Samsung Galaxy S8 & Dual Sim/Duos

Andrew Revering

I Re-Dug into this --- and I guess we already knew this, but Samsung looks like they are issuing a Dual-Sim version, but again UK & US are likely to miss out.

The model number will be SM-955FD, which means it's the International version, but with Dual-Sim.

Looking back on the specs from the Dual Sim S7 & International S8, they both have the same specs as far as frequencies supported go, which suggests that the Dual-Sim S8 will be missing the 2G/3G frequencies for Sprint, and only support the 3 LTE bands.

IE... using the International Dual-Sim S8 on Sprint is a no-go.

Will have to use the Sprint S8, get it unlocked, and use a Dual-Sim adapter, or just swap sims out if you want 2 carriers.

Samsung again fails with its limited color choices. You'd think they would offer the coral blue color option from the get-go after seeing how well-received the color was. I'm holding back on getting the GS8P until an unlocked coral blue variant is released.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Wanted the coral blue as well but I settled for the orchid grey, wish they would bring back that emerald green they had on the s6. In my opinion that color was the best looking one up til this point.

Played with the s8+ at the sprint store today and its not quite as large as I thought it was going to be.  Fingerprint reader is damn near in the right spot if your holding it with your right hand, if you hold it with your left then things get kinda awkward.  All in all its extremely snappy and its simply a wonderful looking phone.  Can't wait to get mines, oh and that orchid grey looks amazing.

• Like 3

I'm still debating what color I am going to get, might go with the light silver one definitely not black I've only ever had black phones time for something new.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, I try to mix things up as well. Had the s6 in gold, the s7e in silver now the s8+ in orchid grey.

Yeah, I try to mix things up as well. Had the s6 in gold, the s7e in silver now the s8+ in orchid grey.

Or wait on the Note 8

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I saw the S8 in person today. Even with a 5.8 inch display it still manages to look small. The plus looks Better.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

with the weird aspect ratio when viewing 16:9 content on the regular S8 you only get like 5.1 inches of real screen use, its around 5.5 on the S8+, i was reading a post on reddit where they said samsung said that the new aspect ratio was the future and more content would be using it, i told him to stuff it, its not happening for like 4+ years at least.

Just pre-ordered my S8+ (silver) and the S8 (orchid grey) for the wifey! 

Expensive phones but eff it. My Note5 is still rock solid, but time to move on.  Get in on that Galaxy for life too this way and put my wife and I on the same update cycle finally.....like sorority sisters. 

Picked up some USB-C items from Amazon today.  Maybe the OP can keep track of some of these things??  Might be too much overhead.  I'd like to hear what others are getting.  Since all my fast wireless chargers will already work, I really just need a few items for the car and some micro to USB-C adapters. 

Remember only buy stuff that's been approved by Benson Leung, the Google Engineer that tests tons of USB-C items. You can search him on Amazon. USB-C crappy products can fry your phone and start fires. 

From what I understand, the phones are only Quick Charge 2.0 compliant officially. They may pick up QC 4.0 compliance at some point as the chip supports it, but for now QC2.0 is the safe bet. 

Picked up these: 

micro-female to male USB-C

3x of these (6 total): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHKYIRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-3.0 to USB-C

1x of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2O1TOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

Just pre-ordered my S8+ (silver) and the S8 (orchid grey) for the wifey! 

Expensive phones but eff it. My Note5 is still rock solid, but time to move on.  Get in on that Galaxy for life too this way and put my wife and I on the same update cycle finally.....like sorority sisters. 

Picked up some USB-C items from Amazon today.  Maybe the OP can keep track of some of these things??  Might be too much overhead.  I'd like to hear what others are getting.  Since all my fast wireless chargers will already work, I really just need a few items for the car and some micro to USB-C adapters. 

Remember only buy stuff that's been approved by Benson Leung, the Google Engineer that tests tons of USB-C items. You can search him on Amazon. USB-C crappy products can fry your phone and start fires. 

From what I understand, the phones are only Quick Charge 2.0 compliant officially. They may pick up QC 4.0 compliance at some point as the chip supports it, but for now QC2.0 is the safe bet. 

Picked up these: 

micro-female to male USB-C

3x of these (6 total): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AHKYIRS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB-3.0 to USB-C

1x of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2O1TOC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just my $.02, but when I went to the 6P, I abandoned all previous USB-3.0 battery sources as even with the Google provided adapter / cable the phone would NOT charge "rapidly".  I only have one cord now that I use for flashing / updates, but all other times I use a C to C.  Seems silly to use these adapters when you lose the ability to fast charge the battery.

• Like 1

Just my $.02, but when I went to the 6P, I abandoned all previous USB-3.0 battery sources as even with the Google provided adapter / cable the phone would NOT charge "rapidly". I only have one cord now that I use for flashing / updates, but all other times I use a C to C. Seems silly to use these adapters when you lose the ability to fast charge the battery.

We'll see how it goes, but the 6P did not support the QC standard of rapid charging. I'm betting the Samsung phones will still work to charge fast. The adapters are mainly just to bridge through the 40 other micro USB devices we have. That'll be that way for a long time.

I'm prepared to update my car plugs and wall warts if necessary.

• Like 1

We'll see how it goes, but the 6P did not support the QC standard of rapid charging. I'm betting the Samsung phones will still work to charge fast. The adapters are mainly just to bridge through the 40 other micro USB devices we have. That'll be that way for a long time.

I'm prepared to update my car plugs and wall warts if necessary.

i didn't know that.  That would be interesting, curious to find out if that is in fact true.  Rapid charging thru type C is just so fast comparatively. Thanks for the information.

i didn't know that. That would be interesting, curious to find out if that is in fact true. Rapid charging thru type C is just so fast comparatively. Thanks for the information.

Obviously, I'll report back once I have them.

• Like 1

I'm guessing all the models are the same, they are just software locked. /shrug

The S7, as long as it was unlocked by Sprint, could be flashed to any other carrier ROM without tripping KNOX (even the carrier neutral ROM).  So it might be the same here.

One of mine shipped! (my phone, S8+) The S8 still doesn't have a tracking number. Perhaps it'll come soon.

I ordered mine on Friday for those keeping track.

• Like 2