LG G6 to be Sprint's first HPUE-capable device

RedSpark

I have multiple lines i am over (buying power with in family)

Anyway I brought 13 lines back to sprint...All but 4 are g6s lol its a smoking deal for a flagship phone.. 2 others are v20s, and 2, just wanted to use the older phones i still had...

1 of them already froze up while she was doing something with pandora?????

The G6 froze up? Mine always seems to be on fire.

was that a funny :blink::blink:

Very subtly. I'm just saying, it's not great being back on a snapdragon. They have a random heating issue followed by thermal throttling. Experienced that far less on the Samsung Exynos. It will be great when CDMA is gone, maybe Samsung will stick to homebrewed chips.

Very subtly. I'm just saying, it's not great being back on a snapdragon. They have a random heating issue followed by thermal throttling. Experienced that far less on the Samsung Exynos. It will be great when CDMA is gone, maybe Samsung will stick to homebrewed chips.

gotcha... I havent noticed a ton of heat off the G6... but the V20.... my sons got SUPER hot.. now I dont know if it was still upgrading things or settling in (had been activated for like 3 hrs)   But holy cow it was hot

gotcha... I havent noticed a ton of heat off the G6... but the V20.... my sons got SUPER hot.. now I dont know if it was still upgrading things or settling in (had been activated for like 3 hrs) But holy cow it was hot

I usually don't transfer over any of my aps for that same reason. It could very well be that it was installing apps if he chose to transfer them over.

HPUE doesn't appear to be working everywhere. Signal is near identical on 7+ and G6 in my office. Both devices change to B26 if I look at them wrong or breathe too deeply.

xkHtApN.jpg

CSSZ72j.png

• Like 1

HPUE doesn't appear to be working everywhere. Signal is near identical on 7+ and G6 in my office. Both devices change to B26 if I look at them wrong or breathe too deeply.

HPUE is not a 30% increase. It's 5-15% at best in my experience

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry to be harsh, people, but how many times do staff need to say this?!

HPUE affects uplink TxP, not downlink reception nor idle mode band selection.  Your HPUE handset will not necessarily camp on band 41 more often.  You cannot judge HPUE that way.

AJ

• Like 2

Sorry to be harsh, people, but how many times do staff need to say this?!

HPUE affects uplink TxP, not downlink reception nor idle mode band selection. Your HPUE handset will not necessarily camp on band 41 more often. You cannot judge HPUE that way.

AJ

The question then is how can it be measured? What are the real benefits?

I think a lot of people are confused about HPUE in general. Maybe a FAQ/Sticky could be created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The question then is how can it be measured? What are the real benefits?

I think a lot of people are confused about HPUE in general. Maybe a FAQ/Sticky could be created.

You are not supposed to measure HPUE.  That is not the point.  Less than one percent of users have SignalCheck Pro installed or have any other idea what band their handset is using at the time.  HPUE is supposed to improve transparently their overall data experience.

AJ

• Like 1

You are not supposed to measure HPUE. That is not the point. Less than one percent of users have SignalCheck Pro installed or have any other idea what band their handset is using at the time. HPUE is supposed to improve transparently their overall data experience.

AJ

But it doesn't without tinkering with the software. I would notice even if I didn't have knowledge of this that my experience has not improved.

But it doesn't without tinkering with the software. I would notice even if I didn't have knowledge of this that my experience has not improved.

That is flawed thinking.  What if without HPUE, your data experience would be diminishing, as it is across many operators?  If HPUE were helping you maintain the status quo, for example, that would be relative improvement.

AJ

You are not supposed to measure HPUE. That is not the point. Less than one percent of users have SignalCheck Pro installed or have any other idea what band their handset is using at the time. HPUE is supposed to improve transparently their overall data experience.

AJ

I'm on the same page now. A lot of people are definitely overthinking it including me.

Downlink signal doesn't change, only uplink and only when the data connection is not idle. I knew HPUE was a Tx power increase on the uplink/handset side, not sure why this didn't click.

There's no real way to tell unless I started streaming a movie near a tower with two devices and starting walking away from it.

My disappointment in my office was due to band switching at idle. When I'm streaming music I'm pretty sure the G6 does not drop to B26 like the iPhone.

I'm on the same page now. A lot of people are definitely overthinking it including me.

Downlink signal doesn't change, only uplink and only when the data connection is not idle. I knew HPUE was a Tx power increase on the uplink/handset side, not sure why this didn't click.

There's no real way to tell unless I started streaming a movie near a tower with two devices and starting walking away from it.

My disappointment in my office was due to band switching at idle. When I'm streaming music I'm pretty sure the G6 does not drop to B26 like the iPhone.

My S8+ still drops b41 when I am using data so....

The network definitely needs some tinkering. Most non-HPUE tri-band devices drop B41 at ~-117 RSRP (as they should due to uplink limitations).

But HPUE devices should continue to work on B41 once the RSRP falls below -118. Unfortunately they don't due to what seems to be network management.

Let's give Sprint some time before seeing how HPUE changes the network experience.

• Like 1

The network definitely needs some tinkering. Most non-HPUE tri-band devices drop B41 at ~-117 RSRP (as they should due to uplink limitations).

But HPUE devices should continue to work on B41 once the RSRP falls below -118. Unfortunately they don't due to what seems to be network management.

Let's give Sprint some time before seeing how HPUE changes the network experience.

I can't wait to see what sprint will do

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

By contrast, my G5 used to hang onto B41 down to about -125 dBm, even though it couldn't actually use the service.  It seems to have been recently improved and drops earlier.

- Trip

Also, HPUE is more about a quality VoLTE experience than it is about data. HPUE is only going to be useful in edge of service conditions, not within the existing footprint for B41. That's why it will be really important for VoLTE. It will mean millions of less dropped calls when signal conditions get weak, and there is no other band to hand off to.

Think of HPUE this way. You're inside a building. B41 small cell nearby, B25 macro cell too far away for indoor coverage. The B41 signal received at device is -115dBm RSRP. Strong enough to receive a VoLTE call. But the signal is not strong enough from your device to get back to the B41 small cell. Because your weak transmitter can't get through the roof of your building. But with HPUE, it might. At least enough for a phone call.

For VoLTE, HPUE opens up millions of little pockets and edge of cell signals for a better and more seamless VoLTE network. I'm convinced all these changes Sprint is making regarding small cells, magic boxes, HPUE all are about VoLTE.

Sprint really has no choice but to transition to VoLTE. And because of timelines of roaming transitions and the sunset of CDMA, their hand is kind of being forced to do it now. And that's why short term capex goals are focused where they are. In order for Sprint to have a quality voice over LTE experience in its existing coverage areas, it was going to have to address all the little issues within its footprint. Sprint customers are not going to accept call drops in areas its not had problems in the past. Small cells, magic boxes, HPUE are all a part of that.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 8

I will say that I have 2 G6 devices that are use (go in and out of great coverage) in fringe areas outside of town (rural) and they are MUCH better than the M9's they had previously as well as my 6P.  Holding calls, even HAVING data but also usable data etc... has really changed in a real way when they got their G6's. They might even be able to dump their Airrave finally. :)

• Like 3

I will say that I have 2 G6 devices that are use (go in and out of great coverage) in fringe areas outside of town (rural) and they are MUCH better than the M9's they had previously as well as my 6P. Holding calls, even HAVING data but also usable data etc... has really changed in a real way when they got their G6's. They might even be able to dump their Airrave finally. :)

Looks like the G6 just has a all around good radio but not much to do with HPUE

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this phone yesterday after having to replace my bolt due to screen issues. HPUE seems to do its thing, it will camp on -125 b41 which was still letting me get 10/1Mbps whereas the Bolt would drop to b25 or evdo. So far my only annoyance was having to figure out how to turn on the app drawer on the home screen. Overall it feels pretty nice and is very responsive. The rear fingerprint reader was hard to get used to but I found a thin case which makes it much easier to locate.

Are there any wireless charger that will work with a case on? My Nexus charger won't, the pho e detects something and throws up a screensaver but won't charge on it unless I pull it out of the case.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

• Like 1