How to Spot Mini Macro on Macro setups (Nokia)

lilotimz

These setups consist of a Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 eNB pole mounted on a macro site connected to sector antennas. Each mini macro is capable of up to 40 MHz of total LTE spectrum for 20+20 B41 carrier aggregation and are now being utilized to bring 2.5 on air if 8T8R equipment is unavailable or does not make monetary sense. 

Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 Triband Antenna on Ericsson NV Macro
(note decaport triband antenna & Nokia Mini Macro)

5IZ5kF5.jpg

(credit mdob07)

Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 on Ericsson NV Macro 
(note 2 coax rf jumpers coming off the top of the eNB)

Pn8j1Bw.jpg

credit: mdob07

Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 on Samsung NV Macro 

yZze13F.jpg

credit: dkyeager

Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 on Alcatel-Lucent NV Macro 

jIQn7OG.jpg

credit: atomic50

Clearwire  Mini Macro Conversion 

M6imTig.jpg

6v4BpXs.jpg

credits: dkyeager

• Like 7

I've been seeing those around lately. What are they doing with them? Replacing clear LTE sites? All the ones I've seen went on existing sites.

Adding 2.5 to macro sites on the cheap since they can't afford to purchase and deploy every site with 8T8R gear. 

Adding 2.5 to macro sites on the cheap.

Must be replacing some Clear sites here since we have 8T8R stuff on everything else. Maybe even some USCC/Nextel conversions I guess.

Must be replacing some Clear sites here since we have 8T8R stuff on everything else. Maybe even some USCC/Nextel conversions I guess.

They have been used to replace Huawei equipment that was only capable of 1 carrier. They should not be replacing the Samsung 2xCA capable Clear equipment with these, as there would not be much if any benefit. I suppose it's possible they're adding these in place of Clear equipment that was never converted to B41. As Tim said they're mostly being used where 8T8Rs don't make sense yet. 

I doubt it as Samsung doesn't really need to replace it's own 2xCA B41 clear equipment they use on their Samsung clear LTE sites. It's a sidegrade at best and downgrade at worst. 

They did use these extensively for Clear Huawei conversions last year. Now they're using these to deploy new 2.5. 

I doubt it as Samsung doesn't really need to replace it's own 2xCA B41 clear equipment they use on their Samsung clear LTE sites. It's a sidegrade at best and downgrade at worst. 

They did use these extensively for Clear Huawei conversions last year. Now they're using these to deploy new 2.5.

That makes sense. I only see these in the city and suburbs where Clear existed, they probably went up last year some time. I was puzzled what these new short panels on what were obviously sprint sites were until you made this thread.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I only see these in the city and suburbs where Clear existed, they probably went up last year some time. I was puzzled what these new short panels on what were obviously sprint sites were until you made this thread.

They come in several varieties. Some are connected to 2T2R antennas, others are connected to 4t4r antennas which in the future they can add another mini macro to add add more capacity and very recently we found mini macros connected to 8t8r antennas....

[emoji19]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I actually look at this as an opportunity for Sprint to add B41 to places that would otherwise not have the return on investment justification.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

#rachet

I actually look at this as an opportunity for Sprint to add B41 to places that would otherwise not have the return on investment justification.

Can confirm -- currently living in Ratchet City, and we didn't see any band 41 LTE anywhere in the market until these started popping up this year.

• Like 4

Can confirm -- currently living in Ratchet City, and we didn't see any band 41 LTE anywhere in the market until these started popping up this year.

I was mostly kidding. Taking a satirical stab at an unfortunate financial situation. We can cool our jets.

Given this use case, I'd really, really love to see these blanket Lexington, KY in band 41 goodness as they really need it. I have heard some isolated reports of folks connecting to it but whenever I am in town I cannot seem to find any. As a rapidly growing city and home to a major university, they could use the added capacity these mini macros would bring.

Say what you want about the NSN mini macros but I am very impressed with the coverage they put out,  thanks to these mini macro deployments my home town is almost blanketed with 2.5.  

These mini's 256QAM capable? I also see there are four ports on the bottom of the antenna's only 2 are being used.  Are the antenna's themselves 4T4R capable, or is that for another technology?

Yeah, places where just ~160MBps is needed, makes sense.  Also pump out fast B41 expansion.  Helpful in areas with skinny B25 channels.  Gotta remember it is still 40MHz worth of spectrum! Just wish they did 4T4R to help cell edge that much more. Use the big 8T8R gear for places that really need it most. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 3:41 PM, lilotimz said:

Nokia Mini Macro 2.5 Triband Antenna on Ericsson NV Macro
(note decaport triband antenna & Nokia Mini Macro)

5IZ5kF5.jpg

(credit mdob07)

@lilotimz do you know the manufacturers/models of the 10-port triband  antennas Sprint has been deploying? This photo shows one of them and there is another more boxy-looking one I've seen as well. 

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

@lilotimz do you know the manufacturers/models of the 10-port triband  antennas Sprint has been deploying? This photo shows one of them and there is another more boxy-looking one I've seen as well. 

APX/Commscope/KMW/Kathrein

--- It's off the shelf parts mostly!

1 hour ago, lilotimz said:

APX/Commscope/KMW/Kathrein

--- It's off the shelf parts mostly!

Interesting. I'm mostly curious about the rounder ones.

Their 2500 coverage is not great but their 800/1900 range/propagation is incredible. They are much better than the old PCS-only antennas and even put the brand new Verizon Amphenol panels to shame. 

Interesting. I'm mostly curious about the rounder ones.
Their 2500 coverage is not great but their 800/1900 range/propagation is incredible. They are much better than the old PCS-only antennas and even put the brand new Verizon Amphenol panels to shame. 
Yeah they were definitely optimized for low mid bands plus they're much newer designs than most of the dual band NV hex ports.

I wonder how the new octoports would compare in terms of low mid propagation...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk