LG G6 to be Sprint's first HPUE-capable device

RedSpark

For those for which this matters (obviously not everyone), they've also gone with a waterproof design this time around meaning no more removable/switchable battery.  I think LG was the last resort previously in this regard.   Here's a rundown from Engadget's coverage of MWC:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/26/lg-g6-preview-mwc/

• Like 3

Good to know my LG V20 with "advanced programmable modem" is already outdated.  :(

Can they add this functionality to the V20?

Perhaps they can.  Either way, should OEM's stop developing or incorporating new technologies in their new devices to avoid rendering the perception of their older devices obsolete?

Perhaps they can.  Either way, should OEM's stop developing or incorporating new technologies in their new devices to avoid rendering the perception of their older devices obsolete?

We're talking about the LG V20, not an LG G4. It was released just months ago, during a time when Sprint knew HPUE was right around the corner. I'm sure Sprint and LG have conversations about what Sprint needs in their phones.

In addition, LG advertised as the modem as "future proof."

• Like 3

We're talking about the LG V20, not an LG G4. It was released just months ago, during a time when Sprint knew HPUE was right around the corner. I'm sure Sprint and LG have conversations about what Sprint needs in their phones.

Tech gets outdated with new releases all the time. New LTE bands, processor features, camera quirks etc. Nothing is ever future proof. Whatever was necessary to make HPUE work just probably wasn't available in time for the V20. It doesn't make the V20 instantly worthless, it just doesn't have the latest and greatest.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

It can happen. A good example probably is the Note 4 and the Note Edge. Note 4 doesn't have CA because Samsung wanted to get that out first and the chipset was in shorter supply. Edge is basically the same phone but received CA having been released a month or so later.

For those for which this matters (obviously not everyone), they've also gone with a waterproof design this time around meaning no more removable/switchable battery. I think LG was the last resort previously in this regard. Here's a rundown from Engadget's coverage of MWC:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/26/lg-g6-preview-mwc/

It was definitely a good move to ditch the removable battery for the waterproof design. The removable battery exposed small creases where water csn seep in and to be honest having it waterproof (IP68) is now a must with the high end smartphones.

People rely on their phones everywhere and what bothered me on my current Note 5 is whether i can use it safely in the rain. Forget about trying to shower with it or take it to a waterpark. All i care about is whether i can view it in the rain safely and/or if there was an incident where a small drink was spilled on the phone.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I disagree. Removable battery is way more useful for me than having a waterproof phone. I don't plan on using my phone in the water. Removable battery is something different from Apple and Samsung, now its the same so why should I choose LG over the others especially with an older processor.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I disagree. Removable battery is way more useful for me than having a waterproof phone. I don't plan on using my phone in the water. Removable battery is something different from Apple and Samsung, now its the same so why should I choose LG over the others especially with an older processor.

That is not the only thing that is different between the S8 and G6.  There is also the dual camera setup which Samsung does not have.  Also the base non-removable battery for the G6 (3300 maH) is going to be larger than the the S8 (rumored 3000 maH).

Of course to each their own.  By the way if you didn't read my previous post, I didn't say anything about using in the water.  Its just easier nowadays just to carry a mini battery pack to give you that charge that replaces a removable battery. 

I know what you meant I was just being sarcastic about using in water lol. They always show videos of people dropping their phones in puddles but if that happens water isn't the biggest issue. Unless it's screen is unbreakable I prefer battery.

That is not the only thing that is different between the S8 and G6.  There is also the dual camera setup which Samsung does not have.  Also the base non-removable battery for the G6 (3300 maH) is going to be larger than the the S8 (rumored 3000 maH).

Of course to each their own.  By the way if you didn't read my previous post, I didn't say anything about using in the water.  Its just easier nowadays just to carry a mini battery pack to give you that charge that replaces a removable battery. 

If you plan on using the device for more than a year, the removable battery aspect is very important. Battery life has improved somewhat, but I am already seeing a decrease in total battery capacity on my LG G5 and I haven't owned it for a year yet. I'll likely be replacing the battery soon because the current one is slowly but surely losing capacity. 

• Like 2

If you plan on using the device for more than a year, the removable battery aspect is very important. Battery life has improved somewhat, but I am already seeing a decrease in total battery capacity on my LG G5 and I haven't owned it for a year yet. I'll likely be replacing the battery soon because the current one is slowly but surely losing capacity. 

Beside that very important point ^, I truly believe having a removable battery would have lessen the issue with battery problems. For example, the Galaxy Note 7. By Samsungs' own admission, the cause were due to two separate battery flaws and not the device itself. Having a removable battery would have made it easier to send back the battery back instead of the whole device. Having a metal back, totally fused instead of a removable plastic back is mute especially since the majority put their device in a protective cover. The same for LG or any other manufacturer.

TS

• Like 2

Me too I pre-ordered mine the other day

Ugh, T-Mobile started yesterday and already shipping....friend already has tracking number!!!!

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh, T-Mobile started yesterday and already shipping....friend already has tracking number!!!!

[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's annoying I hate waiting for it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk