while having the Lumia. I loved being able to play old Playstation games in the car. Makes me look forward to getting the HTC U11 for Verizon. One thing I recommend highly to anyone who likes emulators on Android, is to get a Moga Pro controller. It has a built-in stand that holds the device, while having large size buttons and easy to operate analog control stick.

For emulators on a pc, I suppose it also depends on the game too. For my use, things were still too slow on the 700 series Nvidia Alienware I had a few years ago, and the screen size was 14-inch on the notebook too. I didn't think it should be that demanding, but it was. However, something really messed up badly on the computer after I upgraded the Windows from 7 to 10, so I had to return it to the store, which couldn't even fully fix whatever problem it developed.

So, I've been stuck with my very old Asus ROG with a 560 Nvidia card that gets around 25fps on 720p while playing Shenmue with low settings. I really want something more powerful than that, especially for the 4k tv I'm going to get.

Richy, in your opinion, if you look on the CyberPowerPC website for the Syber Vapor PC system, is that a workable size for a 1080TI or TitanXP? The other case size I'm considering if I don't end up buying directly from these companies, is something like the Puget Systems Echo Pro or Origin PC's Chronos. To me, the Chronos looks like the least likely to have overheating issues, but then again the EchoPro despite being smaller, has what appears to be several cooling fans.

Richy, in your opinion, if you look on the CyberPowerPC website for the Syber Vapor PC system, is that a workable size for a 1080TI or TitanXP? The other case size I'm considering if I don't end up buying directly from these companies, is something like the Puget Systems Echo Pro or Origin PC's Chronos. To me, the Chronos looks like the least likely to have overheating issues, but then again the EchoPro despite being smaller, has what appears to be several cooling fans.

I have a psp emulator on my phone, I agree, I love it when I'm stuck in some HR training session. 

As for cases, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Cases/742 is a great resource. Not every case that is large or looks cool will actually give you the best results. I had a quick look at that site and the case looks to be about xbox sized, I guess if you move the air quickly enough and with good airflow then it might be possible. A larger case would give you more upgrade options, like running dual cards in sli. I got an alienware 17 laptop and so far its been a dream, theres pretty much nothing it can't cope with. Right now its eating up Warthunder at 4k. Admittedly its churning out more heat than a nuclear power station but I have a newfound respect for dell \ alienware. You can also get some crazy deals on their outlet store. 

• Like 1

I've decided against getting the Sony Z9D for a very good reason anyone here who may be interested still in 3d ought to know. There are two televisions currently that have some form of 3d to them. One is the Z9D and the other is the LG C6p, which the C6p set I had, was the one with the image retention issues. I've decided that it may just be I had a bad set, and to try another one, and for good reason.

Unlike the C6p, the Z9D does not allow for 2d to 3d upconversion. It only will show 3d on native 3d video sources. Whereas, the C6p will allow for any content, including video streaming services, video games, computer applications, etc, to convert from 2d to 3d on the television, and does a pretty good job at it too. Of course, this isn't important to everyone, but to those it is, I figured to mention it here.

• 4 weeks later...

Falling prices.  Watch your head.

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-oled-tv-hits-price-low-for-2017-model-55-inch-now-2300/

In related news, Arysyn still is on the fence.

AJ

• Like 1

Falling prices. Watch your head.

https://www.cnet.com/news/lg-oled-tv-hits-price-low-for-2017-model-55-inch-now-2300/

In related news, Arysyn still is on the fence.

AJ

Thank you for sharing the link, AJ.

Regarding my tv decision, I did actually make a decision, just that I'm waiting for the store I ordered it at to get it in stock officially from their warehouse. They apparently are not absolutely certain it will come in though, or if it will be new. If it isn't in, or new, then I'll have to go with my second choice at another store. The one I'm waiting for is the 65"-inch LG C6P, which if I get I'll just have to be extra careful with regarding image retention, though most people think the issues I had with the image retention on the 55"-inch were set related, not a common occurrence..

If that doesn't get in, or it turns out they only could get a used unit, the other tv is the 75"-inch Samsung KS9800.

Quick update -

The store got the tv in today. So now I need to get the defective set picked up by the other store (the one with the image retention issues), and then get my other table delivered that has been in storage holding for over a month now while I've been undecided about the tv. Once I get the table and tv set-up, I might have some computer questions to ask here on S4GRU, as I need to get a new PC.

However, now that I'm getting the 65"-inch LG C6P, I'm planning on getting the LG V30.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about getting the Sony A1E for my bedroom, after seeing it at the CES show this year. I still have a old Panasonic Plasma 1080p tv. That my wife says is perfectly fine, and shoots me down every time I mention getting a new tv. I keep praying for the tv to fall of the wall, but it never does.

On a side note I saw a few 8k tv's at the show too. They were playing 1080, 4k, and 8k native content, all I can say is wow, the picture was phenomenal, couldn't believe how much sharper, and more detail there was. I was all for a getting a 4k tv, though now, in the back of my head I'm wondering if 8k tv's will be coming out soon enough for the masses.

Also looks like Sharp will start producing oled tv panels next year, giving competition to LG. Hopefully, some new innovations come out, and cause a nice price drop on oled tvs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting the Sony A1E for my bedroom, after seeing it at the CES show this year. I still have a old Panasonic Plasma 1080p tv. That my wife says is perfectly fine, and shoots me down every time I mention getting a new tv. I keep praying for the tv to fall of the wall, but it never does.

On a side note I saw a few 8k tv's at the show too. They were playing 1080, 4k, and 8k native content, all I can say is wow, the picture was phenomenal, couldn't believe how much sharper, and more detail there was. I was all for a getting a 4k tv, though now, in the back of my head I'm wondering if 8k tv's will be coming out soon enough for the masses.

Also looks like Sharp will start producing oled tv panels next year, giving competition to LG. Hopefully, some new innovations come out, and cause a nice price drop on oled tvs.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The 8k televisions not being too far out from release is one reason I decided it was better for me to get a less expensive OLED from last year that still has 3D. In my opinion, the 2017 OLEDs while they are very good tvs, are sort of in a middle stage right now between the reportedly near-perfect stage OLEDs will be in next year supposedly finally resolving the few issues they've had in the past several years that gradually have got better, but next year is suppose to be the major showcase of the technology.

Then there are reports of Samsung's emissive form of QLED that some believe may reveal next year. My opinion is there will be one very expensive model of it to compete against OLED, while becoming more standard high-end in 2019, then mainstream in 2020. I think also in 2020 is when the high-end 8k tvs will come out. The may be one in or two in 2019, but I think it will mainly be 2020 and beyond. 2018 will be the year 4K OLEDS are going to be huge, while emissive QLED becomes major competition in 2019.

2021 and 2022 will likely be the years 8K gets developed between OLED and emissive QLED, and then sometime around then MLED will be released, though I think that is going to start off in mobile devices first from what I've read about it online. MLED sounds as it will become the ideal mainstream standard that fully replaces LCDs.