so how do people feel that verizon is doing unlimited again?

stuckinohio1

Ars, one difference. The stupid ass DirecTV requirement.

AT&T has to get rid of that stat...right?

Absolutely AT&T does need to remove the requirement, but as I pointed out in another post I believe may be in the AT&T thread, I think AT&T will have two unlimited data plans, one for those without the television service, to compete with Verizon, etc., then another more exclusive for those with the television service.

I believe the reason Verizon isn't requiring television service with unlimited data, is because they don't have their own large national television service to use as a requirement. Verizon's Fios is only local/regional, certainly not in the same league as AT&T's DirecTv.

AT&T's use of their unlimited data plan was meant as a way to promote subscriptions and viewing usage to DirecTv. Now, AT&T is needing to figure out how they want to restructure their plans. When they do, they'll reveal it to the public. I figure the plan without the required television service will closely resemble the pricing and structure of Verizon's unlimited data plan.

This is brilliant/shrewd move by Verizon.  Like the other carriers have done in the past, they have increased their prices on the lower levels and are hoping people will go to the highest price plan they offer --- but not use it.  If they do use it, they now have the ability to curb it after 22GB.  After losing subsidies on the ED1500 plan, I was waiting until mid-March to switch my 5 lines to the Verizon Large plan.  I have 1 phone on contract until that time.  The plan would have given us 18GB a month (plenty for us) for $34 per line before taxes.  Now, I can only get 8GB for that price.

Did anyone see that to get the auto-pay discount, you must pay with debit or checking – no credit cards?  I would certainly have to think about that before handing over my bank info.

• Like 1

This is brilliant/shrewd move by Verizon.  Like the other carriers have done in the past, they have increased their prices on the lower levels and are hoping people will go to the highest price plan they offer --- but not use it.  If they do use it, they now have the ability to curb it after 22GB.  After losing subsidies on the ED1500 plan, I was waiting until mid-March to switch my 5 lines to the Verizon Large plan.  I have 1 phone on contract until that time.  The plan would have given us 18GB a month (plenty for us) for $34 per line before taxes.  Now, I can only get 8GB for that price.

Did anyone see that to get the auto-pay discount, you must pay with debit or checking – no credit cards?  I would certainly have to think about that before handing over my bank info.

Have you considered AT&T also? I know currently there is a television service requirement to get on their unlimited data plan. However, that may change soon, if AT&T decides they need to better compete with this new plan from Verizon.

One thing I heard though about this Verizon unlimited data plan that seems worse than AT&T's current tv service required unlimited data plan, is Verizon considers the 22gb potential throttle limit a shared limit for all lines, whereas I know from my account with AT&T, they consider the 22gb potential throttle limit effective for each individual line. Meaning that on AT&T, if one line uses up 22gb and gets throttled, it won't affect the other lines on the plan, whereas on Verizon using the same scenario, it will, At least, this is from what I understand of the Verizon unlimited plan from what I've read.

Did anyone see that to get the auto-pay discount, you must pay with debit or checking – no credit cards? I would certainly have to think about that before handing over my bank info.

They are just trying to save a few pennies. Debit/checking transactions are cheaper than credit cards. I prefer to pay with a credit card so I can earn points.

They are just trying to save a few pennies. Debit/checking transactions are cheaper than credit cards. I prefer to pay with a credit card so I can earn points.

I have a credit card for auto pay and it shows the discount.  I don't think it's just limited to debit/checkings.

I have a credit card for auto pay and it shows the discount. I don't think it's just limited to debit/checkings.

Are you on one of the new single line plans? They show autopay discount being a debit or checking only.

This is brilliant/shrewd move by Verizon. Like the other carriers have done in the past, they have increased their prices on the lower levels and are hoping people will go to the highest price plan they offer --- but not use it. If they do use it, they now have the ability to curb it after 22GB. After losing subsidies on the ED1500 plan, I was waiting until mid-March to switch my 5 lines to the Verizon Large plan. I have 1 phone on contract until that time. The plan would have given us 18GB a month (plenty for us) for $34 per line before taxes. Now, I can only get 8GB for that price.

Did anyone see that to get the auto-pay discount, you must pay with debit or checking – no credit cards? I would certainly have to think about that before handing over my bank info.

Keeping in mind too that Verizon is known to cause massive billing issues. I had Verizon at a time very briefly many years ago, when I subscribed to their "National Access Unlimited Data" where the sales representative screwed up at starting our account. My mother and I got a bill over a thousand dollars, which we responded to by going back into the Verizon corporate store and fortunately the district manager was there that day and immediately resolved the problem, after I made the case loud and clear for me to get the point across to him.

Anyone hearing about new pricing coming out tomorrow concerning unlimited and competing with Verizon and t mobile? This is what i read on a different site but didn't see it here which I thought was odd..if it is already posted, could you please link me to it...here ya go..

Here's what Sprint is coming out with tomorrow (2/17):

4 lines for $22.50 per month, per line.

Savings until 3/31/2018; then $60.00 month for line 1, $40 for line 2 and $30 month for lines 3 - 4.

Streams video at up to HD 1080p, music at up to 1.5 mpbs, gaming at up to 8 mbps. Data deprioritization (probably not a factor since not many people use Sprint :-) ). MSH, P2P and VPN reduced to 2G speeds after 10 GB per month. Yes, 2G would be like watching paint dry. But don't see that as an issue for us.

And this now includes 10 GB Mobile Hotspot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone hearing about new pricing coming out tomorrow concerning unlimited and competing with Verizon and t mobile? This is what i read on a different site but didn't see it here which I thought was odd..if it is already posted, could you please link me to it...here ya go..

Savings until 3/31/2018; then $60.00 month for line 1, $40 for line 2 and $30 month for lines 3 - 4.

Streams video at up to HD 1080p, music at up to 1.5 mpbs, gaming at up to 8 mbps. Data deprioritization (probably not a factor since not many people use Sprint :-) ). MSH, P2P and VPN reduced to 2G speeds after 10 GB per month. Yes, 2G would be like watching paint dry. But don't see that as an issue for us.

Yes the promo is for new customers only.  Also the 2G speeds (32 kbps) after 10 GB is a bit ridiculous.  I mean the point of it is tethering so is there even any point of offering tethering at such slow speeds.  I think Sprint should have at least offered 128 or 256 kbps which is still a far cry from Tmobile's 3G (512 kbps) and Verizon's 3G (600 kbps) of continuing tethering after 10 GB for the rest of the month.

Sprint loves to boast about how much spectrum and capacity that they have and how they can supply capacity for the masses for years to come but yet they are so chicken on proving that they have that capacity by offering some more competitive speeds.

• Like 1

Anyone hearing about new pricing coming out tomorrow concerning unlimited and competing with Verizon and t mobile? This is what i read on a different site but didn't see it here which I Trashthought was odd..if it is already posted, could you please link me to it...here ya go..

That plan was mentioned in the Marcelo thread. Apparently as with most promotions Sprint reveals nowadays, once again Sprint decides to not allow current Sprint customers to get the latest promotional plan. Besides this point, the plan isn't bad now that this is a more speed-friendly starter unlimited data plan. Video Streaming up to 1080p, Audio Streaming up to 1.5mbps, and Game Streaming up to 8mbps, is much better to begin with than the awful setup from before, which was VS ut 480p, AS ut 500kbps, and GS ut 2mbps.

The promotional rate is great at $90 monthly for two lines as I 've read about this from the Marcelo thread. That is the equivalent of $45 monthly per line. I've been promoting that pricing point in many of my posts on S4GRU regarding rate plans. The downside though, is this rate increases to $60 monthly for the first line, with $40 for the second line, totalling $100 monthly. Still, that is not a bad rate at all, but it isn't as good of a deal T-Mobile is offering at $100 for two lines. The reason being, is that T-Mobile includes all taxes and other governmental fees in the deal. That makes T-Mobile's pricing for the service portion of the cost at $45 for each of the two lines, then $10 for the government.

so ATT now offers unlimited with no strings attached, for $100/mo and no tethering, yeah no not even slightly interested.

I have the AT&T deal from when they forced television service on customers in order to qualify for eligibility in getting the unlimited data plan. I'm dropping the AT&T television service today, now that it no longer is required, and while I get a roughly $30 monthly discount from the $140 monthly unlimited data two-line rate - the only way it makes sense not to get the two line for $100 plan from T-Mobile is if you're in an area where AT&T is better, I may still switch out of AT&T.

I'm considering taking my line to Verizon's $80 monthly unlimited data plan, while my mother may switch with her Lumia 950xl to a $35 monthly 3gb Cricket plan. She doesn't use much data, and 3gb monthly is plenty for web browsing and gps map directions, which is all she would use data for anyways. In regards to pricing, we'd only be paying about $5 more that way than we currently are. I think it would work out better though, and it would be a good start for if I were ever needing to expand my subscription to the Verizon unlimited data plan in accommodating additional lines.

So I cobbled together 10 lines with a military discount.  No idea how it is going to play out when the bill hits but it should be the cheapest plan around.  Either way, it will be between 25.50 and 28.50 or so plus taxes and fees of about 2.80/line.

It's nice being able to legit swap sims between phone/tablet/mifi without verizon getting upset about it.

As for coverage, I will say that T-Mobile is without question better most places I actually visit.  T-Mobile's network is WAY denser than Verizon's.  On state roads in up state New York, Verizon's coverage is marginally better but not by much.  Those towers must have no downtilt on them.  You drive for miles and miles with 1 bar or no bars.

Sprint lags a distant third to both T-mobile and Verizon in urban, suburban, and rural.  I have no idea what Sprint is doing.  Is Sprint fine? YES, it's fine.  Perfectly usable.  It's just slower and has marginally the worst coverage.  All networks have come so far, it really doesn't matter but frankly their promo pricing is a scam and once that is over I don't see much value.

It's very clear when you look at the gains T-Mobile has made and why Verizon brought back UDP.  I can't get over the density of T-Mobile's network.  People think Verizon is magical, but on interstates around upstate New York where you would think Verizon would have the advantage, T-Mobile actually seems to do better.  It's only when you get on back roads/state roads where the advantage flips back to VZN.

Anyway, I think T-Mobile is well priced just below Verizon.  If I had 4 lines, I'd probably go T-Mobile.  T-Mobile's free gogo internet, T-Mobile Tuesday's and other perks are pretty neat (I have and will keep a T-Mobile unlimited plan).

Sorry for the rambles, a lot of thoughts and it is early...

• Like 4

So I cobbled together 10 lines with a military discount.  No idea how it is going to play out when the bill hits but it should be the cheapest plan around.  Either way, it will be between 25.50 and 28.50 or so plus taxes and fees of about 2.80/line.

It's nice being able to legit swap sims between phone/tablet/mifi without verizon getting upset about it.

As for coverage, I will say that T-Mobile is without question better most places I actually visit.  T-Mobile's network is WAY denser than Verizon's.  On state roads in up state New York, Verizon's coverage is marginally better but not by much.  Those towers must have no downtilt on them.  You drive for miles and miles with 1 bar or no bars.

Sprint lags a distant third to both T-mobile and Verizon in urban, suburban, and rural.  I have no idea what Sprint is doing.  Is Sprint fine? YES, it's fine.  Perfectly usable.  It's just slower and has marginally the worst coverage.  All networks have come so far, it really doesn't matter but frankly their promo pricing is a scam and once that is over I don't see much value.

It's very clear when you look at the gains T-Mobile has made and why Verizon brought back UDP.  I can't get over the density of T-Mobile's network.  People think Verizon is magical, but on interstates around upstate New York where you would think Verizon would have the advantage, T-Mobile actually seems to do better.  It's only when you get on back roads/state roads where the advantage flips back to VZN.

Anyway, I think T-Mobile is well priced just below Verizon.  If I had 4 lines, I'd probably go T-Mobile.  T-Mobile's free gogo internet, T-Mobile Tuesday's and other perks are pretty neat (I have and will keep a T-Mobile unlimited plan).

Sorry for the rambles, a lot of thoughts and it is early...

T-Mobile definitely seems to be getting up there close to Verizon, no denying that for sure. As I've had difficulty with my AT&T home internet service the past few days, I've been thinking a lot about switching, etc. I've also been thinking about the whole merger situation, and while I still think AT&T will make a move for T-Mobile upon an offer made by Softbank, I believe something else could end up happening afterwards that might change it, if DT really means what they claimed when they mentioned having no interest in selling T-Mobile, which I have no evidence to doubt them on.

If DT is not going to sell T-Mobile, that ruins AT&T's chances at buying, and also ruins Sprint's. I seriously doubt DT is going to try buying Sprint, just the same as I doubt the FCC would allow that to happen. I believe it is possible Verizon might make an offer to buy Sprint, while DT/T-Mobile makes a move for Dish, to buy Dish, not the other way around. Verizon could end up merging with Comcast later on, creating a national television service for them using the combined Verizon/Sprint networks, which such spectrum assets would be great on.

T-Mobile with Dish could then progress with future airwave technologies and an Airgig-like competitor to AT&T and DirecTv. While Verizon would have more spectrum than both AT&T and T-Mobile, considering Sprint in this scenario, it would be a different case of competition, as AT&T and T-Mobile would have near equal levels of spectrum with T-Mobile controlling Dish, in mind. Verizon would be doing something different, focusing on cable with Comcast, rather than satellites and whatever else AT&T and T-Mobile is doing, unless Verizon gets in to the Artemis project for use with the 2.5ghz band 41 spectrum and Comcast. I think one of these scenarios is going to happen.

I believe it is possible Verizon might make an offer to buy Sprint, while DT/T-Mobile makes a move for Dish, to buy Dish, not the other way around. Verizon could end up merging with Comcast later on, creating a national television service for them using the combined Verizon/Sprint networks, which such spectrum assets would be great on.

Let me help you out: there is 0% chance of Verizon merging with Sprint.

Let me help you out: there is 0% chance of Verizon merging with Sprint.

Well, that is your opinion. In fairness, there is a chance for everything, even a far off idea as Verizon and AT&T merging, which someone mentioned on S4GRU earlier as an example of what the FCC is capable of allowing in this environment. Even someone I spoke with at a nearby Verizon corporate store told me the idea sounded very interesting and somethings going to happen with the way things are going.

Well, that is your opinion. In fairness, there is a chance for everything, even a far off idea as Verizon and AT&T merging, which someone mentioned on S4GRU earlier as an example of what the FCC is capable of allowing in this environment. Even someone I spoke with at a nearby Verizon corporate store told me the idea sounded very interesting and somethings going to happen with the way things are going.

Even being pro business there is no way the Trump administration would allow Verizon and AT&T to merge. There would be huge job losses between the two companies merging, not to mention the combined debt of the two companies would be astronomical.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Even being pro business there is no way the Trump administration would allow Verizon and AT&T to merge. There would be huge job losses between the two companies merging, not to mention the combined debt of the two companies would be astronomical.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Its definitely not likely to happen. I can imagine it being more likely than a few other merger arrangements, but nothing so likely either.

I've been giving more thought into the cable mergers with wireless and some plan ideas I think might be available at that point. For instance, cable companies that offer large home internet plans, such as in the range of 250mbps, could have a bundled deal if people pick and choose different parts of the service rolling back unlimited for very large amounts of data with possible deprioritization. I'll eventually write a post here on S4GRU with the details when I think of the best plan scenario.