Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

It needs to not allow a call on a congested tower... currently it does and voice doesn't get transmitted. It works awesome on non-congested towers though.

My little neighborhood doesn't really ever get congested to the point where LTE isn't usable, but that's good to know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had a test call the jumped Access points and it held. Also RCS is in the Samsung Messaging app.

I was about to mention this. I thought it would be "Enhanced Messaging" like on older Samsung devices but it turns out it is RCS just like in the Android Messages app.

• Like 1

I was about to mention this. I thought it would be "Enhanced Messaging" like on older Samsung devices but it trns out it is RCS just like in the Android Messages app.

That's what I was thinking, but nope.

Well so far the call plus feature is a bust for me. But I blame that on the network in West Texas not being ready for it. I can hear people but they can't hear me. Hopefully I will have better luck in Houston when I get home tomorrow.

Calling Plus uses AMR-WB. Take a guess on what other carriers use for HD voice.

I was just saying there is no HD voice icon while using calling plus. The other carriers I thought used AMR-WB+?

I was just saying there is no HD voice icon while using calling plus. The other carriers I thought used AMR-WB+?

ATT, VZW, and T-mobile uses AMR-WB @ 12.65 kbps for cross carrier  HD voice compatibility. T-mobile is testing EVS codec as the next upgrade to HD voice for them. 

• Like 2

ATT, VZW, and T-mobile uses AMR-WB @ 12.65 kbps for cross carrier HD voice compatibility. T-mobile is testing EVS codec as the next upgrade to HD voice for them.

Oh so they just left the HD voice icon off. I knew there was a reason why it sounded just as good as HD voice.

ATT, VZW, and T-mobile uses AMR-WB @ 12.65 kbps for cross carrier HD voice compatibility. T-mobile is testing EVS codec as the next upgrade to HD voice for them.

So do we have cross compatibility for HD Voice?

It needs to not allow a call on a congested tower... currently it does and voice doesn't get transmitted. It works awesome on non-congested towers though.

They need QoS to make voice a priority over all other data traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm still aghast that Sprint did something not unique and intercompatible.

Did they change their Wi-Fi calling tech with this too or are they still special there??

And this too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Those errors are from enabling the root earfcn method in SCP I believe. They're unrelated to calling plus.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Had my first call on LTE, was Crystal clear I could definitely tell it was an HD call. My sister called me from a Verizon line I must say I'm impressed.

Oh and after reading the update log, I do seem to notice the phone is smoother than before, less frame drops. Performance improvements are always welcome.

• Like 4

Please do this at your own risk… These are S8 directions but you can find the files for S8+. I have compiled several great XDA articles to convert an unlocked Galaxy S8 from the unlocked version to the Sprint version. This is required for unlocked S8 users to use Calling Plus. I take no credit for these directions. Please thank the authors and support them. You can always convert the phone back to unlocked if you want. The base articles I used are as follows:

[snap.] Guide for Flashing Standard FW, Carrier Switching, and Flashing Unlocked FW

[HOW TO] Remove OEM Bloatware From S8/S8+

GUIDE" Flash back to Stock Sprint Galaxy S8 G950USQU1AQD9

This will WIPE YOUR PHONE. Please backup your data using Samsung Smart Switch and restore after… 

Prerequisites:

Samsung Drivers http://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/...er-for-windows

S8 Factory Binary https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120727548

Prince Comsy version of Odin https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591023225177749

Google Platform-Tools (ADB) https://dl.google.com/android/reposi...st-windows.zip

Canadian Firmware http://updato.com/firmware-archive-s...3AFA163EE8F90B

Odin https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=223

Steps:

1) Extract the downloaded Odin, S8 Factory Binary, the Prince Comsy version of Odin, Platform-Tools, and the Canadian firmware, to somewhere safe on your computer.

2) Turn off your S8.

3) Once off, hold the Power button, Volume Down button, and the Bixby button until you see a blue screen on your phone.

4) Press the Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.

5) Navigate to the extracted Standard Odin (NOT PRINCE COMSY) folder.

6) Double click on the "Odin3 v3.12.7" executable (Odin3 v3.12.7.exe).

7) Connect your phone to your computer with your USB cable.

8) You should see Odin output "Added!!" in the "Log" tab and underneath the "ID:COM" section, you should see an empty box turn blue.

9) Click on the "AP" box and navigate to the extracted Factory Binary folder. Double click on the file the starts with "COMBINATION".

10) Wait for Odin to load the file.

11) Go to the "Options" tab and make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked/ticked.

12) Go back to the "Log" tab.

13) Click the "Start" button on bottom right.

14) Odin will output what is being flashed in the "Log" and on a box in the top left.

15) The box in the top left will become green and in black letters say "PASS" once the flash was successful.

17) Leave your phone connected and let your it reboot into the 'factory binary homescreen' (Basically, the equivalent of a home screen on a regular S8).

18) Navigate to the "platform-tools-latest-windows" folder. Shift+Right click on any blank space in file explorer with that folder open, on your computer. Click on "Open command window here".

19) Type in "adb reboot bootloader". Leave ADB open.

20) Your phone will reboot into Download Mode. Your device should still be connected and ADB should also still be open.

21) Navigate to the Prince Comsy version of Odin and double click on the "Odin PrinceComsy" executable (Odin PrinceComsy.exe).

22) You should see the Prince Comsy version of Odin output "Added!!" in the "Log" tab and underneath the "ID:COM" section, you should see an empty box turn blue.

23) Click the "CSC" box and navigate to the extracted Canadian firmware.

24) Double click on the file that starts with "HOME_CSC" (DO NOT USE the "CSC" file for the "CSC" box). It should load quickly.

25) Go to the "Options" tab and make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked/ticked.

26) Go back to the "Log" tab.

27) Click the "Start" button on bottom right.

28) Odin will output what is being flashed in the "Log" and on a box in the top left.

29) The box in the top left will become green and in black letters say "PASS" once the flash was successful.

30) Once your phone reboots, you will see an "IME" button on the 'factory binary homescreen'. Its on the bottom. Tap on it.

31) A number pad should appear. Type in "*#243203855#".

32) A menu will pop up. Scroll down until you find an "XAC" option. Tap on it and tap "Install".

33) Your phone will reboot. Once it reaches the 'factory binary homescreen', go to ADB on your computer and type in "adb shell".

34) Type the following command: echo “SPR” > /efs/imei/mps_code.dat

35) Type in "exit" in the ADB shell.

36) Type in "adb reboot bootloader" and flash the Sprint standard firmware

Flashing Sprint Firmware ( Please download from https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120730433 ):

1) Extract your downloaded firmware to somewhere safe on your computer.

2) Turn off your S8.

3) Once off, hold the Power button, Volume Down button, and the Bixby button until you see a blue screen on your phone.

4) Press the Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.

5) On your computer, navigate to your extracted Odin folder.

6) Double click on the "Odin3 v3.12.7" executable (Odin3 v3.12.7.exe)

7) Connect your phone to your computer with your USB cable.

8) You should see Odin output "Added!!" in the "Log" tab and underneath the "ID:COM" section, you should see an empty box turn blue.

9) Now it's time to add your firmware files that were extracted earlier. Individually add an appropriate firmware file for each box on the right. The "BL" box will require a firmware file that starts with "BL", the "AP" box will require a firmware file that starts with "AP", the "CP" box will require a firmware file that starts with "CP", the "CSC" box will require a firmware file that starts with "CSC" (DO NOT USE THE "HOME_CSC" file for the "CSC" box), the "UMS" box will require a firmware file that starts with "USERDATA". The "AP" and "USERDATA" files will take the longest for Odin to load because of their size.

10) Go to the "Options" tab and make sure that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" are checked/ticked.

11) Go back to the "Log" tab.

12) Click the "Start" button on bottom right.

13) Sit back and relax for a while. Odin will output what is being flashed in the "Log" and on a box in the top left.

14) The box in the top left will become green and in black letters say "PASS" once the flash was successful.

15) Once the flash finished, disconnect your phone from your computer.

16) Your phone will do an erase at this point, so don't mess with your phone until you reach the setup screen.

17) PROFIT. Follow the setup on your phone and you're good to go.

18) Once your phone is booted make sure to get the latest OTA Sprint Firmware. Your phone will download it if you check for updates. 

The last step is uninstalling the Sprint Voice Mail application. Sprint’s virtual voicemail will not work on a flashed S8. 

1) Download “Package List” from Google Play

2) Scroll down and find out the name of the Sprint Virtual Voicemail application. (should be something like com.voicemail.xxx or something)

3) Run the following command: adb shell

4) Run the following command to uninstall the voicemail package: pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package id>  

You are done… after this you will have a converted S8 and get future OTA updates from Sprint. Please restore your Smart Switch Data. 

Update:  After putting a full days work traveling around my city and the surrounding area and using LTE calling, I'm impressed.  No dropped calls, all outgoing calls connected instantly, crystal clear voice, had a few of my Verizon friends ask me if I got a new phone because I sounded much clearer on their end.  Can't wait for full blown VoLTE.

• Like 5