Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

I sent you a message while back did you see that? It in the folds band 26.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yeah I know. I'm just letting him know that Sprint is still a very inconsistent experience in many areas that people can only dream of have decent data speeds. Without b41 it's hit or miss with band 25 and a no with b26. That's my point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would like to know this as well. Can't find anything online.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

This is a good question but I honestly don't think it matters.

On top of that HPUE is a gimmick no difference, there needs to be some serious optimization done because in its current form it's broken.

To me in my opinion HPUE does not live up to the claims that Sprint has made.

For all the expressed disappointment over HPUE, how many of you actually have done your due diligence and demonstrated that HPUE has been active in situations in which you think HPUE has been or should have been active?  Because I have not seen anyone provide any evidence of an active HPUE connection.  Assumptions do not cut it.

AJ

• Like 1

For all the expressed disappointment over HPUE, how many of you actually have done your due diligence and demonstrated that HPUE has been active in situations in which you think HPUE has been or should have been active? Because I have not seen anyone provide any evidence of an active HPUE connection. Assumptions do not cut it.

AJ

How do you provide evidence of a HPUE connection?

Engineering screens, man.  You have a Samsung, so you have lots of engineering screens.

AJ

Streaming video at a good rate while at a spot that never would work with a non_HPUE handset.

Streaming video at a good rate while at a spot that never would work with a non_HPUE handset.

Nope.  Streaming video requires next to zero usage on the uplink.  That would not be a good demonstration of HPUE.

AJ

Nope.  Streaming video requires next to zero usage on the uplink.  That would not be a good demonstration of HPUE.

AJ

Well, if you can not stream video on B-41 at the extended fringe area, then what good is HPUE?  Sounds like it will only help when you are doing some big upload. When you are streaming video, doesn't the handset send acknowledgements back to the cell site?

If you are in the B-41 fringe area and start an upload or download on band 25, will the session ever transfer to band 41?  Does the cell site just think the handset is the old non-HPUE type and never detect the HPUE capability?

How does the cell site know there is a HPUE handest involved if it is a download session.

HPUE *may* help keep connected to a B41 signal in an area you would have lost the signal due to no uplink signal getting back to the tower without HPUE. And HPUE will ensure that your uplink is more robust when you have a weak B41 signal. However, HPUE is all about the uplink. The downlink benefits will be limited. You guys need to de-link looking for HPUE by solely seeking download speeds and extended download coverage.

If HPUE does cause a range extension in a place you're located, the downlink signal will be pretty weak. So it likely will not be screaming fast, either. HPUE is more about VoLTE. Making sure your call is less likely to drop. And it will also help keep you from shifting back to B25, B26 or CDMA when you momentarily pass behind a building, etc. There will be some minor instances of data improvement, but they are mere fringe benefits.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 4

HPUE *may* help keep connected to a B41 signal in an area you would have lost the signal due to no uplink signal getting back to the tower without HPUE. And HPUE will ensure that your uplink is more robust when you have a weak B41 signal. However, HPUE is all about the uplink. The downlink benefits will be limited. You guys need to de-link looking for HPUE by solely seeking download speeds and extended download coverage.

If HPUE does cause a range extension in a place you're located, the downlink signal will be pretty weak. So it likely will not be screaming fast, either. HPUE is more about VoLTE. Making sure your call is less likely to drop. And it will also help keep you from shifting back to B25, B26 or CDMA when you momentarily pass behind a building, etc. There will be some minor instances of data improvement, but they are mere fringe benefits.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Your explanation is great. Thank you Robert but Neville Ray said it best when he said that there was less than 10% difference. I think he said something like 3-6%. It's just that Sprint is advertising 30% difference in b41 coverage when that's not the case at all that has us wondering.

Question for you guys. B41 is no longer listed on Samsung's website for the unlocked model why?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

But it is supported regardless. Don't know why they would remove such info. I'm connected to B41 right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you Robert but Neville Ray said it best when he said that there was less than 10% difference. I think he said something like 3-6%. It's just that Sprint is advertising 30% difference in b41 coverage when that's not the case at all that has us wondering.

Looking to Neville Ray for insight on band 41 HPUE makes perfect sense.  I know when I need service info on my Chrysler that I ask Ford.

AJ

• Like 4

Looking to Neville Ray for insight on band 41 HPUE makes perfect sense. I know when I need service info on my Chrysler that I ask Ford.

AJ

I know he doesn't have much experience with band 41. He was actually talking about HPUE with band 2/4.

I know he doesn't have much experience with band 41. He was actually talking about HPUE with band 2/4.

...which his network and its devices do not use.  So, do you think that he might have corporate reasons for downplaying the usefulness of HPUE?

And any parallel made here to band 2/4 FDD does not address the physical airlink differences between it and band 41 TDD.

AJ

• Like 3

Hmm, tonight is weird sitting on B26 at ~125dBm and I'm still connected, strange normally I would be on 3G. Pulling about 3Mbps haven't seen B41 all night at my local watering hole lol. So still even at almost the point of unusable LTE still wins over 3G, why is it holding on so long now randomly?

I didn't know if the G950 Unlocked supported HPUE so I flashed the Sprint (SPR) variant software on it. The Sprint software does seem to hold on to B41 a little longer and have a slightly faster upload speed on B41 (keep in mind I just did this yesterday). I wish in test mode these was someway I could tell... I left my girlfriends phone will running the unlocked software so I could do test mode side by side at some point. 

I didn't know if the G950 Unlocked supported HPUE so I flashed the Sprint (SPR) variant software on it. The Sprint software does seem to hold on to B41 a little longer and have a slightly faster upload speed on B41 (keep in mind I just did this yesterday). I wish in test mode these was someway I could tell... I left my girlfriends phone will running the unlocked software so I could do test mode side by side at some point. 

I did more checking and can see 26DB on B41 on the Unlocked Variant in test mode. I can say now that the unlocked version has HPUE enabled without needing to flash Sprint software.   

• Like 3

Tested out the GS8+ & its HPUE ability inside the Mission Viejo mall and its known dead and 3G spots. There were no improvements at all. I brought along my 910C unlocked Note 4 with a T-Mobile mint SIM card and I had strong LTE all around despite the phone not supporting Band 12.

I'm getting more certain I'll be leaving Sprint once the remaining 2 lines are finally out of contract. Band 26 would've been good to have but Mexico....

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk