Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

Okay so after 9 days of experience I can say this. HPUE might be legit or the radio on this phone is really good but....only on b41 only mode. With only the b41 radio I am getting it in places my Note 5 and GS7 can not in b41 only mode and usuable at that. Just a example at the park I go to I can't get b41 on the other phones with b41 mode active but on the S8+ I'm on b41 with speeds between 8-30 and sometimes even 50mbps. A radio update can make this phone prefer b41 more and then it can possibly be crowned the LTE Plus champ!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 6

My S8+ is holding onto weak Band 26 inside a building where my Nexus 6 would have no signal/roam. I don't know if it's due to recent site optimization or a generally better radio inside the phone but I'm really impressed.

• Like 2

Okay so after 9 days of experience I can say this. HPUE might be legit or the radio on this phone is really good but....only on b41 only mode. With only the b41 radio I am getting it in places my Note 5 and GS7 can not in b41 only mode and usuable at that. Just a example at the park I go to I can't get b41 on the other phones with b41 mode active but on the S8+ I'm on b41 with speeds between 8-30 and sometimes even 50mbps. A radio update can make this phone prefer b41 more and then it can possibly be crowned the LTE Plus champ!

Hopefully the extra B41 LTE range from the benefit of HPUE is as advertised where it is about 90% of B25 LTE range.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

For those seeing any sort of lag like I was, try not using Swiftkey keyboard. Gboard is behaving a lot better overall. No lag in recents key, etc.

Does anyone have problems with Gboard not responding after leaving the keyboard open and letting the phone sleep then waking up the phone? I can only type after clicking out of keyboard and clicking the text field to bring the keyboard back.

I've tried uninstalling and using the Samsung keyboard and it doesn't do it to the Samsung keyboard.

I also got notification that my Gear VR shipped!

Does anyone have problems with Gboard not responding after leaving the keyboard open and letting the phone sleep then waking up the phone? I can only type after clicking out of keyboard and clicking the text field to bring the keyboard back.

I've tried uninstalling and using the Samsung keyboard and it doesn't do it to the Samsung keyboard.

That was happening to me for a long while, and that is why I no longer use gboard, back to the Samsung keyboard.

That was happening to me for a long while, and that is why I no longer use gboard, back to the Samsung keyboard.

I thought it was the beta version at first, but nope. I don't have that issue on my S7 Edge.

Well shoot, haven't run into that yet. At least Gboard is behaving better than Swiftkey for me now. Still wish I could get the keyboard a little smaller than the smallest setting, but this screen is so tall it's okay.

I see there is a report (1) of burn-in of the home button from the always on display. The interwebs are taking this and running with it, even if this 1 dutch report isn't even real... regardless I have to ask -- AOD is not new. Did the S7 ever have burn-in issues with its always on display? If S7 and other AMOLED phones didn't have issues, I don't know why people would worry so much about this one. I feel like some of these sites are just grabbing at straws to find problems when there really are none.

• Like 3

I see there is a report (1) of burn-in of the home button from the always on display. The interwebs are taking this and running with it, even if this 1 dutch report isn't even real... regardless I have to ask -- AOD is not new. Did the S7 ever have burn-in issues with its always on display? If S7 and other AMOLED phones didn't have issues, I don't know why people would worry so much about this one. I feel like some of these sites are just grabbing at straws to find problems when there really are none.

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure about if the newer AMOLED-equipped smartphones have any issues with burn-in or not. However, I went to a Best Buy last year during the late summer, I believe it was, and there were several AMOLED smartphones on display which had severe burn-in. It even gave me the idea to create a poll in the General Topics section asking for opinions between AMOLED and LCD.

Back then, I voted for LCD. I don't have a problem with OLED, and I actually prefer the imaging of OLED better than LCD, so long as its either based on RGB or on LG's white subpixels with RGB color filters. I very much dislike Samsung's use of Pentile and its Diamond Pixel counterpart variety. I don't like the warmish tint it produces. To me, its like having an annoying, headache-inducing, overwhelming amount of bass that colors the midrange audio with a boomy thickness to the sound.

Until Samsung goes back to using the much better Super AMOLED Plus displays, which feature the lovely true-to-life saturated colors based off of actual RGB subpixels, rather than hideous blobs of green diamond-shaped trixels all over the place, LCD is my preferred display of choice in smartphones.

Of course, televisions are a bit different, since OLED doesn't use Pentile in any form. So, I prefer the imaging and overall technological structure with its benefits in contrast with LED LCD. However, there is an issue of image retention with OLED, which if worsened over time, increases the risk of burn-in. Yet, the 2017 models are reportedly quite a bit less likely to have image retention, which even if it does happen, it shouldn't be as pronounced, nor last quite as long.

Again though, I'm not sure about Samsung's particular smartphone OLED technology updates for this year. Considering how bad things looked last year, they'd have to do alot to make it better from last

Finally found a spot where I can really test HPUE indoors. Site has B25/B25-2ndC/B26/B41-3xCA 

I will test one band at a time disabling the other 2 bands to see just how close B41 with HPUE is to B25

Will test all bands vs each other in terms of speed/stability and to see how the distance affects overall performance.

I'll hopefully have some results by tomorrow evening.

• Like 5

Finally found a spot where I can really test HPUE indoors. Site has B25/B25-2ndC/B26/B41-3xCA

I will test one band at a time disabling the other 2 bands to see just how close B41 with HPUE is to B25

Will test all bands vs each other in terms of speed/stability and to see how the distance affects overall performance.

I'll hopefully have some results by tomorrow evening.

You can test all you want, but the user experience will come down to where Sprint decides to set the B41 RSRP signal threshold for HPUE handsets.

Current non-HPUe devices drop B42 at -117 RSRP. For HPUE devices, it should be slightly lower.

You can test all you want, but the user experience will come down to where Sprint decides to set the B41 RSRP signal threshold for HPUE handsets.

Current non-HPUe devices drop B42 at -117 RSRP. For HPUE devices, it should be slightly lower.

On a galaxy s-7, I can occasionally hold onto a 117 signal on band 41 but only in a idle condition. If I try to actually use the data, I will drop to band 25 or maybe band 26.  At -115, I sometimes can hold on to an active data session, but it will be super slow and probably move to band 25 or 26. I do not have an S-8 to test, but I would hope that you would be able to hold and use the data connection at -115 or worse and actually have some decent speed. 

From what I have seen in testing -122 seems to be the ceiling. But I found a site that has almost no traffic after 11pm and has every piece of tech Sprint has put out. At -72 I hit about 200mbs around midnight.
  • Like 2